PDA

View Full Version : How to Spit Nails!

falcon409
April 15th, 2010, 10:08
Pretty easy actually, be 2 minutes away from completing the rework of a detailed panel you spent about 20hrs on in PSP8 and have it trash the entire project because it has a problem with my cutting a block of copy and moving it. Oh man, I cannot believe it did that. I can't open the dang layered file because it's corrupted. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:gameoff::sniper::banghea d::tgun2::a1451::violent:

MCDesigns
April 15th, 2010, 10:28
I feel your pain Ed!! I'm that way with gmax, sometimes you can just click on a part and it will close on you, probably why I have a zillion copies of each file I work on, don't want to start from scratch.

falcon409
April 15th, 2010, 10:48
I feel your pain Ed!! I'm that way with gmax, sometimes you can just click on a part and it will close on you, probably why I have a zillion copies of each file I work on, don't want to start from scratch.
Yep. I won't be starting over on this one. I'll do what I can with what I saved to the texture file and leave it at that. Luckily I enlarged the texture to 2048x2048, so at least it should retain most of the clarity, even if it isn't the layered version anymore.

warchild
April 15th, 2010, 11:43
I know that feeling.... I've had about three planes where i'd worked on them for gods know how many hours, and had them near perfect, only for senility to kick in and me get real cocky and change two entries instead of just one, then forget the entries i changed.. Had to completely start over on all three of them.. I wish i could point to a program and be angry at it, but i cant.. I made some pretty dumb mistakes..

Kiwikat
April 15th, 2010, 12:17
It's even worse when it is a school assignment that is due.

Ugh... been there done that. :frown:

MCDesigns
April 15th, 2010, 12:17
Yep. I won't be starting over on this one. I'll do what I can with what I saved to the texture file and leave it at that. Luckily I enlarged the texture to 2048x2048, so at least it should retain most of the clarity, even if it isn't the layered version anymore.

Sometimes starting over can give better results, even though the time is greatly increased. For my FSX Iraq package, I wanted to do a better Abrams tank than I did for FS9 and use as little photoreal textures as possible and as many actual parts as was reasonable for a scenery object, I was very pleased with the final results, much more than I expected, even though the amount of time spend on it, well we won't go into that, LOL.

Thoe6969
April 15th, 2010, 13:02
Pretty easy actually, be 2 minutes away from completing the rework of a detailed panel you spent about 20hrs on in PSP8 and have it trash the entire project because it has a problem with my cutting a block of copy and moving it. Oh man, I cannot believe it did that. I can't open the dang layered file because it's corrupted. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:gameoff::sniper::banghea d::tgun2::a1451::violent: Man that sucks,can't imagine how frustating that must be.Kinda the way my last couple of weeks have been.

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 13:34
Thats happened to me before Falcon. I started saving backups of my graphics files after that. But its only happened perhaps twice in my carreer of working in layers. Adobe Photoshop does well with their files, but they do get corrupted sometimes.

If only they offered a debugger tool for fixing such files. Surely its possible.

Bill

dougal
April 15th, 2010, 14:01
Thats happened to me before Falcon. I started saving backups of my graphics files after that. But its only happened perhaps twice in my carreer of working in layers. Adobe Photoshop does well with their files, but they do get corrupted sometimes.

If only they offered a debugger tool for fixing such files. Surely its possible.

Bill

Chrickey! If it were me I'd sure offer debuggers a tool - the one in my hand:jump:

Bjoern
April 15th, 2010, 15:27

Same here, but more for easily fixing screwed up parts than pure backup reasons.

At the moment, it's 364 files for the 328 alone. Fortunately, .3ds files are very compressable, so 5.77GB of files can be cut down to 177Mb with 7Zip.

My laptop also contains a copy of the whole project folder, albeit in a less recent state.