PDA

View Full Version : sleep mode in vista causes my desktop to hang or disappear?

dmaloof
April 13th, 2010, 20:26
Hi, I know this is more technical bt it does have an impact on cfs. i just put the vista 32 bit os pc to sleep for 20minutes and when I went to start up by touching mouse, it only showed desktop background and no cfs 2 icons or any other icons for that matter. i put it on slep again by clicking on keyboard and it cam eto normal. Before this, i did a factory install because the destop wouldnt show and got black screen consistently. it wiped out my cfs 2 and 3 installs. I dont know what to do now. i have to reintsall my cfs2 and 3's but am afraid of this happenign again. Does anyone here know how to fix this sleep mode or what do you guys use in this case? I am not sue if hibernate works or power settings in vista need to be chgd. If so to what? This is killing my cfs 2 and 3 experience.

mariereid
April 14th, 2010, 03:42
dmaloof Welcome to the forum! I have not heard of that problem before. Let's hope one of the guys has had the same problem and found a way to fix it. I never use sleep mode on my main pc. The worst thing it does on this machine is cause me to retype the password and go off line. :ernae:

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 05:49
Yeah, I never use sleep mode on any of mine either. Had problems waking the systems up in the past, so it was too much of a pain. I like controlling my computers instead of them controlling me.

p14u2nv
April 14th, 2010, 09:32
I too have had issues with sleep mode with Vista 64 and simply refuse to use it as it does screw up CFS2 if you leave it open but reduced. I have also observed that if you use alt & tab to cycle through to another program that is open you can forget getting back into CFS2 also.

Sleep mode does not work for me anyway as I have tried it a few times. It merely powers down to the set levels for sleep mode and within 40 seconds or so the pc powers right back up. The only way I know around this, other than shutting down completely, is to take the pc access to the net away as I believe because it is still forwarding info back and forth between open programs and the net through settings of those programs that you have preapproved that need access to stay current and up to date. That's my guess anyway.

The only solution I know that works 100% is to simply NOT use sleep mode at all if you keep CFS2 open or close CFS2 and use sleep mode all you want to.

p14u2nv
April 14th, 2010, 09:36
...I like controlling my computers instead of them controlling me.

I'm with you DD especially when when I first started using this Vista 64. If I closed a program and especially IE8 a small screen popped up telling me that Windows was trying to find a solution...I didn't like the pc trying to take precedence over what I just commanded it to do which was close this program. It doesn't do that move anymore btw.

dmaloof
April 16th, 2010, 17:55
Hi, thx for reply. i have decided to put power setting to never. I just hope the monitor doesn;t burn out. Would a screensaver help for that or no?

p14u2nv
April 16th, 2010, 20:08
Actually the deal with screensavers, unless you really want one, is they are not really necessary nowadays. Back in the day starting with the old Kodachrome CRT monitors I think they were called (1980ish) they were a necessity to keep from burning an actual image into the screen thereby ruining it. If you have a newer monitor they aren't needed anymore. I haven't used one in years now myself. Hope that helps