PDA

View Full Version : Well I tried the online air battles for the third time!

txnetcop
April 18th, 2010, 09:18
OK I'm not 19 but my reflexes are pretty darn good for old guy. I am long time student in Tae Kwon Do and my rank is yondan (fourth degree black) so even older and fatter my reflexes are still pretty fast. I got my arse kicked all the over the place!!!!!! :isadizzy:
Even when I got a shot, the plane I am shooting at just takes off like a rocket in another direction-how is that possible? Are there cheats for this that these kids are using? One airplane I peppered to pieces and it would not fall from the sky and he out-turned me and killed me with plane that should have had more holes in it and than a cheese grader.

I am really trying to like this sim. It's gorgeous!! Of course I don't have a lot of time either but it isn't like I have never excelled at air combat on simulation! I was hunter/killer in CFS2 in it's heyday! What am I doing wrong? I have a fast system, fast internet, and I know air combat tactics. I read everything I can get my hands on. I like the Fokker VII This is frustrating!
Ted

Panther_99FS
April 18th, 2010, 10:02
TXNETCOP,
I hope there aren't any "mods" like CFS-1 had when you played online....

txnetcop
April 18th, 2010, 10:05
LOL!!!

Snuffy
April 18th, 2010, 11:04
Sorry to hear that Ted ... just goes to show that there is always going to be someone better.

Of course when you have 3 guys on yer tail someone's bound to get lucky. LOL!

txnetcop
April 18th, 2010, 12:16
Heck Ted they didn't need three guys, some kid named WARACE just ate my lunch every time I took to the skies. I holed his plane so badly that it was mangled and he still was able to fly at speed and shoot me down-that's just wrong LOL
Ted

Matt Wynn
April 18th, 2010, 12:17
i've had a few fights like that Ted... , my main tactic used to be to try getting above them and take their wing out using my gear... not a great tactic.... it kinda worked... then i learned to go for the wings... and rake it towards the cockpit... but as is said theres always someone better... get one on your 6 theres a good chance you'll shake them, get 3 you're in for a long fight.... i normally make a sweeping left turn then as they open fire roll inverted and pull through or roll all the way around and go in the opposite direction.... kinda tricky if you're low (Don't ask me how many trees i'd have flattened or Greenpeace will be after me)...

EDIT: after reading that Ted, use your aircraft as a battering Ram :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
April 18th, 2010, 12:58
Altitude = energy :)

txnetcop
April 18th, 2010, 15:11
You know that part about using my aircraft as a battering ram did occur to me out of frustration.
"On the morrow I shall battle again, my steed and I shall run to the sound of the bugle call, with lance in hand will I defeat my foe, and I shall proclaim the right of liberty for all!" In other words I'm gonna give it another shot (pardon the pun)
Ted

Panther_99FS
April 18th, 2010, 18:50
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_024a.html

txnetcop
April 19th, 2010, 04:35
I looked it over last night P. It's not my tactics. That Pflaz he was flying just took off like a rocket. He was out of sight in seconds and I was in a Fokker DVII running flat out. His engine was smoking so how could he get away in a slower, wounded aircraft running straight and level? Not only that, seconds later climb above me and hit me out of the sun in a smoking aircraft-I don't buy it! Somebody is modding these aircraft. If that's true I'm done with flying this online. The A.I. aircraft operate more like the real thing in combat and you can beat them most of the time after a little practice.
Ted

CH_OldZeke
April 19th, 2010, 07:35
Sounds like the old cfs zone days. I had tons of fun playing the zone but there were lots of times when a modder would mess with us. Seems there are always a few that think winning justifies hacking/cheating.

As to getting "older" ;) I'm getin there too... I still play WWIIOL/BE excluseively, comeing up on 9 years ingame. Was a time I could hold my own but now days the young folks seem to handle me pretty easily. There are some awesome virtual pilots around the web.

I've not got RoF yet although I'd love a "new" Red Barron type game/sim.

Panther_99FS
April 19th, 2010, 07:48
Sounds like the old cfs zone days. I had tons of fun playing the zone but there were lots of times when a modder would mess with us. Seems there are always a few that think winning justifies hacking/cheating.

Agreed...tx, sounds to like you might have faced a "mod".....

(Boom n' Zoom is me though) :)

lucas81
April 25th, 2010, 05:29
txnetcop,

I would like to suggest you the following - grab a SPAD 13! Yes, she is a flying brick, the cockpit visibility is not very good, but...
- this is the fastest plane in game (up to 10k ft)
- her diving speed (about 350 km/h) allows you to escape anyone
- she has a very nice climb ratio

The SPAD allows you to engage/disengage in any time you wish. Yet, you have to be very patient, as she is not so maneouverable as the Dr.I, Pfalz D.IIIa, or the Albatros D.Va. It is a kind of flying brick. What you have to do is practise your marksmanship. Set your guns to 100meters, practise attacking convoys - one pass - one, two vehicles.
The SPAD is fantastic against regular D.VII and Albatroses. However, while fighting against the Dr.I, I'd recommend to have some wingman sitting in the similar plane, or in the Camel.

The current multiplayer servers promote the Camel and the Dr.I. Personally, I don't like it, because i prefer boom and zoom tactics rather than turn fighting. So, if you fly the Mercedes-powered Fokker D.VII against the Camels, you will die quickly, no matter how good you are. The Camel will easily outmaneouver you and you will be helpless.
If you, however, prefer the German planes, get the BMW-powered D.VII F or switch to the Albatros D.Va, if you have only stock plane set. The Alby has better handling than the D.VII and with some luck, you can beat the camel. The disadvantage is poor climb speed and level speed.

Personally, I fly the SPAD and Iam very happy with her. Even though I have all the addon planes, I simply prefer her because of the rich instrumentation, including radiator temp. gauge and the performance mentioned above. However, everything depends on the personal preferences. Some prefer b'n'z, some turning, some Allied planes and some Central Power ones.

Good luck!

PS: And NO, the game is a very secure and there is no way to add additional content, if you are playing in "MODS OFF" mode.