PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Dock tips for those with skin covers

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 21:07
Hey all,

For those of you with iPhone and iPod Touch, and have skin covers (protective cases, designer covers, etc), did you know you can get the iPod Universal Dock and just leave out the small shell thing (bottom of dock that iPod/iPhone sits in) and you can plug your iP unit into it directly without having to take off the skin assembly?

The Universal Dock is about $20.00 more and comes with a remote which talks to the dock / iP unit. Doesnt work great with iPhone and iPod Touch, as its more iPod technology.

If you get the iPhone dock (like in the Apple stores) then you need to take the skin off each time. (a real hassle... ). I really hate to keep using the cable and prefer a dock. I have the X-stand which resembles the cool Apple Mac computer stand (aluminum thing, L shaped), but with my case skin on it, it slides off onto the desk. not good...

I also found a skin the other day by 'Encase'. They are a green company and must use recycled materials, etc. But... The real point is, their case slides off without any trouble, without scratching the iPhone case, doesnt break apart after a long while (like my cool Frog skin did, arrgh).

So, if you want to dock your iPhone or iPod Touch with your computer 'and' keep your skin casing on, get a Universal Dock and leave the insert base plate out and you will have your skin dock capability.

I got the bright white 'Encase'. Really nice cover. Thick plastic with a wierd feel to it, like a coating. Hard to explain. Not a high-grip coating. Its a high gloss like coating. It also covers the chrome surround bazel ring on the top of the iPhone, giving it a diff appearence. A new look which is nice...

Just a little heads up.

Bill

Chacha
April 15th, 2010, 21:13
I never had a problem with that Lionheart...

I never take off the protective covering /skin on my iPod or Iphonewhenever I charge the iPhone/iPod...

I use a product called iSkin. It fits like a glove on my iPhone.
It is silicone finish so it doesn't hurt my iPhone....

:icon_lol:

www.iSkin.com

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 21:21
Nice!

All of mine have been just thick enough to not stick or fit in their docks and holders and the windshield clip dock. arrgh...

Screenshot of the 'Encase'

Supposedly they have actual wood cases. Found them while looking for this photo.

Bill

Chacha
April 15th, 2010, 21:25
My iSkin looks like this...

Lionheart
April 16th, 2010, 00:00
Nice!

A little skin tight there.... ;)