PDA

View Full Version : Texan LT-6G "Mosquito" for CFS2

Morton
April 17th, 2010, 09:22
New package just uploaded. It's a remake of Cliff Presley's FS9 Texan LT-6G from the Korean war. Hope you like them, they took some hours to get right...
Kelticheart saved me a lot of work putting together the air,dp's,weapons, prop,exhaust.. etc

Morton :guinness:

dmaloof
April 17th, 2010, 10:08
Wow! nice morton. Could be one of your best props ever. thx.:jump:

Milton Shupe
April 18th, 2010, 06:51
Nice looking package here Morton. :)

As with the T-6G thread I looked at this update to see if some of the same issues existed.

I propose the following changes to try if you are interested:

I corrected the CoG to 25% MAC and made a few other adjustments.

If you wish to try these changes to the aircraft.cfg:

In the Airplane Geometry section, replace:

wing_pos_apex_lon=-17.8 // corrects CoG to 25% MAC

Contact Point Section:
Replace the two main gear contact points to correct the tire diameter:

point.1=1.000, 7.833, -4.500,-5.300, 1574.803, 1.000, 1.242, 0.000, 0.428, 2.500, 0.701, 5.000, 5.000, 2.000, 0.000, 0.000 //L Main tire
point.2=1.000, 7.833, 4.500,-5.300, 1574.803, 2.000, 1.242, 0.000, 0.428, 2.500, 0.701, 5.000, 5.000, 3.000, 0.000, 0.000 //R Main tire

If you do not have autopilot installed, change the following:

[autopilot]
autopilot_available=0

In this section, [GeneralEngineData] change

Engine.0=8.333, 0.000, 0.000

With these changes, the aircraft seems to fly better, taxi, brake, and land well.

Morton
April 18th, 2010, 09:13
Thanks Milton! Your updates will be implemented. At once! :applause:

Morton

Milton Shupe
April 18th, 2010, 10:26
Thanks Milton! Your updates will be implemented. At once! :applause:

Morton

One other issue with the air file that should be changed is the terrible adverse roll moment with rudder use. As the rudder is pretty close to the thrust line and CoG height, I adjusted that out of the flight model. It lessens the tendency to roll and flip during crosswind landings and really improves coordinated turns I believe.

I also decreased drag a bit from flaps but it still seems a bit high.

You can try this out if you wish.

kelticheart
April 19th, 2010, 02:19
Nice looking package here Morton. :)

As with the T-6G thread .....

Yes, Milton you guessed right. My other thread about the same aircraft comes from the fact that in my pc this LT-6G shakes real badly on the ground with the aircraft.cfg file I used for this conversion.

Since FS9 flight model files cannot be used in CFS2, I used the files from the similar LT-6G "Mosquito" aircraft made by AuMav.

In the aircraft.cfg I used the original FS9 contact points, which are tailored by original designers to their models, and I only updated the engine specs in airfile section #505 for the 650 hp P&W Wasp engine installed on this aircraft version, with a slightly higher compression rate, extra 150hp and low altitude supercharger ouptut.
I also added a 75 gal. droptank capability, as in AuMav's model.

Let me add a word about the weapon array. Advance warning LT-6Gs were used also to mark Korean targets with 2.5" pencil-thin smoke rockets, a weapon that was never built for CFS2. LT-6G carried them grouped by 3, on 4 to 6 underwing racks.

Looking carefully at historical pictures sent to me by Morton, I used German R4M rockets from VB Planes' old Luftwaffe weapon pack. They are the closest thing, visually speaking, to the 2.5" smoke rockets used by the USAF during the Korean war. Unfortunately, they explode and do not behave like smoke markers.

I quote from N.A.A. engineer Norm Avery in his 1998 book "North American Aircraft 1934-1998 - Volume 1":

"In 1949 the USAF began a program to remanufacture existing AT-6 airframes
to the T-6G designation, with new serial numbers, in order to extend the
AT-6 service life, while NAA was developing the 800hp T-28 Trojan trainer.
AT-6 armament was removed and the rear cockpit was fitted with a
forward-facing seat and, on some, a fixed, frameless rear canopy. Added were
a Mustang-type steerable, locking tailwheel, two 15-gal wing tanks, a
simpler canopy framing, new radio equipment and a 'football' type ADF
antenna-direction finder. 59 airframes, with underwing smoke rockets for
marking Korean targets, were designated LT-6G."

LT-6Gs were also able to carry 4 x 100 lb GP bombs and two underwing gun pods armed with .30" M-2 Browning machine guns. Senior commanding officers in Korea prevented the use of the gun pods, in order to keep their pilots from getting involved in dangerous situations with 1930's vintage aircrafts. After an initial attempt, Morton and I decided to drop the gun pod option altogether.

In spite of the fact LT-6G "Mosquitoes" were vintage aircrafts from pre-WWII era, they racked up an impressive combat record in Korea, contributing heavily to vital ground forces support and creating the premises for very successful raids against enemy tactical targets. Read the LT-6G story included in Cliff Presley original download.

Thank you, Milton for adjusting the Flight Model of this very handsome LT-6G model, I downloaded your attached file immediately!

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Jagdflieger
April 19th, 2010, 09:17
Thanks to everyone for your efforts!

egypt23spitfire
April 19th, 2010, 11:35
..:ernae:.same as JAG "Thanks to everyone for your efforts":ernae:

.....................beautiful work thanks:salute:

oldwheat
April 20th, 2010, 09:18
Quote KH "Let me add a word about the weapon array. Advance warning LT-6Gs were used also to mark Korean targets with 2.5" pencil-thin smoke rockets, a weapon that was never built for CFS2. LT-6G carried them grouped by 3, on 4 to 6 underwing racks."

'Atchilly', I did some some rockets & pylons for my old version of the LT6-G but putting them on the the new Texan would require a whole new DP as the hardpoints are different & you are only allow 22 in the DP. Unless :iidea: !! It would perhaps be kosher to put bombs or rockets on the smoke rocket pylons. I'll have to do a little more research here.

kelticheart
April 22nd, 2010, 05:48
Quote KH "Let me add a word about the weapon array. Advance warning LT-6Gs were used also to mark Korean targets with 2.5" pencil-thin smoke rockets, a weapon that was never built for CFS2. LT-6G carried them grouped by 3, on 4 to 6 underwing racks."

'Atchilly', I did some some rockets & pylons for my old version of the LT6-G but putting them on the the new Texan would require a whole new DP as the hardpoints are different & you are only allow 22 in the DP. Unless :iidea: !! It would perhaps be kosher to put bombs or rockets on the smoke rocket pylons. I'll have to do a little more research here.

Hi OW!

I wasn't aware you developed smoke rockets for this aircraft! By all means, we can try adapting them.

As you pointed out we'll have to be careful about their hardpoints since the current dp is already dangerously close the infamous CFS2 H.P. limit.

VB's rockets I used, in the central pylon position, share their H.P. with Dbolt's 5" USAAF rockets and 100lb bombs. I was surprised myself when I saw VB's rockets H.P. were so close to Dbolt's to be almost a negligible difference amongst them.

Moving the lateral ones wouldn't be a problem, but these 4 central hardpoints could be a big headache.

Cheers!

oldwheat
April 22nd, 2010, 12:30
Kelti: PM me your Email & I'll send them off to you.

kelticheart
April 29th, 2010, 05:46
Kelti: PM me your Email & I'll send them off to you.

Hi OW,

I got the pack and working on it. I had to change a few things around, but the upload will be ready soon.

Your smoke markers and pylons look real cool, they are not difficoult to adapt to Dbolt's weapons but I had to make new hardpoints for the 100lb GP bombs.

Cheers!