PDA

View Full Version : OT: Living in a De-Material World - Blog Post on Aces

robby88
November 10th, 2008, 01:54
While looking around FS Insider and ESP sites I noticed this link to a very interesting post by James Governor about where Aces studio are headed with their sim products, particularly ESP. It's an interesting read.

http://www.redmonk.com/jgovernor/2008/09/25/living-in-de-material-world-on-microsoft-train-sim-and-the-virtual-everything/

stiz
November 10th, 2008, 03:28
now that is intresting, it'd be cool if they managed to pull it all off

cheezyflier
November 10th, 2008, 05:59
now that is intresting, it'd be cool if they managed to pull it all off

it is very ambitious, and will no doubt sell alot of computers.

EasyEd
November 10th, 2008, 09:17
Hey All,

Interesting stuff but I see a lot of people way too full of themselves and virtual technology. Consider this from the comments...

Take it even further and picture yourself inviting a professional contact to come and meet you in the virtual park outside your virtual office in Virtual Earth, where your avatars sit on a bench together while you IM or talk via voice about, say, an upcoming business trip. Give it five years and this style of communication and collaboration will be commonplace.Are they kidding! Obama's avatar meeting all the other G8 avatars to discuss world economics!?!? I already do several conference calls and net meetings and it is clear human face to face (F2F) is absolutely critical - no computer will ever 100% accurately simulate the real world.

Simulation is a powerful tool - I've been modeling different ecological things for over 25 years - biggest lesson learned - you can't fool or outpredict mother nature.

The problem fundamentally is - keeping the line between reality (truth) and simulation (false) clear. The other and perhaps more important problem from a human perspective is using simulation to "duck" the real world.

The author of the original piece said it best here...

Flight-SIM remains an incredible way to lose hours of your life. Just wait til you can get your hands on the rest of itI fully support simulation going forward - the issue is maintaining the distinction and balance between reality and the virtual world and that is completely a people thing.

-Ed-