PDA

View Full Version : I Need More Fire and Smoke

Devildog73
April 12th, 2010, 17:59
12 October 1943 General Kenney sends massive numbers of aircraft to dessimate Rabaul airfields and harbor. I am at 18 B-17s, 18 B-24s, 18 B-25s, 12 Beaufighters, 16 P-38s, 8 Oscars, 8 Zeros, several IJN ships and boats, 2 USN PT boats and keeping FPS above 35.

When the bombs and torpedoes hit their targets, McGuire and company are heavily involved between 7,000 and 21,000 feet. (In reality McGuire gets shot down on this mission, hence the PT boats).

Anyway, ........ when the bombs and torpedoes hit, it is a ho-hum, flash-bang. It looks really neat in the early morning raid, but as the sun brightens the day, nothing is smokin'. As the player aircraft dives, bobs, weaves, etc., there should be some smoke and flames rising up from the burning ships, oil tanks, munitions bunkers, etc.

I have tried all of the effects that I am aware of and none of them do it for me.
Anybody know of or have any longer lasting, BIGGER FLAMES and Blacker SMOKE?

BTW, McGuire only flew 9 missions before Bong returned and they joined up. This is McGuire mission 6, and I already completed the mis on 7 & 8, and both mis and dyn on 9. This one (6) is done, UNLESS I can get better fire and smoke effects.

sc7500
April 12th, 2010, 20:08
I use this entry for fuel dumps and warehouses... VERY spectacular:

[EFFECTS.x]
; System = xxxxx
effect.0=10,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_s,
effect.1=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_m,
effect.2=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
effect.3=100,BOMB,,
effect.4=10,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_m,
effect.5=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_l,
effect.6=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_m,
effect.7=99,BOMB,,
effect.8=100,LIBRARY,fx_volcano,
effect.9=10,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_s,
effect.10=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_m,
effect.11=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
effect.12=100,BOMB,,
effect.13=10,LIBRARY,fx_fuelleak_l,
effect.14=60,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_l,
effect.15=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
effect.16=98,BOMB,,
effect.17=99,LIBRARY,fx_volcano,
effect.18=100,LIBRARY,fx_marker,

Enjoy
SC
:kilroy:

demorier
April 12th, 2010, 22:52
I think you'll find most standard and modified effects are not fully realistic to try and keep the frame rates within smooth action range.

Devildog73
April 13th, 2010, 02:19
Thanks SC7500,
I will modify and try and watch my frame rates.

flying_spud
April 13th, 2010, 02:25
This is the old trade-off between graphics and frps that seems to dog all combat flight sims to some extent and probably always will. Probably the best way to see lifelike smokr and flames is to enlist in your local airforce.

Devildog73
April 13th, 2010, 02:31
You obviously do not know what I do for a living.........

Jagdflieger
April 13th, 2010, 02:51
Oh, for the days of the Arc Light again...

Try Nanni's volcano effect. It is triggerable so you can have it ignite just as the bombs hit or even delay it to fit in with the scenario. Here's the link:

http://web.tiscalinet.it/Nanni/CFS/index.htm

This is an old link, so if anyone doesn't have any of these effects, get 'em now before they're gone.

flying_spud
April 14th, 2010, 03:27
You obviously do not know what I do for a living.........

Pyrotechnics special effects man in Hollywood?

Or perhaps A-10 pilot over Afghanistan?

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 05:15
Not quite. The Jagd and I will be the last two Vietnam combat vets to retire off of AD, when we go. I called in Naval Gunfire and close air support for the 9th Rangers in MR1. Then I became an FO red leg for Army 8 inch self propelled. Now I push paper and teach Soldiers how to shoot expert instead of bolo or marksman with whatever kind of small arms the Army gives them to shoot.

frankwi
April 14th, 2010, 05:42
Will CFS effects work in FSX ?

flying_spud
April 14th, 2010, 05:58
Not quite. The Jagd and I will be the last two Vietnam combat vets to retire off of AD, when we go. I called in Naval Gunfire and close air support for the 9th Rangers in MR1. Then I became an FO red leg for Army 8 inch self propelled. Now I push paper and teach Soldiers how to shoot expert instead of bolo or marksman with whatever kind of small arms the Army gives them to shoot.

Respect. Guess you'll never match the fireworks you saw right?

Do you fly the "Wings Over" (Europe, Vietnam, Israel) Series by thirdwire? Lots of mods going on over there too...........

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 06:00
I am not sure if CFS files will work in FSX or not.

BTW, I took the day off today, and plan to finish McGuire 6-7-8, and tweak 9. Once these are done, I will upload Aces High Campaign 2 to cover then Lieutenant Tommy McGuire's early days in New Guinea. It is then on to the Bong-McGuire-Lynch-Kirby missions for the final 3rd Campaign, which I will tie together with a cmg file that runs them start to finish as one Campaign.

Rami
April 14th, 2010, 06:07
Devildog,

More fire and smoke? That reminds me of my first car...

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 06:08
flyingspud, no, as Jagd alluded to, arc lights were spectacular to watch! Not quite as spectacular, but still pretty impressive were naval gunfire salvos. I was one of the last ANGLICO Marines to call in 16 inch from the New Jersey. You could actually hear and see those buzzards flying in! And oh the fireworks! 16 inchers have a very distinct sound coming in and overhead. She was replaced by the heavy cruiser Newport News armed with 8 inch guns. Half the size of the New Jersey's but not half the hole in the ground! 8 inchers can still ruin a guys day, big time!

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 06:10
Rami, me too! I had an old '64 Pontiac with a 389 v-8. By the time my hot rod teen aged driving was done with it, I used more oil in 100 miles than gallons of gasoline, and I could actually watch the needle move on the gas gauge the way I drove back then! But gasoline was only 35 cents a gallon!

sc7500
April 14th, 2010, 07:40
...I will modify and try and watch my frame rates...

Any news, D-Dog ?

I'd be willing to mod my own installs if you've found a neater way to make things burn, smoke, and explode !

SC
:applause:

Devildog73
April 14th, 2010, 13:00
sc7500, I am on my laptop right now, so do not yet have access to my PC with the MB files.

I have done the mods and worked on 7-8-9 to finish them up. I am having CTD on 7 so I sent it to Rami to look at. Sometimes another set of eyes can see the minute issue that is keeping it from firing up. Once I get 7 resolved, I will fly the campaign from start to finish to make sure it is right, and then upload it. When I get to 6, I will pay attention to the fires and smoke with your mods and let you know. I also installed the volcano smoke to use. After all, Rabaul sits right next to an active volcano.

sc7500
April 14th, 2010, 13:32
Fair Enough, Sir !
SC
:kilroy: