PDA

View Full Version : Awesome new Sound pack for the 172!

Tim_Horton
April 15th, 2010, 07:16
http://www.fspilotshop.com/images/c172_soundlgsm.jpg http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2523

The Sonic Solutions Cessna 172 sound pack pays tribute to one of aviations greatest little planes. Produced by award winning sound designer Vance Dylan, this sound pack has many unique features you won't find in any other Cessna 172 let alone the stock FSX version.

Recorded from the actual aircraft at 24bit/48k and implemented in game at 16 bit/48k to ensure high fidelity. The result is clear punchy sounds with lots of dynamic range.

To help make this plane stand out from all other 172's the interior of an old van was added as wheel rolls, you'll be able to hear every crack and bump as you taxi, land or take off.

Features:

All new sounds for External and Internal
Starter and combustion start
Non Combustion sounds
Door opens and closes
Flaps
Directional prop wash on rear of plane
Sound cones on engine
Wing and fuse scrapes
randomizing wheel touch downs
randomizing crashes for land and water
Wheel rolls
unique engine sounds add sputter and back fire at certain RPMs
Interior rattles at high RPMs

I have to say personally I have played with these sounds and man Do they ever bring the 172 to life!! I thought the sounds were good as they were but wow. This guy know's what he is doing when it comes to audio I have to tell you! Also he is coming out with a DA-20 Eclipse sound pack also! there was a model by wssimulations and a katana X. along with Iris who did their XLS which should work as well!

I am uniquely qualified to critique audio products, as an audio professional. I have been producing National projects for over 25 years, many you have heard. I produce, record and create audio all day, every day. I would like to congratulate this team for effectively creating a true audio environment that allows the sim flyer to feel the extra level of realism. The audio, in response to throttle movements is quick and engaging. The carburetor hiccup upon engine start gave me the same sensation as starting up a 172. For the slight reduction of flap effect (slight -3 db), I re-adjusted the sound panel which helped overall anyway. The entire experience is FAR SUPERIOR to the standard 172 stock sound set. Just for a hoot, I forced a crash.... my daughter came running in the room. "Did you just crash"? The only thing missing would be a slight waft of start up oil burning out! For $10? This is a real deal. I know the work to get this done. Great job....give it a try. If you want a better sound enviroment for your small craft, this is it! Musicproducer@aol.com

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2010, 07:59
am i the only one who thought the voice-over and background music is a terrible idea for a video meant to showcase a sound package?

flaviossa
April 15th, 2010, 08:37
Iīm sorry to say that i didinīt like this package at all. I bought it in simmarket.com, installed and ... The sound cones in FSX are bad implemented in this package making huge and abruptuous difference in the sound when rotating outside of the aircraft. Itīs almost like taking your ears shut with your hands and suddenly open it. The flaps sound is almost impossible to hear inside the aircraft. Already deleted it from my fsx and go back with the default one which i thanks God, made a backup.

And yes, i used the suggested sound config in fsx. So, letīs wait for the next package.

Tim_Horton
April 15th, 2010, 09:09
i'm sorry to hear that. I have not experienced anything of the sort, so it may just be you.

lawdawg
April 15th, 2010, 15:05
No, it was not just him.
Is not just him & me either.

Snave
April 15th, 2010, 15:06
...to know that there was an `exchange` between the developer and myself over on the Aerosoft forum when he announced (against forum rules) the Diamond DA20 soundpack as suitable for the Digitial Aviation DA20 Katana X.
He didn't take it too well being told that the engines are completely different between the DA20-C1 Eclipse he recorded (Continental IO-240-B3B) and the Katana A1 and DA20-100 re-manufactured models created by DA (Rotax 912 80 or 100-horse, respectively).

As I fly both types in the real world this, I know... :salute:

His `Eclipse` soundpack will not be suitable for any payware model except the WS Simulation example so any claims for anything else need to be taken with a pinch of salt. As self-promotion of payware not sold by Aerosoft is not permitted, that topic was subsequently removed.

Caveat Emptor!

PRB
April 15th, 2010, 15:58
Iīm sorry to say that i didinīt like this package at all. I bought it in simmarket.com, installed and ... The sound cones in FSX are bad implemented in this package making huge and abruptuous difference in the sound when rotating outside of the aircraft. Itīs almost like taking your ears shut with your hands and suddenly open it. The flaps sound is almost impossible to hear inside the aircraft. Already deleted it from my fsx and go back with the default one which i thanks God, made a backup.

And yes, i used the suggested sound config in fsx. So, letīs wait for the next package.

It's possible that IRL you can barely hear the sound of the flaps from inside. The real pilots here can confirm or deny that "theory". Your post about the flap sound reminded me of the MAAM B-25, the sound set for which contains no sounds for the gear and flaps movement because, as they explained it, you cannot hear a darned thing with the engines running, except the engines! So you have to look at the gauge to see if the flaps and wheels are comming down. Of course, that's a couple of Wright Cyclones a couple of feet from your head...

spotlope
April 15th, 2010, 18:53
It's possible that IRL you can barely hear the sound of the flaps from inside. The real pilots here can confirm or deny that "theory". Your post about the flap sound reminded me of the MAAM B-25, the sound set for which contains no sounds for the gear and flaps movement because, as they explained it, you cannot hear a darned thing with the engines running, except the engines! So you have to look at the gauge to see if the flaps and wheels are comming down. Of course, that's a couple of Wright Cyclones a couple of feet from your head...

I feel qualified to comment, having flown a real 172 and been a passenger on the real B-25 "Briefing Time" as well. For sure, you can't hear the flaps or gear on BT. For that matter, you can't really hear anything but the beautiful, god-awful roar of those engines. I lifted one of my ear protectors during the flight just to see how it sounded unmuffled, and I swear that ear is still ringing 6 years later. It was fantastic!

In a 172, you can definitely hear the flaps coming down, both on the ground an in-flight.

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2010, 20:53
I feel qualified to comment, having flown a real 172 and been a passenger on the real B-25 "Briefing Time" as well. For sure, you can't hear the flaps or gear on BT. For that matter, you can't really hear anything but the beautiful, god-awful roar of those engines. I lifted one of my ear protectors during the flight just to see how it sounded unmuffled, and I swear that ear is still ringing 6 years later. It was fantastic!

In a 172, you can definitely hear the flaps coming down, both on the ground an in-flight.

i'd give my last front tooth to get a ride in BT. you are a lucky spotlope

Snave
April 16th, 2010, 01:51
As a current 172 pilot, in addition to the Diamonds, I can endorse the fact that you DO hear the flap motors when deploying. Strictly speaking, you hear the left motor just aft of the wing spar and perceive it more as a sound over your left shoulder than the general cockpit hubbub. It's kind of amplified by the wing as a vibration as well as a noise.
Seems this is not something that can be done by utilising the sound cones in FSX unless I've missed something in a setting somewhere?

stansdds
April 16th, 2010, 03:14
I've flown on a B-17 and a B-25, couldn't hear much other than engine, prop and wind noise. Even conversations with the person next to me was a shouting match. I've flown on a number of tubeliners and you can hear spoilers, flaps, and gear, but on warbirds, there is no sound insulation.

Snave
April 16th, 2010, 04:54
http://secure.simmarket.com/sonic-solutions-da-20-soundpack.phtml

I guess I must be the `purist` referred to!. Now, as for the accuracy, there's a poor quality demo video that actually plays the sounds for this one, and it sounds absolutely NOTHING like the Rotax engined example.
Ironically, it doesn't sound much like the C1 example in external views either - far too deep a base tone, but that could be a problem of using a flight model that is totally inappropriate for the sound.cfg. Internally, the low rpm cruise of the C1 is dominated not by the engine noise, but by the wind noise. There is no wind noise in this soundset that I can hear.

Conversely, the stall horn is perfect...

Personally, I think their advertising is misleading, and will be complaining. I don't take kindly to being given the brush-off and can't see why anyone who might be in the market for replacement sounds would be interested in anything that's LESS accurate than what was there before, purist or no.

Caveat Emptor

Francois
April 16th, 2010, 07:24
Quite frankly, I personally have never ever purchased ANY sound pack for ANY aircraft and can't see why anybody would, really..... but then again.. my hearing isn't so good anymore after years and years of airliner flights and motor trips, so any quality would be wasted on me :sleep:

kilo delta
April 16th, 2010, 07:31
Quite frankly, I personally have never ever purchased ANY sound pack for ANY aircraft and can't see why anybody would, really..... but then again.. my hearing isn't so good anymore after years and years of airliner flights and motor trips, so any quality would be wasted on me :sleep:

Same here. Also, and not meaning to stir up a hornet's nest here, but I wonder if sound packs bearing the Cessna name would be liable for licence fee's same as for aircraft models?

Tim_Horton
April 16th, 2010, 11:24
i don't think cessna can lay claim to audio coming from their planes. I could see that one if cessna purposely produced a specific audio tone such as a ring tone that every single plane has, but due to the diversity of a piston engine, I'm not sure if one company could say "Hey that's my tune man." Even Harley can't pull that one anymore.

Snave
April 16th, 2010, 11:26
Same here. Also, and not meaning to stir up a hornet's nest here, but I wonder if sound packs bearing the Cessna name would be liable for licence fee's same as for aircraft models?

Possibly not, but if they misrepresent them in any way, shape or form expect those pleasant, reasonable, apologetic, easy-going fellows from the legal department to be on you with a friendly suggestion or two...:salute:

I see the developer has `found a couple of new friends` (coff!) to post in favour of the notion of using totally bogus sounds as an appropriate sales methodology. Strange, neither `Jeremy` nor `Lil Jakey` exist in any customer forum where I have seen the Digital Aviation Katana X discussed...

Surely, I am just getting too cynical in my old age... :kilroy:

Tim_Horton
April 16th, 2010, 11:41
As sigmund freud would say, Your desire to not be re-buffed is a direct correlation with your subconscious mind in it's desire to obtain a sighting into the fact that you need reconfirmation you exist. Also it seems you have a grudge against the guy.

PRB
April 16th, 2010, 12:15
Snave, you've made your point about this product. I'm not really interested in what is between you and the developer, but this thread won't turn into a food fight between you and them. Just a friendly warning!

kilo delta
April 16th, 2010, 12:33
i don't think cessna can lay claim to audio coming from their planes. I could see that one if cessna purposely produced a specific audio tone such as a ring tone that every single plane has, but due to the diversity of a piston engine, I'm not sure if one company could say "Hey that's my tune man." Even Harley can't pull that one anymore.

They can't lay claim to the sound of the engine,of course....but they do and have laid claim to the Cessna name,logo,trademarks etc as has been evident by other fs developers who have sought to provide Cessna products. :)

Snave
April 16th, 2010, 12:36
As sigmund freud would say, Your desire to not be re-buffed is a direct correlation with your subconscious mind in it's desire to obtain a sighting into the fact that you need reconfirmation you exist. Also it seems you have a grudge against the guy.

Never heard of him prior to this, so hardly likely. And when I look in the mirror I do exist - that is, if the mirror is not part of the delusion. But then, are YOU a figment of my imagination, or am I yours..? It's all so very troubling to my feeble mind. :wiggle:

Claims for compatibility with the DA Katana are just wrong - startup, idle, low erv, high rev, overrun and shutdown sounds are all totally different - as you might expect given the only commonality between the engines is the flat-four configuration. After that, EVERYTHING else is different - even the aircraft they hang them on, cockpit procedures and gauges, flight characteristics. the Continental is substantially heavier, slower revving and higher in horsepower than the revyy little Rotax, and the flight model in the DA Katana is specifically configured to cater for the different flying characters of each - the 80 and 100hp models. Alex Metzger did a fine job replicating those, for the ROTAX models.

So you don't make a Rotax Katana into a Conti Eclipse simply by changing the noises they make. I even have some notes in my logbook about the possible `catchouts` to look out for when swapping between the two, as have nearly done some silly things when swapping between the two close apart.

hey_moe
April 16th, 2010, 13:15
Please try and respect one another and air your dirty laundry somewhere else, thanks Mike