PDA

View Full Version : What yoke and Pedals are better? Saitek or CH?

lacofdfireman
April 16th, 2010, 18:10
Sorry for the post but I did search and there are some specific threads about each one seperately but I am hoping maybe someone in here has used both and can give me the pros and cons of each so I can make an informed decision... I am hoping to spend under the $350 range and want a Yoke, Rudder Pedals and throttle at this point. So is it a "you can't go wrong with either" or is it one is better thn the other? If one is better what are your reasonings?

lifejogger
April 16th, 2010, 18:38
I sorry but I can't give you a comparison but I have had my CH yoke and rudder pedals for 15 years and they work as good as when I first bought them. And I am sure people who own and use Saitek will same the same thing.

HighGround22
April 16th, 2010, 19:14
I've used them both fairly extensively. For me, the bottom line is Saitek, all the way. And although it'll maybe sound a bit strange, I kinda suspect that one's physical size comes into play on which one's more appropriate for the individual.

The CH pedals are fairly close together. If you're not too tall, and have relatively small feet (size 10 or smaller) then you'd probably be tickety-boo. But if (like me) you're over six feet and/or have size 13 EEE's, your ankles are banging together, and it's a wee bit difficult to find the null "sweet spot" where no rudder is being applied. Similarly, the CH yoke is probably okay for small hands, but with big, ugly paws like mine, it felt a bit too "toy-like". Then there was the "sproing" noises that the big, internal spring made, and the friction from a plastic shaft sliding in a plastic sleeve.

After a couple of years, I switched to Saitek

Saitek's pedals feel more solid and robust, and they sit farther apart (closer to RW), with a tension wheel in between. They also come with heel plates for resting your feet when bumbling along at cruising altitude.

The Saitek yoke is a nice, beefy thing with a solid feel to it. It glides -- even after several years -- and there's no irritating internal noises. Lots of useful buttons and switches, strategically placed, too.

The yoke comes with a nice throttle quadrant with full 90-degrees of travel (*very* important!), and more switches for things like parking brakes, AP disconnect, et cetera. The yoke also has a USB hub on the side, into which you can plug your pedals, an extra throttle quadrant, and so-forth.

So as I indicated, for me there was no contest. The Saiteks were superior, for my needs.

As a final aside, whichever make you buy, I'd highly recommend you fabricate a "ramp" for your rudder/brake pedals. I built mine out of two pieces of plywood, the size of the base plate of my pedals. Joined at the front (nearest me), I stuck a piece of two-by-four under the back, open end to provide an up-ramp, thus tilting the pedal toes up a bit more. Experimentation's necessary to get the right angle for your legs, chair, desk, etc.

Then I glued-on a slab of rubber matting to the bottom and voila, it stays nicely put, and provides me with that little bit of elevation needed because of my long legs. Now I don't strain to apply the brake when making a turn.

Hope all that blather helps somewhat.

lacofdfireman
April 16th, 2010, 19:32
I've used them both fairly extensively. For me, the bottom line is Saitek, all the way. And although it'll maybe sound a bit strange, I kinda suspect that one's physical size comes into play on which one's more appropriate for the individual.

The CH pedals are fairly close together. If you're not too tall, and have relatively small feet (size 10 or smaller) then you'd probably be tickety-boo. But if (like me) you're over six feet and/or have size 13 EEE's, your ankles are banging together, and it's a wee bit difficult to find the null "sweet spot" where no rudder is being applied. Similarly, the CH yoke is probably okay for small hands, but with big, ugly paws like mine, it felt a bit too "toy-like". Then there was the "sproing" noises that the big, internal spring made, and the friction from a plastic shaft sliding in a plastic sleeve.

After a couple of years, I switched to Saitek

Saitek's pedals feel more solid and robust, and they sit farther apart (closer to RW), with a tension wheel in between. They also come with heel plates for resting your feet when bumbling along at cruising altitude.

The Saitek yoke is a nice, beefy thing with a solid feel to it. It glides -- even after several years -- and there's no irritating internal noises. Lots of useful buttons and switches, strategically placed, too.

The yoke comes with a nice throttle quadrant with full 90-degrees of travel (*very* important!), and more switches for things like parking brakes, AP disconnect, et cetera. The yoke also has a USB hub on the side, into which you can plug your pedals, an extra throttle quadrant, and so-forth.

So as I indicated, for me there was no contest. The Saiteks were superior, for my needs.

As a final aside, whichever make you buy, I'd highly recommend you fabricate a "ramp" for your rudder/brake pedals. I built mine out of two pieces of plywood, the size of the base plate of my pedals. Joined at the front (nearest me), I stuck a piece of two-by-four under the back, open end to provide an up-ramp, thus tilting the pedal toes up a bit more. Experimentation's necessary to get the right angle for your legs, chair, desk, etc.

Then I glued-on a slab of rubber matting to the bottom and voila, it stays nicely put, and provides me with that little bit of elevation needed because of my long legs. Now I don't strain to apply the brake when making a turn.

Hope all that blather helps somewhat.

Perfect Jon thank you. This is just what I have been looking for.. And at 6'4 and 260lbs the Saitek will be the one for me... So were is the best place to buy? I see a full setup here on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SAITEK-PZ44-PRO-FLIGHT-YOKE-THROTTLE-PZ35-PEDALS-NEW_W0QQitemZ140398730073QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_ Games_Accessories?hash=item20b06a9b59 cost is $239 plus shipping. Is this about as good a deal as can be had?

Also what are the chances of you getting some pics of your rudder setup with the 2x4's? Would love to see them... Thanks again..

spotlope
April 16th, 2010, 19:43
Perfect Jon thank you. This is just what I have been looking for.. And at 6'4 and 260lbs the Saitek will be the one for me... So were is the best place to buy? I see a full setup here on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SAITEK-PZ44-PRO-FLIGHT-YOKE-THROTTLE-PZ35-PEDALS-NEW_W0QQitemZ140398730073QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_ Games_Accessories?hash=item20b06a9b59 cost is $239 plus shipping. Is this about as good a deal as can be had?

Also what are the chances of you getting some pics of your rudder setup with the 2x4's? Would love to see them... Thanks again..

Jon summed it up nicely for the big 'uns in our midst. I'm 6'3" myself, and while I enjoyed my CH yoke and pedals, I adore my Saitek kit. It just feels better for us big dogs.

HighGround22
April 20th, 2010, 13:58
Sorry 'bout the long delay in responding to your photo request, Laco. I had a little bit of surgery to contend with. Back in business, now.

When I suggested a "ramp" for the pedals -- something long-legged/tall folks almost *require* -- I'd forgotten that I modified mine, some time ago. I replaced the upper piece of plywood with a "typist's foot rest" that someone gave me, and since it was at a good angle, I incorporated that.

But failing having one of those handy, just make a second piece to match the base, hinge them at the front (the edge nearest the pilot), and fiddle-faddle with a chunk of 2x4 at the back, to get the ramp angle just right for you. Once you find the right angle, glue or screw it into place.

Since the Saitek pedals have convenient screw holes for mounting to the floor, ramp or whatever, I threaded stout twine through them to hold the front end of the pedals in place. And while it secures the pedals firmly to the ramp, it permits easy de-construction, next time I have a bright idea of how to improve the setup. But in the case of a "normal" all-plywood ramp, you'd just screw the front and back ends into place using the screw holes. All quite simple, really.

Since the ramp's sitting on a bare, wooden floor now, the rubber pad that's glued to the bottom plank (the black thingie) is a necessary and effective addition. I cut a piece to fit, from a single pad that I got from Home Depot (originally meant for making a non-skid floor in one's work shop).

Any question(s), gimme a bell.