PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade from standard to delux FSX

marklaur
April 17th, 2010, 18:43
Hi,
I was given FSX standard version as a present by the family. Today Game Australia was selling the delux version for $25.00 so I thought I would upgrade even though I am happy with what I have.

Problem is it will not install over the top, and I have too many addons to warrant a complete reinstall for probably what will be minimal extras right now.

I do have a second PC so I quess I could install on that one and copy over the missing files.

If that can be done can someone tell me what directories I need to copy over to convert to delux version.

I do not mind if it screws the activation as I gather I can just reactivate as delux version with the new code. Well I hope so anyway.

If it comes to it I could just wait till the time comes for a reinstall, but being impatient I would like to upgrade in the meantime if I can as I think there is a better tube liner in the delux version and I do not have a good tube liner yet.

Cheers MarkL

NoNewMessages
April 17th, 2010, 18:56
While it sounds like an easy task to just copy different files, it's not something I would do. If I were in your shoes I would allocate an afternoon to doing a complete uninstall and reinstall. Then work the addons in along the way. Less possibilities for problems to arise, which will get you to the point of doing the reinstall anyway. Just that you wasted more time trying to avert reinstalling.

Does that make sense?

marklaur
April 17th, 2010, 19:44
While it sounds like an easy task to just copy different files, it's not something I would do. If I were in your shoes I would allocate an afternoon to doing a complete uninstall and reinstall. Then work the addons in along the way. Less possibilities for problems to arise, which will get you to the point of doing the reinstall anyway. Just that you wasted more time trying to avert reinstalling.

Does that make sense?

That makes sense, and would be the best way.
But I have a lot of freeware installed plus a couple of activated paywares that I do not really want to have to try to reactivate.

If it comes to a reinstall, I will just wait awhile. FS2004 is still my main sim as FSX does not really work that well on my PC, so I really just tinker with it so I will not bother with a complete reinstall now.

Cheers MarkL

Ken Stallings
April 17th, 2010, 20:22
I don't believe you can "upgrade" from standard to deluxe because there are entirely different features in the deluxe version. The only way you can be sure it will work is to uninstall your standard version and then install your newly acquired deluxe version.

The good news is that you can first copy all your add-on aircraft and then re-paste them to the deluxe version of the game. However, for your payware stuff, it is far better if you have retained the original installation files and then simply re-install them to the deluxe version of your game.

Cheers,

Ken

marklaur
April 19th, 2010, 13:44
I have decided to wait to I do a complete reinstall, especially since I do not miss any of the extra features.

Cheers MarkL