PDA

View Full Version : Skins

dewoitine
April 12th, 2010, 23:49
Hi all,

I have a problem of understanding concerning the implementation of a skin.
I follow indications but the plane remains stubbornly identical to the original.
It is maybe a problem of m3d or DDS ?
Thank you for the reponse.

noelberrier
April 13th, 2010, 00:20
DDS files are searched in the whole CFS3 directory, so if you have two DDS with the same name in different subfolders, you'll never know which one the game engine will use.

If you want to overwrite the old skin, you have to rename the new DDS exactly as the old one, as the name is hard coded in the model file.

If you create a stand-alone new aircraft, you have to duplicate the model file (and some others as well), and edit the new model file (with some hex editor or m3d editor, not notepad) to change the reference to DDS file to the new name - which must be exactly the same length as the old one !

The process is well detailed in many ndicki's skins, and in far better english ;)

dewoitine
April 13th, 2010, 00:33
Thank you noelberrier.
Indeed I read the process ndicki's skins but I have not hex editor.
Well, I am going to try to install it (but it's all english).
C'est la galère.
Tchao.

Phenozo
April 13th, 2010, 08:59
This is the website to get the "XVI32" Hex Edit Program :

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

On that page is a link to it's most recent version, 2.51

dewoitine
April 13th, 2010, 10:56
Thank you Phenozo

ndicki
April 14th, 2010, 05:23
Without hex editing, it won't work. Basically, the skins go into subfolders of their aircraft only for convenience; you could equally put all your aircraft skins in one single "skins" folder and it would have the same effect. As Noelberrier says, if you have two texture files with the same name in two different directories you can not control which one will actually be used. You have to change the file names, and that means hex editing the m3d and mos files. Follow that tutorial of mine and you'll see. It's not difficult.

MajorMagee
April 14th, 2010, 06:34
Here's how I made a stand alone of the Dutch CAT skin for PTO.

1. Make a copy of the folder TK_PBY5_W_QZ
2. Rename the folder to TK_PBY5_Y-38
3. Open the folder and delete TK_PBY5_W_QZ.bdp
4. Rename the file TK_PBY5_W-QZ.air to TK_PBY5_Y-38.air
5. Rename the file TK_PBY5_W-QZ.xpd to TK_PBY5_Y-38.xpd
6. Open TK_PBY5_Y-38.xpd and edit:
LongName="TK_PBY5_W_QZ" ShortName="Catalina MkIIa W-QZ RAF 209Sq" ModelName="TK_PBY5_W_QZ.M3D"
to
LongName="TK_PBY5_Y-38" ShortName="Dutch PBY5 SN Y-38" ModelName="TK_PBY5_Y-38.M3D"
and
Country="britain_faa"
to
Country="other_allied_nations"
7. Open aircraft.cfg and edit
title =TK_PBY5_W_QZ
sim = TK_PBY5_W_QZ
model = TK_PBY5_W_QZ
to
title =TK_PBY5_Y-38
sim = TK_PBY5_Y-38
model = TK_PBY5_Y-38
8. Drop the new skin in the texture folder and let it replace TK_PBY5_W_QZ_t.dds
9. Rename TK_PBY5_W_QZ_t.dds to TK_PBY5_Y-38_t.dds
10. Rename TK_PBY5_W_QZ_t.mos to TK_PBY5_Y-38_t.mos
11. Open TK_PBY5_Y-38_t.mos with a Hex Editor
(I use the freeware xvi32 (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm) )
find TK_PBY5_W_QZ_t.dds near the top and change it to TK_PBY5_YP-38_t.dds and save.
12. Rename all the files in the model folder
TK_PBY5_W_QZ.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit0.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit1.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit2.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit3.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit4.M3D
TK_PBY5_W_QZ_Cockpit5.M3D
to
TK_PBY5_Y-38.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit0.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit1.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit2.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit3.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit4.M3D
TK_PBY5_Y-38_Cockpit5.M3D
13. Open TK_PBY5_Y-38.M3D with a Hex Editor
find TK_PBY5_W_QZ.dds at character 3,792 and change it to TK_PBY5_Y-38_t.dds and save.
(This assumes you also have TK_PBY5_DH_Y installed as they share cockpit textures, and
TK_PBY5A_VP11_s.dds. Otherwise you will need to add those files and edit their matching entires too.)
14. Check the sound file alias to make sure the directory and file listed there exists in your install.
15. Give it a test run.

ndicki
April 14th, 2010, 07:30
Une page d'editeurs en francais:

http://www.logitheque.com/logiciels/windows/utilitaires/editeur_hexadecimal/tous/francais/?Tri=5

Bonne recherche!

dewoitine
April 14th, 2010, 08:57
Thank you Nigel but I have Hex Editor XVI32.
Thank you MajorMagee for your example.
Thank you all !
I hope I can arrive there...I understand but it's necessary to explain to me for a long time.:bump:

ndicki
April 14th, 2010, 23:14
"Je comprends vite mais il faut m'expliquer longtemps..." Proverbe - enfin, en quelque sorte - d'une des mes petites amies!

(Note to non-francophone users - this is devoid of anti-American content and perfectly safe for viewers of all ages and political leanings.)

alain95
April 14th, 2010, 23:44
Big brother is watching you Nigel !

:ipepsi2::USA-flag:

Pat Pattle
April 15th, 2010, 03:22
(Note to non-francophone users - this is devoid of anti-American content and perfectly safe for viewers of all ages and political leanings.)

:icon_lol:

dewoitine
April 15th, 2010, 05:00
"Je comprends vite mais il faut m'expliquer longtemps..." Proverbe - enfin, en quelque sorte - d'une des mes petites amies!

Is she fair ?:jump:

ndicki
April 15th, 2010, 07:37
"Was", I'm afraid. A lovely auburn redhead, but very fair indeed! I've since been conquered by a blonde German...

dewoitine
April 15th, 2010, 07:59
Sorry, it's just a joke and I am like you...