PDA

View Full Version : B-29 Frozen in Time

Helldiver
April 17th, 2010, 18:46
I just watched for the fourth time, the Nova movie, "B-29 Frozen in Time". It's about Darryl Greenamyer's attempt to get a B-29 that crashed in northern Greenland in 1947.
It has an unforgettable ending.
If you have seen it before, try to see it again. If you haven't seen it, you can get it from your PBS station. You certainly know the B-29 after watching that.
It's one of my favorite aviation movies.

gradyhappyg
April 17th, 2010, 18:55
Yep the ending. Oh the ending.

TARPSBird
April 17th, 2010, 19:10
The film is up on YouTube in six parts. Sure wish it had a happier ending. :frown:

letsgetrowdy
April 17th, 2010, 23:22
This could almost make one weep....They were so close!

jeansy
April 18th, 2010, 00:48
it sure had its twists and turns

deathfromafar
April 18th, 2010, 00:53
The one and only time I watched that show, I will never forget the ending. I was so upset I actually launched my TV remote into the floor with plastic frags flying about the room. The look on those guys faces just killed my soul. I will never watch it again as long as I live.

Paul K
April 18th, 2010, 01:47
Yep the ending. Oh the ending.

Is that picture not a B-50 ?

b52bob
April 18th, 2010, 01:54
For those in the San Diego area, go to the Ramona Cafe in, where else, Ramona. The proprieter was among the group that tried to get the old girl going. Lots of photos and pieces of the plane are on the wall.

You should go anyway for the decor...100% jaw-dropping airplane things!

stansdds
April 18th, 2010, 03:32
Yep, I've seen the PBS story, very sad ending all due to a rigged up APU.

Bomber_12th
April 18th, 2010, 07:50
Wow, that brings back memories. When I was really young, I had a taped-version of the show, but even at that age, I could only watch so much before the ending, after seeing it for the first time. I remember my dad however, didn't ever care to see it again. I do know of at least one warbird owner, that got into restoring warbirds because of that show - so perhaps it has done some good.

gradyhappyg
April 18th, 2010, 18:44
Is that picture not a B-50 ?

Yep A B-50 good eye. LOL!
The closest thing I have to a 29 on my FSX.

Slug Flyer
April 18th, 2010, 18:52
I read the book about this endeavor several years ago. I got to the end and was so angry/depressed I almost cried.

dogfish
April 18th, 2010, 18:59
i live in san diego, and i remember the picture on the front page of the union tribune, they had one of the engines running, and were planning to eventually fly it back to san diego. I was really hoping they could do it, but some time later i saw the nova special and how it ended, and have to tell you my heart sank when i saw it. the loss of the mechanic who put so much into restoring it to flying condition and the eventual loss of the aircraft, just tragic. I cant watch it again.

dogfish
April 18th, 2010, 19:06
you know what would be really nice, if they named that b-29 their restoring in wichita kansas the kee bird in memory of that mechanic. what He did was amazing.

MarkH
April 19th, 2010, 08:32
Just watched this again on YouTube after many years. I have a recollection that it was originally two documentaries that now seem to have been compacted into one short one. 'Nova' isn't a program we get in the UK on mainstream channels, so I guess it was packaged differently at one time.

And slightly off-topic, is there a Caribou for FSX? What a great-looking tractor that thing was!

daytonite_andy
April 19th, 2010, 09:58
Just watched this again on YouTube after many years. I have a recollection that it was originally two documentaries that now seem to have been compacted into one short one. 'Nova' isn't a program we get in the UK on mainstream channels, so I guess it was packaged differently at one time.

Yes, if I remember correctly, this was broadcast on Channel Four as two separate documentaries. The first was about the initial attempt and ended as the weather closed in. The second time it was broadcast some months later, the film of the first attempt was edited down and the second attempt added on at the end.

And slightly off-topic, is there a Caribou for FSX? What a great-looking tractor that thing was!

Not a native FSX one but the Alphasim one works fine for me .
http://www.alphasim3.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=172

The scene at the end of the documentary when they break out the camp chairs and watch the B-29 burn is just about the saddest thing I've watched on screen....that...and 'Wings Of The Apache' with Nicholas Cage...

MarkH
April 19th, 2010, 10:37
The first was about the initial attempt and ended as the weather closed in.

Ah yes, that sounds right. I'll check out the Caribou, thanks for the link!

Frequent Flyer
April 19th, 2010, 12:37
I've seen this video today, for the first time. Thanks for posting about it, I would've never heard of it otherwise.

If you haven't seen it yet, go see it. Now. :jawdrop:

Wittpilot
April 19th, 2010, 13:52
Wow, that brings back memories. When I was really young, I had a taped-version of the show, but even at that age, I could only watch so much before the ending, after seeing it for the first time. I remember my dad however, didn't ever care to see it again. I do know of at least one warbird owner, that got into restoring warbirds because of that show - so perhaps it has done some good.

Yep John, I was young too... And although my dad already knew how the story ended... I did not... and I know that if you don't get a case of the weeps at the end, you have no soul... or at least no aviation soul.

Bomber_12th
April 19th, 2010, 16:16
I think the main reason why my dad didn't care to see it again, was quite a bit more about the human element (something that strikes me much more now, in age, than it did when I was younger), than the airplane, though that obviously did play a part as well. Being about 6-7 years old, I would watch it from time to time just for the sake of having a reference to draw B-29's. :)

brad kaste
April 19th, 2010, 16:53
...If I may add,...as hard a loss for the B-29 to burn up at the very end,....the loss of life by one of the top honcho mechanics hit me even harder.....

wiltzei
May 16th, 2011, 09:09
B-29 Frozen in Time follows Darryl Greenamyer and his crew as they try to retrieve an almost intact B-29 from the Arctic Circle. The airplane crash-landed nearly 50 years earlier during a secret mission for the United States. The pilots survived the crash and were rescued, but the B-29 was left in the harsh and unforgiving climate 250 miles north of Thule, Greenland. Greenamyer, a former test pilot who set a low-altitude speed record in a jet he built from spare parts, believes that he can actually fly the plane after performing some maintenance and building a short runway. He flies in parts for the B-29 and a massive bulldozer to clear the runway, but every takeoff is dangerous in these conditions, and he and his crew have a short window for success due to the brief summer. Greenamyer also faces a limited budget and other difficult hurdles as they try to resurrect a piece of history and fly it home.
There are a total of 6 parts. http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/853pilotfly.gif

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hFdFo9Yo0LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

b52bob
May 17th, 2011, 08:00
For those in the San Diego area, go to the Ramona Cafe in, where else, Ramona. The proprieter was among the group that tried to get the old girl going. Lots of photos and pieces of the plane are on the wall.

You should go anyway for the decor...100% jaw-dropping airplane things!

Unfortunately, he sold the place...it no longer has all the aircraft stuff on the walls. It was something to see the pieces of the plane on the wall. I miss the cafe, too bad it was sold to someone not an airplane nut.

mal998
May 17th, 2011, 09:06

jeansy
May 17th, 2011, 21:05

A2A's WOP B29 Mal?

If so whats the link to the patch

DHC120
May 17th, 2011, 22:01
I just watched for the fourth time, the Nova movie, "B-29 Frozen in Time". It's about Darryl Greenamyer's attempt to get a B-29 that crashed in northern Greenland in 1947.
It has an unforgettable ending.
If you have seen it before, try to see it again. If you haven't seen it, you can get it from your PBS station. You certainly know the B-29 after watching that.
It's one of my favorite aviation movies.

I'm not ashamed to admit, I cried as the '29 burned..
We spent two years living at Anderson Army Air Field (in a rusty Quonset Hut), listening to (and "feeling") the squadrons of daily B-29 flights (Show of Force missions to Japan, circa 1947-1949)..
My Dad logged nearly 2000 hours in B-29's.. He passed away forty-one years ago (May 17, 1970).. two days after his 50th birthday..

mal998
May 18th, 2011, 07:58
A2A's WOP B29 Mal?

If so whats the link to the patch

Yep, it's A2A old B-29 from their Wings of Power bomber package. I don't recall using any sort of patch. I recall that it worked as is. I probably made whatever mods myself (props, I think).

Usually, I just drop the model into FSX and see what works and what doesn't.

Let me know if I can lend a hand.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Daveroo
May 18th, 2011, 08:26
a friend of mine last name Larkn was on that..he also was there when they brought up glacier girl and that recient B25,,i got in on a P80 restoration..but i got into a fight with some bumbarse and i never went back.......the guy got mad at me cause i was 16 and had no right to be there he claimed....so i guess he won huh?