PDA

View Full Version : Defiant's Armament

Daiwilletti
April 14th, 2010, 18:40
A question regarding what the best way to simulate 4x 303 caliber MGs in a turret might be. I liked Nigel's suggestion that in the Defiant's xdp file, the gun type be made the AvHistory power turret in .303 caliber.

Looking at the gun xdp for the power turret however a question has arisen. The rate limit for the power turret is (IIRC) 18.9. Now I would assume that means a rate of 18.9 rounds per second. If that is correct, for a 4 MG turret that makes the rate for each gun as under 5 rounds per second, which is clearly too low.

Would one option be to create a variant on the power turret's gun xdp, with a rate limit somewhat higher? Looking at some of the other 303 MG rate limits, they seem quite high - eg. the vickers hand held and the 303 browning. If that was the real rate for a single MG then the power turret's rate limit would be way low.

The only other wrinkle I can think of is if there are in fact 4 barrels defined in the Defiant's model, and that somehow CFS3 takes that into account and takes the rate limit from the gun xdp file and multiplies it by the number of barrels?

Can one of the GMax gurus who makes aircraft please enlighten me? I just want to be sure that the hitting power of the 4 x 303 MGs is being correctly represented in the current description of the armament.

thanks a bundle,
D

ndicki
April 14th, 2010, 23:37
Each gun node is giving out the full rate for one .303 Browning, and there are four linked gun nodes. So you are getting your money's worth!

You do have one point - the ETO Spit was modded to make the noise not of one Browning, but all 8 at once. We should do something similar for the Defiant. If you have say 4 similar guns, CFS plays the gunfire sound once, not four times overlayed. It will mix gunfire sounds from different types of guns - 20mm cannon and .303s on a Spit IXc for example - but you'll still get the effect of one 20mm and one .303.

So if I get the time to put together a sound file, I'll see what can be done. Could be ripping fun!

Daiwilletti
April 15th, 2010, 13:33
Thanks for clearing that up, Nigel.

So there are multiple gun nodes and CFS3 works off them.

The sound of 4 x .303 MGs would be glorious indeed!! Where is Squiffy when you need him? He seemed to be set up for editing sound files.

ndicki
April 16th, 2010, 06:43
All done and being tested! I've even got as far as the second set of sound files...