PDA

View Full Version : 747 All engine Flame out (real Life)

RyanJames170
April 16th, 2010, 15:41
This is kinda intresting

Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDU8XRQ_GY&feature=related)

Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2QGc4nqpgo&NR=1)

Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5o_Aakw6OQ&NR=1)

Part 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJu_RIG-qE0&NR=1)

Part 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PSbpaEo_qs&feature=related)

peter12213
April 16th, 2010, 15:55
And quite pertinent as with whats happeneing over here at the moment, imagine seeing that St Elmo's fire though, that must be amazing if rather scary, it's tribute to Rolls Royce for those engines being so sturdy and reliable too!

Skittles
April 16th, 2010, 15:55
My favourite thing about this incident (if you can have a favourite thing about incidents like this) is Captain Moody's announcement to passengers as the situation was unfolding.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

Only an Englishman. Very proud of that.

Ken Stallings
April 16th, 2010, 16:23
All aircraft are capable of converting themselves to gliders.

All that is required is loss of power and maintaining the proper glide speed or higher.

If your goal is to reach the furtherest distance in glide status, you simply set and maintain the best glide speed for your given weight.

In terms of the plight, I won't agree that mere size and weight makes the situation any more dicey. In fact, having a qualified co-pilot in the right seat can make things easier than having to do it pure solo. I have been assured by many an airline pilot, that flying solo in a piston twin and having to fly actual IFR during emergency single engine, is about as stern a test as there is.

But, even that test isn't impossible.

And my point is that folks generally provide a lot more notice of a 747 captain who can safely handle an engine out situation than they do for a Piper Cub, Beech Bonanza, or Citation CJ pilot. And yet, the differences really aren't that significant. Yes, the lives onboard are the real difference and you want the person up front to have the skills and coolness.

Than again, I'm suddenly reminded of the F-16 pilot, as always low on fuel, who is asked to hold in a pattern while a B-52 is given priority for an engine out landing. He remarked, "Yeah, the dreaded seven-engine approach!" :icon_lol:

There's an undeniable truth there!

Ken

fliger747
April 16th, 2010, 16:44
St Elmo's Fire is a fairly frquent occurence at night in precipitation at altitude. Looks like one of those vandegraf generators playing on the windscreen. Not sure that Rolls make a better engine than say GE or Pratt. Their selection seems to be mostly politically motivated, as is the selection of many aerospace items.....

KLM lost power a number of years ago and made an emergency landing in Anchorage. Lots of other damage to the plane besides just the engines! As we are trained, a relight is much more likelyl at low altitude. In the meantime, one can count on gliding about 15 miles or more for each thousand feet of altitude. In one such episode, the tape recorded the flight engineer as saying "golly gosh, we lost the lot".

We endeavor to make every flight as boring as possible.......... T

Clarke123
April 16th, 2010, 17:06
My favourite thing about this incident (if you can have a favourite thing about incidents like this) is Captain Moody's announcement to passengers as the situation was unfolding.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

He said today flying through ash was "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse" :icon_lol:

ryanbatc
April 16th, 2010, 19:32
Watched the whole thing!

Never would have guessed it was ash....!

Bjoern
April 17th, 2010, 06:18

Had to laugh when the "[Volcano Name] Gliding Club" came up. :d

Been referring to this incident/episode ever since the airspace lockdown discussion came up.

(ACI is one of my favourite series. It's really well made, even though I find the short summaries after each commercial break highly annoying.)

jdhaenens
April 17th, 2010, 06:29
@Fliger747... We had a saying in the nuclear navy: "We train to be boring. If things are exciting, something is terribly wrong."

Jim

peter12213
April 17th, 2010, 11:46
St Elmo's Fire is a fairly frquent occurence at night in precipitation at altitude. Looks like one of those vandegraf generators playing on the windscreen. Not sure that Rolls make a better engine than say GE or Pratt. Their selection seems to be mostly politically motivated, as is the selection of many aerospace items.....

KLM lost power a number of years ago and made an emergency landing in Anchorage. Lots of other damage to the plane besides just the engines! As we are trained, a relight is much more likelyl at low altitude. In the meantime, one can count on gliding about 15 miles or more for each thousand feet of altitude. In one such episode, the tape recorded the flight engineer as saying "golly gosh, we lost the lot".

We endeavor to make every flight as boring as possible.......... T

Sorry I have to disagree there old boy RR engines are the best!
Cause I'm Bias!

Lewis-A2A
April 17th, 2010, 11:53
I'm bias too, but yes RR all the way, history speaks volumes in that area.

huub vink
April 17th, 2010, 11:57
About the KLM flight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867

Cheers,
Huub

bstolle
Well, the crash due to double engine failure on the BA 777 which was caused by icing happened with RR engines...and was only possible with RR engine due to their 'special' design I might add....

RR History...hmm, AFAIK the economic failure of the excellent L1011 was alomost exclusively caused by RRs bankcruptcy

Ken Stallings
I'm bias too, but yes RR all the way, history speaks volumes in that area.

Well, at least you two admit to being biased! :icon_lol:

tigisfat
April 17th, 2010, 12:24
Guys, I don't know if it was the same one because it's been so long since I've read it, but a 747 temporary flame out due to ashes was the subject of the great article 'I learned about flying from that'. The article and compilation books are great.

DennyA
April 17th, 2010, 16:33
Ken, yeah, but if you lose "all" engines in a Cessna, there are a hell of lot more survivable places you can put it down than a 747... :)

Ken Stallings
April 17th, 2010, 16:42
Ken, yeah, but if you lose "all" engines in a Cessna, there are a hell of lot more survivable places you can put it down than a 747... :)

Details! Details! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
April 18th, 2010, 14:57
RR History...hmm, AFAIK the economic failure of the excellent L1011 was alomost exclusively caused by RRs bankcruptcy

Yep.

If RR hadn't taken so long to get the RB211 up and running the L-1011 could have been a bigger seller.