PDA

View Full Version : PNW Logging Roads

mmann
April 18th, 2010, 08:31
I was planning to buy Orbx Pacific Northwest but I might have to change my plans. When I was visiting a friend who has PNW installed on his system, I asked him to fly around the Comox Valley (my favorite area) and noticed that there were virtually no logging roads showing. Even the mainline roads were not appearing. When I told him to disable PNW and allow his UTX Canada to show, all the logging roads appeared! As I fly mainly VFR the appearance of these roads is very important, if I buy PNW is there a way to have them appear?

6297J
April 18th, 2010, 08:57
:bump:

Bump cos I'm interested to hear the answer

Timber
April 18th, 2010, 09:12
You may want to post this question in the FTX forum at http://orbxsystems.com/forums/

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 09:29
I was planning to buy Orbx Pacific Northwest but I might have to change my plans. When I was visiting a friend who has PNW installed on his system, I asked him to fly around the Comox Valley (my favorite area) and noticed that there were virtually no logging roads showing. Even the mainline roads were not appearing. When I told him to disable PNW and allow his UTX Canada to show, all the logging roads appeared! As I fly mainly VFR the appearance of these roads is very important, if I buy PNW is there a way to have them appear?

I would get it anyway. This is an area I'm flying in right now. The island has a handful of uncharted airstrips and unadvertised jewels. One of the uncharted airstrips on Vancouver island is a beach side lodge with a sloped runway and tons of scenery objects.

You don't know what you're missing. There is so much to discover that they can't tell us half of it, and they don't because it appears they want you to be able to find your own adventures.

I don't know what logging roads are supposed to be there, but there are logging areas with trucks and piles of logs and stuff around. I'd be willing to bet UTX doesn't have actual logging scenery like PNW does.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/screenshots/2010-4-10_0-1-19-724.jpg

beware of curved and sloped airstrips:
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/screenshots/Series%20shots/2010-4-13_13-23-2-374.jpg

TONS of backwater uncharted airstrips and mountain-top forestry camps and helipads to keep you busy.
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/walkeramerican/screenshots/Series%20shots/2010-4-12_19-26-12-160.jpg

mmann
April 18th, 2010, 09:33
You may want to post this question in the FTX forum at http://orbxsystems.com/forums/

Done!

mmann
April 18th, 2010, 14:12
Having posted to the ORBX site I kindly received a reply from Holger Sandmann in part stating "I just checked the new data and looks like Comox is covered in full detail so there will be plenty of logging roads once the service pack is ready for release." So it looks like an upcoming service pack will address this problem. Hope this helps anyone else who may have noticed issue.

6297J
April 18th, 2010, 21:19
Good catch mmann! Funny no one else seems to have noticed!

Holger Sandmann
April 18th, 2010, 21:33
Good catch mmann! Funny no one else seems to have noticed!

Hi 6297J,

not surprising at all. There are tens of thousands of miles of logging roads in the PNW package and only two smallish "holes" for which we didn't have data prior to release. It does take someone very familiar with the area to spot these gaps.

Cheers, Holger

6297J
April 18th, 2010, 23:19
Hi 6297J,

not surprising at all. There are tens of thousands of miles of logging roads in the PNW package and only two smallish "holes" for which we didn't have data prior to release. It does take someone very familiar with the area to spot these gaps.

Cheers, Holger

Even more kudos to the eagle-eyed OP then :salute:

warchild
April 19th, 2010, 03:24
Also you need to remember that most people wont be flying choppers through here. I myself am usually in the epic or the c-27 as fire season hasnt started yet.. Once fire season starts, then yeah, i'm going to be payng real close attention as i map out the extent of each fire, but till then, its simply home, and someplace for me to relax, work and play.. ::LOL:; Guess its what i get for seriously needing a life..

peter12213
April 19th, 2010, 04:16
Also you need to remember that most people wont be flying choppers through here. I myself am usually in the epic or the c-27 as fire season hasnt started yet.. Once fire season starts, then yeah, i'm going to be payng real close attention as i map out the extent of each fire, but till then, its simply home, and someplace for me to relax, work and play.. ::LOL:; Guess its what i get for seriously needing a life..

Your no the only one Pam! lol

MCDesigns
April 19th, 2010, 09:47
The tell, tell signs of logging and deforestation is my least fav part of PNW. Heaven forbid you guys do the Amazon, will have to think twice on that purchase :eek:, LOL. I'm surprised that haven't lynched me at the office yet with my rants on our misuse of paper products.:redface:

spotlope
April 19th, 2010, 10:24
The tell, tell signs of logging and deforestation is my least fav part of PNW. Heaven forbid you guys do the Amazon, will have to think twice on that purchase :eek:, LOL. I'm surprised that haven't lynched me at the office yet with my rants on our misuse of paper products.:redface:

Don't shoot the messengers, Michael. ;)