PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding information on this historical US Navy artifact.

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2010, 04:47
My cousin has a ship's compass that (I believe) was originally installed in a US Navy WW1 ship.

The compass, for years, was located inside the Heslar Naval Armory in Indianapolis. All the people who may have known the history of this artifact have long since passed.

I have attached a picture of it, and will repost with the serial numbers/manufacturer information; hoping that someone on this forum can shed some light on what ship this may have originally been installed on?

Thanks. NC

Craig Taylor
April 18th, 2010, 09:00
Hi Chief,

I think what you have there is a pelorus, rather than a ship's compass. I remember using them while navigating around Chesapeake Bay as a midshipman. That might help you narrow it down. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

From Wikipedia: "In appearance and use, a pelorus resembles a compass or compass repeater, with sighting vanes or a sighting telescope attached"

Maybe you could get on that show "History Detectives" that runs on PBS. I've seen them research some very interesting artifacts. On a recent show they helped a guy research a speedometer (probably not the correct term) that may have come from the Hindenburg airship.

Piglet
April 18th, 2010, 15:53
Just hope no one opens that door and knocks it over!:jump:

Willy
April 18th, 2010, 16:45
One thing it's missing are the iron spheres that are attached to marine magnetic compasses for adjusting them to the local magnetic field to counter deviation and the natural magnetic field of the ship. Every compass I've ever seen on a Navy ship had those.

That looks more to me like what I've seen on bridge wings that the Quartermasters use to shoot bearings.

Willy
former Chief Engineer and 2nd in cmd, Accohanoc (YTM-545)

Navy Chief
April 18th, 2010, 17:02
Hi Chief,

I think what you have there is a pelorus, rather than a ship's compass. I remember using them while navigating around Chesapeake Bay as a midshipman. That might help you narrow it down. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

From Wikipedia: "In appearance and use, a pelorus resembles a compass or compass repeater, with sighting vanes or a sighting telescope attached"

Maybe you could get on that show "History Detectives" that runs on PBS. I've seen them research some very interesting artifacts. On a recent show they helped a guy research a speedometer (probably not the correct term) that may have come from the Hindenburg airship.

Craig

You are correct about it being a Pelorus; leastwise, that is the manufacturer stamped on it. There are some serial/model numbers which I hope will lead to more information on it. When I get the info from my cousin, I will post it.

NC

deKoven
April 19th, 2010, 04:17
Craig

You are correct about it being a Pelorus; leastwise, that is the manufacturer stamped on it. There are some serial/model numbers which I hope will lead to more information on it. When I get the info from my cousin, I will post it.

NC

No, no. If pelorus is stamped on it that isn't the mfg'er's name. That is what it IS, not where it came from. :) And yep, it's missing its balls :salute:

Navy Chief
April 19th, 2010, 04:33
I cropped one of the the pictures of the data plate inside the Pelorus. Maybe this information can help?

NC

rpjkw
April 19th, 2010, 04:47
NC,

go to Ships Nostalgia, www.shipsnostalgia.com, and post your question and pics there. Those guys are not only very helpful but they know their stuff. I'd be very surprised if your questions aren't answered in spades.

Bob

Navy Chief
April 19th, 2010, 08:30
NC,

go to Ships Nostalgia, www.shipsnostalgia.com (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com), and post your question and pics there. Those guys are not only very helpful but they know their stuff. I'd be very surprised if your questions aren't answered in spades.

Bob

THANKS!!!

NC

Snuffy
April 19th, 2010, 08:41
Putting a compass in front of a door like that can't be good for it!!!

(sorry Pete, couldn't resist!)

:icon_lol:

Navy Chief
April 19th, 2010, 09:32

(sorry Pete, couldn't resist!)

:icon_lol:

Snuffy, you are correct about that! My cousin Scotty and I had moved it there, just to take some pictures.

Pete

Jagdflieger
April 19th, 2010, 09:32
Old Forrest Rangers used a land mounted version of the pelorus in their fire towers to shoot azimuths to fires. The azimuth along with a good topographical map could pinpoint a fire fairly well. With two towers reporting and giving azimuths, the fire could be located very precisely in what is often called triangulation.

The pelorus can also be use for what is called "resection," the opposite of triangulation. With two azimuths to two different known locations, the ship or sailor's position can be determined to a few meters of accuracy.

All of you old soldiers and marines probably remember doing both with your issue M-1950 lensatic compass.

Piglet
April 19th, 2010, 15:09

Already thought of that (see post above)!:jump: