PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users: What does one do with an iPad?

Odie
April 17th, 2010, 08:08
Seen these on the TV, and there's lots of screen popping and changing, but I'm curious as to the purpose of it? Does it have a harddisk or just flash memory? Is it just a net centric device?

They look neat and I read there's another model coming out soon (bigger, better??).

Thought our Mac folks here would have some info for a Mac-challenged consumer.

tigisfat
April 17th, 2010, 10:29
Seen these on the TV, and there's lots of screen popping and changing, but I'm curious as to the purpose of it? Does it have a harddisk or just flash memory? Is it just a net centric device?

They look neat and I read there's another model coming out soon (bigger, better??).

Thought our Mac folks here would have some info for a Mac-challenged consumer.

Unless I'm wrong, it's a big iphone without the phone. Essentially, it's for portable intertainment and internet access. Watch video, listen to music, surf the web, take notes, organize your schedule...so on.

It doesn't have the processing power to handle serious software though.

I don't have it, bu I do have some mac products. I enjoy them thoroughly.

Panther_99FS
April 17th, 2010, 10:33
It doesn't have the processing power to handle serious software though.

Hey Tigisfat, not so sure about that :)
--> http://www.macworld.com/article/145941/2010/01/iwork_ipad.html

tigisfat
April 17th, 2010, 11:34
Hey Tigisfat, not so sure about that :)
--> http://www.macworld.com/article/145941/2010/01/iwork_ipad.html

I should have said 'relatively speaking'. My iphone is rather impressive and I have a few full 3D flight simulators on it. It makes me wonder how it stacks up against something like a PSP.

Lionheart
April 17th, 2010, 13:56
Hey Odie,

Its a giant iPod Touch with a small laptop high rez screen. This is not to be compared with Netbooks, Notebooks, and any other WIndows powered devices. Totally different machine.

For cost relativities; an iPhone purchased without a plan from ATT will put you in at $600.00 USD, while the basic iPad will put you in at $499.00.

Amazingly, they have developed a version of iWork that iPad can run, which makes it a business capable unit now. They were using them for work at the Apple store here in North Phoenix. Mostly though they are for media and gaming; photos, music, movies, recorded tv shows. Think of it as competition against gaming devices? With less expensive games..

Odie
April 18th, 2010, 10:20
Thanks, Tig, Mr. P, and Bill ! I haven't bought a gadget in a while and this one caught my eye. I will have to wander down to my local Best Buy and see if they have any I can look at up close.

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 10:28
Thanks, Tig, Mr. P, and Bill ! I haven't bought a gadget in a while and this one caught my eye. I will have to wander down to my local Best Buy and see if they have any I can look at up close.

Do keep in mind that there are laptops that can do waaaay more available these days for 400 dollars. The ipad's selling point is that it's the size of a stack of 30 sheets of paper.

tonybones2112
April 18th, 2010, 11:56
What I'd do with one if I found one new in the box on the street is throw it in the nearest dumpster. I have several reasons for saying that. First one is that back in the days when computers were fun and not an appliance Macs were sort of little Mercedes, they were the cat's meow for gaming, graphics, and general entertainment. I have several old Macs and I ain't talking Imacs from 2000. SCSI interface was standard and a Mac would do ten times as much with ten times less RAM than a PC. With M$ arm-twisting, monopoly practices and out and out theft. the PC dominates and Macs are an investment with no return and the only reason their computer division is still going is to serve a small cult following. apple has dropped the Motorola processor in favor of the IBM PC type so they are no better than a Dell as far as I'm concerned. The Ipod is what saved Apple as a business. As a citizen of an English speaking country I see no reason to learn Spanish or Chinese, as someone who a personal computer is becomg less and less important to I see no reason to learn a completely new computer OS, Linux included. The second reaason I am totally boycotting all Apple products is their Left Coast Tree Hugger policy that if you are a "smoker", the "residue" of smoking is a "toxic substance" and they reserve the right to refuse to service any Apple product bought by smokers. I'm a smoker and a militant one at that and they'll service it or they'll get back in the face.

To Jobs and the rest of the Commune I say, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Bones

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 12:08
What I'd do with one if I found one new in the box on the street is throw it in the nearest dumpster. I have several reasons for saying that. First one is that back in the days when computers were fun and not an appliance Macs were sort of little Mercedes, they were the cat's meow for gaming, graphics, and general entertainment. I have several old Macs and I ain't talking Imacs from 2000. SCSI interface was standard and a Mac would do ten times as much with ten times less RAM than a PC. With M$ arm-twisting, monopoly practices and out and out theft. the PC dominates and Macs are an investment with no return and the only reason their computer division is still going is to serve a small cult following. apple has dropped the Motorola processor in favor of the IBM PC type so they are no better than a Dell as far as I'm concerned. The Ipod is what saved Apple as a business. As a citizen of an English speaking country I see no reason to learn Spanish or Chinese, as someone who a personal computer is becomg less and less important to I see no reason to learn a completely new computer OS, Linux included. The second reaason I am totally boycotting all Apple products is their Left Coast Tree Hugger policy that if you are a "smoker", the "residue" of smoking is a "toxic substance" and they reserve the right to refuse to service any Apple product bought by smokers. I'm a smoker and a militant one at that and they'll service it or they'll get back in the face.

To Jobs and the rest of the Commune I say, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Bones

If.....you found one new.....you'd throw it away?

Man, I'm a Ford guy but if I got a new Chevy free I wouldn't have it crushed.

How's about if you find one new ya give it to me instead of chucking it?

Can we get a link to the anti-smoking thing?

djscoo
April 18th, 2010, 12:52

Apple voided the "Applecare" warranties on two people's computers because they were subjecting them to a harmful environment due to excessive cigarette smoke entering the computers through the intakes. They refuse to service them because their employees would be subjected to harmful chemicals while handling the machine. I'm pretty sure this is Apple just being trolls because it forces smokers to defend smoking and say it isn't harmful. While I seriously doubt that cigarette smoke can do any serious damage to a computer, you can't tell me that it isn't toxic, and it doesn't leave a residue.

tonybones2112
April 18th, 2010, 13:00

If that happens, tell me a spot you'll be and I'll toss it your way!

Apple's Tree Hugger policy against smokers was reported in Yahoo news a few months ago as a major story by I beleive AP. I'm sure they're regretting it now. At that time before illness struck the home here I had the money and the credit for a down payment on one of those little razor thin Apple notebooks. I called the dealer, who has since gone out of business, I had no interest in a device of non-returnable asset that I could get no service on if needed. But wait, there's more!

I later got a call from a company representative from Apple almost begging me to consider the notebook and at the same time sugar-coating in lawyer's language indeed, with no compromise, that as a tobacco user I'd get no service if evidence of tobacco residue showed up. The serpent was more subtle than any of the beasts of the field. I told him to stuff Apple and Jobs and his Flower Power policy up his a**. I grew up listening to the horse manure that spewed out of Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin(stein) about the Vietnam War while they were major stockholders in Dow Chemical Company that manufactured the chemical thickener to mix with gasoline to make napalm with. Poor old bbie made so much money he haad to commit suicide. They made a killing on the stock market they preached against. The point? The point is we'd had the PC 5 years sooner if Jobs and Gates hadn't spent most their time smoking pot in Daddy's garage(look up Gates's dope arrest in N. Mexico) and the fact no dope smoking hippie is going to dictte to me about whaat to do with a burned out match.

Goggle the words "Apple, tobacco residue, service policy". Even better, call an Apple service facility and let me know what they told you.

So I'm stuck with XP on a PC but it's a quality machine, Panasonic Toughbook. It's well used when I got it but keeps on ticking.

Bones

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 13:00
Apple voided the "Applecare" warranties on two people's computers because they were subjecting them to a harmful environment due to excessive cigarette smoke entering the computers through the intakes. They refuse to service them because their employees would be subjected to harmful chemicals while handling the machine. I'm pretty sure this is Apple just being trolls because it forces smokers to defend smoking and say it isn't harmful. While I seriously doubt that cigarette smoke can do any serious damage to a computer, you can't tell me that it isn't toxic, and it doesn't leave a residue.

I read an editorial on it, and there were no less than 10 responses from computer techs who said that you could immediately tell when a computer had been smoked in. I'm a smoker, and it makes sense to me. If you were to hang a computer in your chimney for a year, it'd be pretty nasty. Has anyone seen the inside of a train tunnel?

Apple shouldn't have to pay for damage caused by a buildup of residue and grime because some /b/ addict chain smokes while he adds captions to pictures of his cat. :icon_lol:

tonybones2112
April 18th, 2010, 13:09

I bet marijuana resin gets a pass, and is probably collected.

"I love you Sweet Leaf
Though you can't hear,
Oh yeah baby..." -SWEET LEAF Black Sabbath

Bones

Cloud9Gal
April 18th, 2010, 13:58
I read an editorial on it, and there were no less than 10 responses from computer techs who said that you could immediately tell when a computer had been smoked in. I'm a smoker, and it makes sense to me. If you were to hang a computer in your chimney for a year, it'd be pretty nasty. Has anyone seen the inside of a train tunnel?

Apple shouldn't have to pay for damage caused by a buildup of residue and grime because some /b/ addict chain smokes while he adds captions to pictures of his cat. :icon_lol:

Ok that made me laugh......

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 14:04
Ok that made me laugh......

That is but one of the services I offer, ma'am. :salute:

Lionheart
April 18th, 2010, 14:24
So Odie,

If you are not a chain smokin, refer addict tokin soul that only smokes when in front of your computer, you should be good to go.

:d

Small note that I think may not have been touched on. The 3Gs model, due out in a week or two, is the wireless version. The one thats out now is WiFi only, so its not very mobile unless you have nearby WiFi hubs, like some coffee shops. Some places charge now for WiFi, giving you a code when you sign onto their service. Thats a rip in my eyes. Thus I am waiting for the 3Gs model.

Side note; Some stores have not recieved the docking keyboards yet. The Apple store and the Mac store near my do not have any yet, so they are behind schedule. The cool thing about this iPad is that it will be able to be docked to the dockable keyboard, or to its own dock stand and linked via bluetooth to the Apple wireless keyboard, and you can then chat and hit forums on it like a normal computer.

The wireless Apple keyboard is ultra thin and about as wide as the iPad is tall, so they should be pretty stowable in a similar size pack for transport. As for the docking version keyboard, it will have that dock thing sticking out the top, so that will make it not-so easily portable.

EDIT: The iPad does have a built in screen keyboard, which I am sure you know about from the commercials. Try it out first at a store to see if you are comfortable with it. I am a speed typer and was leary of this as you cannot feel the keys. Speed typers have to feel with their finger tips. This is new and no feeling of keys, (like on Star Trek TNG), so you will need to be aware of that. The screen is very sensitive though, so it picks up your touches pretty well. I typed out a few words on one pretty easily. I thought it wasnt going to work well, and it did. I was impressed. (I was the one that needed to adapt, lol... I did).

Bill

tigisfat
April 18th, 2010, 14:27
...............Not to mention that Ipods, phones and pads are generally very resistant to damage. My iphone has been dropped probably ten times and works great.

Lionheart
April 18th, 2010, 14:29
eeks...

I have dropped mine once... Heart almost stopped.

I got the expensive warranty for it. Hopefully though I'll never have to use it.

Chacha
April 18th, 2010, 14:48
I do not have the warranty...

(Do they have one?)

...But I have the gps navigation and when my phone got lost or stolen, they will replace it...

Bjoern
April 18th, 2010, 16:06
What does one do with an iPad?

Sell it on Ebay and get a *real* tablet PC.

(You *had* to see that coming!)

Odie
April 22nd, 2010, 18:14
Everyone, thanks much for the comments! I've got the weekend off so I think I'll head for the electronics store and see one up close.

Bill, thanks for the heads-up on the wireless version...I think that would be the one I'll get, if I pull the trigger after getting a in-person look-see. I've got a DELL XPS laptop, but have the itch to get a new gadget.....:icon_lol:

Besides, it's susposed to rain all weekend here so what better way to spend an afternoon!

Snuffy
April 22nd, 2010, 18:40
I'd be careful Odie .... I understand that people buying these things also have a tendency to be robbed and fingers stolen if you hang on to it too tight.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/20/man-loses-finger-colo-ipad-theft/

Skittles
April 22nd, 2010, 19:06
Besides, it's susposed to rain all weekend here so what better way to spend an afternoon!

You should sit there and twiddle your thumbs, and at least wait until the HP slate makes an appearance within the next month or two.

It has a 1.6GHz processor (compared to the Ipad's 1Ghz), 1Gb of RAM (compared to the Ipad's 256Mb), support for full 1080p HD output with a HDMI connector (i.e. you can watch full high definition movies on your TV just with a single cable, assuming your TV is HD ready of course, compared to no HD capabilities at all on the Ipad).

It also has USB ports, and memory card slots (i.e. expandable memory up to a further 128Gb) - both of which are absent on the ipad.

Finally it has a VGA camera on the front for video conferencing, and a 3mp camera on the back (Ipad has neither).

Prices will start at $549 for the 32Gb version (equivalent Ipad is $729) and $599 for the 64Gb version (Ipad = $829).

In terms of advantages of the ipad, it has a very slightly larger screen, and has a significantly longer battery life (Ipad 10 hours, Slate 5 hours). This doesn't bother me in the slightest however, as in my life I have never had 5 hours worth of use on something without having a plug around.

The slate will run an optimised windows 7, which means full multitasking, complete flash support, in fact - just windows 7. Plus of course full compatability with Itunes etc.

emorris
April 22nd, 2010, 19:35
Sell it on Ebay and get a *real* tablet PC.

(You *had* to see that coming!)

Get a HP Slate! They run Win7, meaning it has multi-tasking, flash and more.

Edit: just read Skittles' post, so never mind.:redf: It's probably way better nonetheless.

Lionheart
April 22nd, 2010, 19:40
3Gs iPads are supposed to go on sale on April 30th.

Man.... I hate this. Its like when I waited for the 3Gs iPhone to come out. A week goes by in what seems like a month.............................

Worse then when I was a kid waiting for Christmas...

On comparing the Slate to an iPad, again, you are compairing a motorcycle to a car. If you need windows, then you want the slate. The iPad will have adapters for various ports and multitasking comes out at the end of summer, (OS udpate).

I should mention that the slate fell apart in the hands of the CEO during its press release.

Another thing, instead of getting a slate, you can get those new mini laptops that are only $300.00... That is a real bargain for that type of thing. Thats $300.00 cheaper then an iPhone. Mind you, I would take an iPhone over one of those, but to each their own. The beauty of freedom.

Cratermaker
April 23rd, 2010, 04:29
I should mention that the slate fell apart in the hands of the CEO during its press release.

Really? That's gotta sting.