PDA

View Full Version : SOH musicians!!

tigisfat
April 15th, 2010, 17:07
Okay guys, I know we have all kinds of musicians here, especially guitar players and we know how much everyone like live music. Tell us about your bands, please. Most guitar players (or other instruments) have been in bands. I'd like for you to share band names, how old you were and what kind of music you played.

It doesn't matter to me if you had a metal band that was laughably bad when you were 12 that played at junior high parties or if you had a record contract once upon a time. I'm sure everyone will enjoy hearing about it.

Milton Shupe
April 15th, 2010, 17:55
1982-1984 Band name = South River Bend
Music was Traditional Country
Played bars, shows, Lodges, etc.
I was lead singer and lead guitar player
Age 36

Loved the music, hated the bars.

Also played with Bluegrass groups for many years as singer and rhythm guitarist.

b52bob
April 15th, 2010, 18:01
64' or 65'. while in the Air Force, was stand in for various instruments for "Knowbody Else" who later changed their name to Black Oak Arkansas in, believe it or not, Black Oak Arkansas (about 5 miles from Hooterville (Blytheville) Ark

Tako_Kichi
April 15th, 2010, 18:13
89-90 bass guitar with a UK 10 piece brass ensemble that also included drums and a keyboard (making 13 instruments in total), band name 'Ten O' The Best'.

90-91 bass guitar with a UK R & B band, band name 'Flight 505' taken from a Rolling Stones song of the same name and the song we ended every gig with although we rocked it up to make it sound way better than the original IMHO.

98-99 bass guitar in a Canadian basement band. Just a few guys who used to get together once a week to jam and have fun. Only played one gig and used the band name 'Mid-Life Crisis' as the rhythm player/singer was going through one! :icon_lol:

These days I tend to just play bass and guitar on my own for fun but sometimes have jam sessions at a buddies place where we invariably play country/bluegrass (his area of expertise) or 50's/60's pop/rock tunes with some occasional Clapton tunes thrown in to keep me happy.

MCDesigns
April 15th, 2010, 18:20
Was a singer/songwriter for about 12 years (84-96). Was in several bands as the frontman (vocalist), mostly hard commercial style rock ala Poison, Warrant, L.A. Guns, Skid Row, etc, doing the club deal and opening for bigger names. Definitely lived the rockstar life, other than the drugs which I have never touched, while doing a full time job also. I look back now and wonder how I worked full time and still lived at the bars every night, ah to be young again, LOL. And the women, oh wait, we can't go into that here :redface::redface:

At least I don't have to worry about a mid life crisis as I have had my fun, LOL.:cool:

harleyman
April 15th, 2010, 18:21
Lets see here.....

Ummmmmm..it was about 37 years ago , I was a drummer for a band I formed with some HS budddies...We were called *The ProLific Orb*

We played schools, nightclubs , parties, and many places free just for the girls that came with it....LOL

Over a summer, forgotten now, We aquaired two members from a well known local band called the *Norfolk Aliens* and we were looking for a new name to go with our new sound....I was soon to be involved in some bad voodoo, and was kindly taken to jail, where I stayed for an extended stay...

In honor of my being an idiot, the band got another local drummer, and changed the name to my namesake *Mason* soon they released their only album, called *Harbour* It has some local fame , and that was it for me...

Here is the CD, origionally released locally on vinyl http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1209481

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2010, 20:13
from 82-84 i played rythym guitar and bass for bottoms up, a tribute/cover band. we played bars parties and what was called "abate meetings" but were really giant parties for outlaw bikers.

85-85 played guitar for fate, a band i started for the purpose of becoming a rock star. with a brilliant display of irony, my true "fate" was not to be a rock star but to instead be a sheetmetal working single dad. not as glamorous, but definitely more rewarding.

these days i sit and play along to mp3s wondering why i'm not nearly as good as my memory tells me i used to be.

Tako_Kichi
April 15th, 2010, 20:19
these days i sit and play along to mp3s wondering why i'm not nearly as good as my memory tells me i used to be.
Ahhh you too huh! :icon_lol:

Mind you, as part of my long standing illness, I suffer from short-term memory loss at times which means I have forgotten how to play more songs than I am likely to learn in the future. There are lots of songs I hear where I think 'I used to play that' but couldn't even start to play it now. :confused::frown:

Chacha
April 15th, 2010, 20:24
I do not belong to a band...

But definitely sings while in the bathroom....

Hannah and I sing karaoke every night at home...

I started singing before I could talk.... :isadizzy:

tigisfat
April 15th, 2010, 20:29
I'm a veteran of such bands as:

The Electric Gypsies
Foam
The gigolos
Flaccid
Garth Brooks Reunion (purely a troll name. we played death metal)
Niner
Sound Grenade
@$$ war (another troll name)

The gigolos were positively horrible, as were my first bunches of bands as a teenager. This was during the grunge movement when it was cool to sound horrible. It made us more hardcore.:mixedsmi:

djscoo
April 15th, 2010, 20:30
Does cowbell count as an instrument?

tigisfat
April 15th, 2010, 20:32
Does cowbell count as an instrument?

Heck yes it does. Are you crazy? Don't ever doubt the omnipotence of the cowbell again. :ernae:

tonybones2112
April 15th, 2010, 21:04
64' or 65'. while in the Air Force, was stand in for various instruments for "Knowbody Else" who later changed their name to Black Oak Arkansas in, believe it or not, Black Oak Arkansas (about 5 miles from Hooterville (Blytheville) Ark

"Jim Dandy to the recue
Jim Dandy to the rescue..."

Bones

cheezyflier
April 16th, 2010, 06:46
Don't ever doubt the omnipotence of the cowbell again. :ernae:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p154/lewystix/ChristopherWalkenCowbellPoster.jpg

Navy Chief
April 16th, 2010, 07:19
Am not a musician, but always wanted to play drums. I've always been fascinated with the coordination it takes to play them!

I did, however, chauffeur quite a few performers, back in the late 70s and mid 80s:

Bob Seger (super nice guy)
Charlie Daniels (friendliest performer I ever met)
Alice Cooper (very smart man....has a Masters in Buisness!)
Blackfoot
Hall and Oates
Billy Joel (very friendly, but manager was a jerk)
.38 Special
Peter Frampton
The Outlaws
Gino Vanelli ( a perfectionist. If the acoustics were'nt to his liking, he would cancel)
Tom Jones (a real womanizer! No surprise, eh?)
Little River Band (great guys......just regular folks)
David Letterman (a REAL jerk)
Doc Severinsen
Sharon Gless
Melissa Sue Anderson
Brooke Shields
Victor Borge (twice....and he was a true gentleman)
Miles Davis
The Gaithers
Tom Brokaw

NC

Snuffy
April 16th, 2010, 07:47
I have no musical ability in me at all despite trying.

Wanted to try to play Sax in school, the music teacher said I was too small at the time and forced me to play clarinet which I hated.

Tried drums, bought a cheap set one year ... didn't go anywhere with them. Sold em

Tried Bass, bought a good one one year ... didn't go anywhere with it either ... Still got it back at the folks place if I'm not mistaken.

Other than that, I have a difficult time tuning a radio even. Just no talent what so ever.

I can't even sing. If I had to sing to save my life, you'd probably be better off shooting me.

pilottj
April 16th, 2010, 08:34
played the piano when I was a kid, blues became my favorite. I never learned to read music so I learned to imporvise and play by ear. In college I found a little bar that had live blues jam nights that I would frequently play at. Also was in the college jazz band as the pianist for a couple of years. After college I found a local pub that also had open mic/jam sessions that I would play at. But it is a hobby I enjoy, its hard for me to see a piano and not want to sit down and play some blues.

Cheers
TJ

Henry
April 16th, 2010, 09:08
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/nim2.jpg

Tako_Kichi
April 16th, 2010, 10:16
But...but....there's none of those guys wearing a flying helmet....BACKWARDS!....so how do we know which one is H???????????

My guess is the guy in the middle of the back row as I can't imagine H with long hair after seeing more recent pics of him a while ago.

Snuffy
April 16th, 2010, 10:24
... My guess is the guy in the middle of the back row as I can't imagine H with long hair after seeing more recent pics of him a while ago.

No, based on facial structure H is sitting lower right.

Navy Chief
April 16th, 2010, 10:34

I concur! The mystery continues!!!

NC

Henry
April 16th, 2010, 10:59
nope!
thats this guy
and im in a pic there also
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=190137424
just younger:wiggle:
H

MudMarine
April 16th, 2010, 11:01
Drums for many forgettable metal bands.

Practicing in the living room. Doesn't everyone have a drum kit set up in their living room? :icon_lol:

Henry
April 16th, 2010, 11:04
i just found another
not me hemut but my flying jacket
:sheep:

PRB
April 16th, 2010, 11:19
Drums for many forgettable metal bands.

Practicing in the living room. Doesn't everyone have a drum kit set up in their living room? :icon_lol:

For the information of all hands, don't move next to Mud's house if you want to get any sleep at night! :icon_lol:

I wasn't in a band either, but I know how to play the stereo.

Tako_Kichi
April 16th, 2010, 11:20
Ah but are you comparing the band members to H's avatar? His avatar is actually the late, great, Tommy Cooper. A Brit magician/comedian with a career that spanned more than 40 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Cooper

Moses03
April 16th, 2010, 11:53
I’m the shaggy-haired bassist far stage right circa 1991…

Takes about a minute for the song to start. The fellow who steps onstage to sing backup vocals was a friend with too many beers already pounded down.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROp58NrDzKs&feature=related

:rolleyes:

PRB
April 16th, 2010, 12:03
That's cool, Moses! You're a rock star!

Bjoern
April 16th, 2010, 12:45
I'm not a musician myself, but here's a friend's band as compensation. :d

http://www.myspace.com/bollecopter

Matt Wynn
April 16th, 2010, 12:51
i play the spoons... does that count...?

i really Play Guitar and Keyboard, not in a band, mor to keep me entertained and the guys on base annoyed, gives me a good run the following morning trying to outrun the irate lot :icon_lol:

Snuffy
April 16th, 2010, 13:00
Ah but are you comparing the band members to H's avatar? His avatar is actually the late, great, Tommy Cooper. A Brit magician/comedian with a career that spanned more than 40 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Cooper

I know the difference and No, I wasn't. Besides, H has his mug all over his personal page here. He's not a bashful kinda guy. LOL!

AckAck
April 16th, 2010, 13:05
I play the Air Drums and Air Guitar, depending on who I'm accompanying. I'm very versatile that way. Even tried Air Trumpet once, just not as much demand.

Now my group and I tour in the finest bathrooms in our house - my daughter is lead singer in the shower - really belts it out. I hope she goes solo soon, so I can get my hearing back.

Brian

Navy Chief
April 16th, 2010, 15:15
I bought an electronic drum kit, and it's set up in my kitchen, near the computer. Haven't messed with it much though, as there is a latency from when I hit the drum kit surface, until the sound card transmits it to the speakers. This doesn't happen in XP, but am not using that drive right now........ The electronic drum kit is kinda cool, and takes up less space than a conventional set. But if I can get good enough on this, I'll buy a REAL drum set.

NC

Ken Stallings
April 16th, 2010, 15:38
nope!
thats this guy
and im in a pic there also
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=190137424
just younger:wiggle:
H

Henry,

I'm going to guess in looking at the larger version of that first photo you posted, that you're the dude back row right as we're looking at the photo.

Cheers,

Ken

Henry
April 16th, 2010, 19:07
Henry,

I'm going to guess in looking at the larger version of that first photo you posted, that you're the dude back row right as we're looking at the photo.

Cheers,

Ken
ok you win
but theres no prize
LOL
H

Ken Stallings
April 16th, 2010, 19:20
ok you win
but theres no prize
LOL
H

Oh man! I was hoping for a signed album! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
April 17th, 2010, 06:24
I play the Air Drums and Air Guitar, depending on who I'm accompanying. I'm very versatile that way. Even tried Air Trumpet once, just not as much demand.

I play them in clubs. :cool: :icon_lol:

MudMarine
April 17th, 2010, 06:29
For the information of all hands, don't move next to Mud's house if you want to get any sleep at night! :icon_lol:

I wasn't in a band either, but I know how to play the stereo.

Good thing I live in the sticks!! I attack the kit so the noise level is HIGH! I sold my electronic kit which saves the neighborhood but they're just not the same as the real thing.

MudMarine
April 17th, 2010, 06:31

Now my group and I tour in the finest bathrooms in our house - my daughter is lead singer in the shower - really belts it out. I hope she goes solo soon, so I can get my hearing back.

Brian

Go for it Bro!! Screw the world, rock on!!:icon_lol:

grunau_baby
April 17th, 2010, 06:38
Pretty weird portfolio here:

1985-1986 Synthesizer (electronic hardcore), "The Subs curse" (yeah, wrong english, we knew that...)
1987-1988 Guitar (a little), Bass, Synthesizer (punk-core), still "The Subs curse" (a few loud gigs with crowd trying to escape;-)))
1989-1991 Bass, Synthesizer (indie rock, punk - our mainstreame phase;-))) a few nice or better funny gigs
than things get outta controle:
1993-1996 Bass, guitar, synthesizer (very experimental, lyrics without words, no drums, partly electronic, medieval guitarlike, dunnowhattocallit, weirdo stuff - great fun!) "Broodbakken", "Huegerkraan" tremendously alcoholized gigs with unreproducable (and unfortunately untaped) sounds.
Pause!
1999-2003 Bass (no, BBBAAAASSSS) (portuguese indie-, metal-, noise-rock), "File not found"
Musical retirement!

Alex

Cazzie
April 17th, 2010, 07:23
No rock band man here, country, play piano, teaching my oldest son now, Classical and jazz, rock is dead. Always has been a stoner genre IMHO. I do love the guitar, but I have never been able to play one to my liking. Had a piano in my home all my life.

Never played in a band, most skits I did involved more comedy than music. Worked radio for 7 years. "Stairway To Heaven" was only played when you wanted enough time to smoke a doobie.

Caz

TomSteber
April 17th, 2010, 09:13
I guess I'll jump in here and post some of my resume.
I'll try and remember what the years were.
Been playing drums since age 5. Unfortunately without a scanner I can't post many pictures.

1986-1988: Irresponsible Boyfriend (Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Top 40)
Garbage band, but everybody's got to start somewhere.
Acoustic and electric drums. Rock and roll lifestyle.
Bars, Clubs.

1988-1989: The Lennard B.Thomas Band (Classic/Southern Rock)
Acoustic drums
Better band same lifestyle.
Bars, Clubs, few outdoor shows.

1989-1990: Zero Discipline (Top 40)
Acoustic drums
Bass player went on to play with (believe it or not) Flock of Seagulls for several years.
Once watching "One Hit Wonders" on VH1 they showed the band as to what they were doing now and there was Dean playing in the background. LOL
Bars, Clubs.

1990-1993: Fat Radish (Top 40, Classic Rock, Wedding Band stuff)
Acoustic drums
Best band I was ever in (musician wise), we played everything from Steely Dan, Journey, Van Halen to Charlie Danial's and old polka's.
Lot of ego problems. Seems to happen when the band gets good.
Bars, Clubs, Festivals, Fairs.

1993-1994: Bottom Line (Classic rock, Southern Rock, Top 40)
Acoustic drums
LOTS of drinking. Lead guitarist was seriously hurt in car accident. End of band.
Bars, Clubs

1994-1998: South Ellis (Original, Top 40, Classic rock, Southern rock)
Acoustic drums
Recorded CD in pro studio. Self marketed CD. Regional airplay of three songs (including one in heavy rotation).
Most fun band I played in. Was like family. Fought like one from time to time too.
Left band to settle down (with the wrong person) right before band was going into studio to record second disk. (Bad choice to leave, but we live and learn)
Bars, Clubs, Opening Act gigs, Headline gigs, festivals.
Sorry, no Youtube videos.

2009-Present: Oak Brook Church Worship Team
Electronic drums, Conga
Contemporary Christian worship songs
Fun to be playing again. Not the best musicians but the crowd is WAY better behaved! :)
Never thought I'd be playing in church but it's great to give back with the talents that God has given me. I also get to play with my great (second) wife. She's a good singer. She also played in bands.

There were also many times that I would sub for different bands too.

I also taught drunning for about 7 years. Beginner to mid level. Didn't feel comfortable going beyond that because I'm mostly self taught and don't read music.

I know I posted this before but it's the only pictures I have of my current rig. These were taken a few years ago when Brett Favre was still cool in G.B.

Ickie
April 17th, 2010, 09:25
this is all I am
http://ronnylarson.com/

n4gix
April 17th, 2010, 10:13
I've began on the organ at age 5, and have studied ever since. I was planning on a career as a concert organist, but an accident which nearly cost me three fingers on my right hand put paid to that path. Over the years, I've managed to retrain my right hand's crippled fingers, but certainly not to where they were before.

Anyway when I was sixteen I got roped into playing a Farfisa Combo/Compact* (POS really AFAIC) with a local band in the Alexandria, VA area for a few years. Frankly, it was so long ago I can't even remember the name of the band! We had at least one gig every weekend, usually at one of the many NCO or Officer clubs in the Metro DC area, mostly because our lead guitarist's father was a Major General in the Army... <SNICKER!>

Our routine was mostly cover music, although our bass player wrote a few easily forgettable originals.

In any case, since then I've played with no other group. Instead, I've spent the past forty-odd years performing solo organ concerts at various venues around the area wherever I happened to be living at the time. :bump:

cheezyflier
April 17th, 2010, 13:54
this is all I am
http://ronnylarson.com/

the shortest post, yet says the most.

Brian_Gladden
April 17th, 2010, 14:21
I come from a musical family.... Unfortunately, none of the innate talent was passed down.

My mom was an operatically trained Mezzo soprano. She could truly shatter a wine glass. She could also play a little piano.

My Dad spent his younger years (pre WWII) Touring all over the Northeast US with his Band, The Northern Ridge Runners. Played old school Country and western. My dad was primarily a guitarist but could also play, Violin, (Fiddle) Stand up Bass, Mandolin and a little Piano. He also did backing vocals.

He made his living in his later years as a mechanic but never stopped playing. Matter of fact, the day he passed away,(at age 86) he had just driven over to a friends house to rehearse for a gig. he and a few surviving former band mates played the Nursing home circuit.

My dad got a kick out of being able to walk out the door of the nursing home and get into his car when he was as old or older than the patients he had just played for.

I tried to learn Guitar in High school but it didn't take. I was probably too impatient. I also can't sing...

At least I have a big MP3 Collection :jump:

Brian

cheezyflier
April 17th, 2010, 22:03
i wasn't allowed to learn an instrument in our house and only started with guitar after i left home and moved with my older sister. sometimes i wonder if it would have helped me to start earlier.

Cloud9Gal
April 18th, 2010, 04:28
I never played in a band and I don't sing well at all. However, I play the piano :)

Ken Stallings
April 18th, 2010, 15:10
I never played in a band and I don't sing well at all. However, I play the piano :)

Perhaps not, but if those are your legs in your avatar photo, you have other absolutely undeniable assets working in your advantage! :jump:

Cheers,

Ken

Bjoern
April 18th, 2010, 15:33
Perhaps not, but if those are your legs in your avatar photo, you have other absolutely undeniable assets working in your advantage! :jump:

Laughed. :icon_lol: