PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I'm asking this.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 21:28
For as well as I know computers, every once in a while the newer OSs throw me for a big loop, usually when I'm trying to find a function I know exists.

Where is C:\documents and settings? How do I enable it for view if I can't see it? I used to be able to get to it.

boxcar
April 11th, 2010, 21:35
You using Vista? Windows 7?
C:\Documents and Settings folder doesn’t exist anymore in Vista or Windows 7.
It was replaced by the C:\Users & C:\ProgramData.

pilottj
April 11th, 2010, 21:36
in Win 7 go to c:\Users -> Username -> you will see the app data, desktop, downloads...etc folders

cheers
TJ

gradyhappyg
April 11th, 2010, 21:39
You have to change your folder options Via control panel/appearance and personalization/folder options/ Show hidden files and folders. At least in windows 7. I forgot how I did it in XP.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 21:41
I've got vista going.

It's here somewhere. I've been to it before.

gradyhappyg
April 11th, 2010, 21:45
You can also try the windows search and let that find it for you.
Just type in the file name you are looking for and let her rip.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 21:49
You can also try the windows search and let that find it for you.
Just type in the file name you are looking for and let her rip.

I put the whole file path in and it's not happening.

If the path didn't exist, FSX woudn't run.

boxcar
April 11th, 2010, 21:55

Need to show "Hidden Files", perhaps?

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%20Vista/Main/4/f/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.png, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK..

.................................................. .... That'll be $35

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 21:58

Need to show "Hidden Files", perhaps?

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%20Vista/Main/4/f/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.png, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
Click the View tab.
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK..

.................................................. .... That'll be $35

I don't have a 'folder options' available there, and the folder options under 'organize' is not selectable.

gradyhappyg
April 11th, 2010, 22:11
Ok now I am getting frustrated.LOL I think with Vista and don't quote me on this the folder options are in well errrrrrr.
Try Opening the control panel and in the upper right hand corner see if you have tools click that and see if it opens a folder options menu.
Thats how it worked in XP.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 22:21
Ok now I am getting frustrated.LOL I think with Vista and don't quote me on this the folder options are in well errrrrrr.
Try Opening the control panel and in the upper right hand corner see if you have tools click that and see if it opens a folder options menu.
Thats how it worked in XP.

That's not there in Vista. It's got that new control panel that's made for people who don't know what they're doing.

I just don't understand why I can't open up folder options.

Wozza
April 11th, 2010, 22:30
Hi
First up Im no vista /win7 user, but if your not logged in as administrator you wont be able to do very much.I got rid of win7 because I got fed up spending so much time looking for things (its all there just hidden ...groooan) its like you went down the pub and someone came in and remodeled your house, then tells you you cant play with your toys anymore......the older I get the less I like change for no apparent gain
Wozza

gradyhappyg
April 11th, 2010, 22:37
Ok try this http://www.vista4beginners.com/Folder-Options looks like I failed in my task to help.
Maybe this will, seems they hid folder options in Vista.

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 22:51
Ok try this http://www.vista4beginners.com/Folder-Options looks like I failed in my task to help.

haha, I don't usually use the 'help' functions, but I asked it and it told me how. The first step was 'click here' for folder options. I clicked......and nothing happened. HAHA!

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 22:55

holy cow, when I press 'alt', it's not under tools, and when I use the search function, it won't find 'folder options'. What on earth is going on?:mixedsmi:

It appears that others have had this problem since having viruses or worms, according to the link you politely provided (thank you). Even when all signs of malware are removed, the hidden files will become hidden again and there is literally no way to get at the folder options menu. I don't get it. I guess the only logical and responsible thing to do is to get an entirely new computer.

gradyhappyg
April 11th, 2010, 23:14
Bummer I do feel your pain> Been having trouble getting into some files with win7 it keeps saying access denied no matter what I try GRRRRRRR!!!! it makes me very angry indeed. Sorry I couldn't help good luck.
Now where did I put that hammer? LOL

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 23:18
Bummer I do feel your pain> Been having trouble getting into some files with win7 it keeps saying access denied no matter what I try GRRRRRRR!!!! it makes me very angry indeed. Sorry I couldn't help good luck.
Now where did I put that hammer? LOL

Thank you very much for the help you were able to provide.

Does anyone know how to fix the current problem of being unable to access folder options?

Tweek
April 12th, 2010, 02:55
Right, presumably you're trying to find the Application Data folder with the FSX config and the like?

Local Disk (C: ) > Users > [Name] > AppData (hidden folder) > Roaming (> Microsoft > FSX)

Now to view hidden files, I have a tool bar at the top (just below the search bar, etc) which doesn't really look like XPs - it contains Organize > Include in library > Share with > New Folder.

Go to: Organize > Folder and search options > View > Hidden files and folders

Hope that helps.

cheezyflier
April 12th, 2010, 06:30
help and search are (and have always been) 2 of the most useless windows features of all.
right now, even on xp, i can ask it to find folders that i know how to get to, and it won't find them.
how cool is that? i can find them, but the o/s cannot.

Wiens
April 12th, 2010, 06:30
This is for Vista to see Hidden Files and Folders:

Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools and then Folder Options, click on the View tab and click on the radio button under the Hidden Files Folder that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

I don't have FS installed on this computer so I can't help with the file path.

K

tigisfat
April 12th, 2010, 12:36
Right, presumably you're trying to find the Application Data folder with the FSX config and the like?

Local Disk (C: ) > Users > [Name] > AppData (hidden folder) > Roaming (> Microsoft > FSX)

Now to view hidden files, I have a tool bar at the top (just below the search bar, etc) which doesn't really look like XPs - it contains Organize > Include in library > Share with > New Folder.

Go to: Organize > Folder and search options > View > Hidden files and folders

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help, but like we discussed earlier, the path under orgnaize is dead.

tigisfat
April 12th, 2010, 12:38
This is for Vista to see Hidden Files and Folders:

Open Windows Explorer, click on Tools and then Folder Options, click on the View tab and click on the radio button under the Hidden Files Folder that says "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

I don't have FS installed on this computer so I can't help with the file path.

K

thanks, but that path to folder options is missing. It's just not there.

Cazzie
April 12th, 2010, 12:58
Tigs,

Rather than use the new Vista View, click Classic View and Folder Options should appear on the menu. It does on my Vista 64-bit. Double-click Folder Options and then the View Tab, scroll to the button for Show Hidden Files and click the button.

Caz

tigisfat
April 12th, 2010, 13:09
Tigs,

Rather than use the new Vista View, click Classic View and Folder Options should appear on the menu. It does on my Vista 64-bit. Double-click Folder Options and then the View Tab, scroll to the button for Show Hidden Files and click the button.

Caz

That isn't there on my control panel. I don't get it. All of these ways to get it are gone.

myles
April 12th, 2010, 14:09
Do you have an 'Organize' dropdown in Windows Explorer? If so, is there an option for 'Folder and Search Options'? That would be where you can do things like selecting single click to open files and the option to show hidden files is under the 'View' tab. Once you get that far, it's like XP.

If you've already tried that route, sorry for wasting your time, but sometimes things aren't just as obvious as they once were! :)

Myles

Tweek
April 12th, 2010, 14:46
You may want to try a virus scan, as I've had it before where the offending item has managed to remove certain parts of the menu, thus rendering it impossible to enable hidden files, and therefore manually delete the hidden files that it has created and infected your system with.

The one that I had unfortunately required a total format and reinstall, so if you do happen to have a virus, then hopefully it'll be easier to remove.

Moparmike
April 12th, 2010, 15:02
Hmmm...if you've got missing or non-functioning OS features it might be time to reload the OS.

But first, Try this....it's from 7 (I don't have a Vista rig powered up at the moment).
Open up "Computer" (the Vista/7 name of the old "My Computer") and see if you have the Folder Options under the Organize menu.

Also, what level is your UAC set to? That shouldn't be hiding your folders but should only prevent access to them without clicking through a bunch of hoops or entering an admin password.

tigisfat
April 12th, 2010, 16:01
Hmmm...if you've got missing or non-functioning OS features it might be time to reload the OS.

But first, Try this....it's from 7 (I don't have a Vista rig powered up at the moment).
Open up "Computer" (the Vista/7 name of the old "My Computer") and see if you have the Folder Options under the Organize menu.

Also, what level is your UAC set to? That shouldn't be hiding your folders but should only prevent access to them without clicking through a bunch of hoops or entering an admin password.

my User Account Control is off, like always.

That's gonna stink if I have to redo everything. I have a three year old instal of FSX with literally hundreds (if not more) of payware addons that I couldn't possible track all of the passwords to.

I may be saving my modules, simobject, gauges, effects and all of my scenery folders here shortly.

demorier
April 12th, 2010, 20:20
I use Vista to . I think it has been disabled now and resides on part of your desktop in a folder called "Documents-shortcut".

Glad I set up my own folders for specific things, there was so much piled up junk in there.

Henry
April 13th, 2010, 08:44
heres mine in vista
H