PDA

View Full Version : Flying over the Iditarod

mfitch
April 15th, 2010, 10:33
A coworker of my wife's participated in the Iditarod air force. They fly supplies to each station and bring back dogs that are dropped from teams. This led me to try flying the route for the fun of using the Carenado C185 on skis. This is the most common plane in use for this work. I also use UTX Alaska and REX.

Here are some screen shots of my simulated Iditarod overflight.

Below (in reverse order) are the start at Merrill Field (PAMR), a view of the Point MacKenzie area, and the plane landed at Deshka Landing (Willow).

mfitch
April 15th, 2010, 10:36
Here is the next segment. In reverse order again (must learn this upload better), starting at Deshka Landing and parked at Skwentna (PASW).

mfitch
April 15th, 2010, 10:41
The next segment is one of the most beautiful as it crosses the Alaska Range. Landing at Rohn (which is just a cabin with a dirt/snow strip) is a bit hard due to the mountains and wind patterns.

Below are landed at Rohn, and enroute to Rohn.

harleyman
April 15th, 2010, 14:40
Sounds like it was fun...How many hours did it take you? And were the Sim hours antwhere like what they may be in real life?

Nice pics too !

mfitch
April 17th, 2010, 10:56
Sounds like it was fun...How many hours did it take you? And were the Sim hours antwhere like what they may be in real life?

So far I am only to Nikolai (maybe half the stops). Flight times in the simulator were
Merrill (Anchorage) to Deshka Landing (Willow) 34 minutes
Willow to Skwentna 32 minutes
Skwentna to Rohn (Tatitna) 45 minutes
Rohn to Nikolai 40 minutes

In reality I believe they shuttle from Willow directly to each station with supplies, and from each station to Anchorage with dogs. I just wanted to try more airports in Alaska, so I am flying along the route rather than pretending to deliver cargo.

mfitch
April 17th, 2010, 10:58
Rohn (Tatitna 8KA) to Nikolai (5NI)

In reality there would be cargo up to the roof of the plane. UTX Alaska provides a village at Nikolai.