PDA

View Full Version : Tech Note For XP Users

sc7500
April 17th, 2010, 12:29
Just in case you haven't seen this come up yet...

I downloaded and installed the latest .NET update from M$ Monday - version 4.0. It's designed to "increase the multimedia experience".

In MY case, it slowed down system booting by several MINUTES, and made my Dell laptop sluggish as heck.

I uninstalled the update, and everything sped right back up again.

What's that old saying about "Never flying the 'A' version of ANYTHING...?"

FYI
SC
:kilroy:

Dirtman
April 18th, 2010, 04:42
Yo SC;

Is this the update that caused you trouble?

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)

If not, the could you give the specific update number - KB?????

I prefer to wait until we have identified the specific item before offering any explanations or recommendations.

But in general there are basically two types:
Critical updates which repair specific security flaws that have been recently discovered.
Optional updates some of which can (and should) be ignored.

I need to know which category your problem update fell into ... I suspect the latter.

sc7500
April 18th, 2010, 11:35
Hey DM;

Nope - it was this one:

Title: .NET Framework Version 4.0
Filename: dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
File size: 48.11MB (50,449,456 bytes)

I do believe it's optional, but I decided to try it anyways... and got bit on the behind.
SC

Dirtman
April 18th, 2010, 13:20
Here's the little buggah:

Thanks for the h/u Bro .... I'm still @ V3.5

I'm always careful with the "optional" updates as they can (at times) do more harm than good; especially if (like me) you're running an older (less capable) PC.

....... 5004

FYI:

Java had a security update last week. Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0.20 (32-bit)
But DO NOT install the "Java Toolkit" plug-in for your browser. Turns out it's a "bug-collector"

tonybones2112
April 18th, 2010, 15:14
Hey DM;

Nope - it was this one:

Title: .NET Framework Version 4.0
Filename: dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
File size: 48.11MB (50,449,456 bytes)

I do believe it's optional, but I decided to try it anyways... and got bit on the behind.
SC

I appreciate the honesty of Panasonic service dept. This Toughbook, though a 2004 manufacture, is optimized for ME. I was advised strongly to not upgrade beyond SP2 or SP3 would eat the drivers. A friend who flies the Jolly Roger didn't have ME, so it's stuck with XP SP2 for eternity. My cfs2 computer is optimized for 98 and going to be up soon, it'll be refreshing to work with an OS can be repaired without constant reloads.

Capt. Bloodybones