PDA

View Full Version : AFX users, quick question

MCDesigns
April 11th, 2010, 18:58
I just purchased AFX from Flight1 because I was wanting to try out the WYSIWYG editor inside FSX. I just noticed I can see no objects, such as buildings, either autogen or generic like I do with ADE. Is this option avilable with AFX or am I out of luck? This seems like it would be a key standard feature yet I can't find any reference for this, either in the utility or at the Flight1 forums, any ideas?

NoNewMessages
April 11th, 2010, 19:12
The WYSIWYG properties are with the "AFCAD" features, aprons, taxi links, runways, etc. There *may* be more to come...

MCDesigns
April 11th, 2010, 19:25
Thanks LC, guess I'll play with it some more before I decide to return it or not. I have yet to see it being more beneficial to my projects than ADE and not showing any of the buildings/objects is a big drawback in itself. I also noticed that the limit on background size is rather restrictive, bummer.

anthony31
April 11th, 2010, 21:47
I'm pretty sure AFX doesn't do buildings like ADE. It certainly didn't in V1.06 although I have just upgraded to 1.09 but it doesn't like it 1.09 does it either.

Re the image limits. I think they are more a guide as I'm sure I've used images much bigger than what AFX has said I was limited to.

Also, a tip for first time users. Go into Tools/Options and tick Disable Polygon Smoothing. THe first time I used AFX I was shocked at how slow it was but unticking polygon smoothing dramatically improved things.

JoeW
April 12th, 2010, 00:35
It's not as versatile as ADE. You can't place library objects as you can with ADE. you can do the perks and taxi's and then switch over to ADE and open the file. If you go back to AFX it will strip out all the objects.
:running:

Dain Arns
April 12th, 2010, 09:23
Mike, sorry it's not clear to me.
Are you talking about the feature of using AFX while FSX running so you can see the changes/editing in FSX?

EDIT: I'll admit I've had "my head in the sand" about the differences to AFX and ADE now. I wasn't following along.
AFX I was using mostly for quick fixes for airports I frequent.

Looking at ADE now, it appears to have passed by AFX in terms of development. I just don't see as many updates for AFX anymore.
Guess it's time to sit down and learn ADE.

n4gix
April 12th, 2010, 09:49
AFX suffers from the same defects as the last AFCAD release. Neither one is SDK compliant... :gameoff:

NoNewMessages
April 12th, 2010, 13:50
AFX suffers from the same defects as the last AFCAD release. Neither one is SDK compliant... :gameoff:
I don't really want to get into this airport tool war, but let me ask some simple questions of you, Bill. With the vast restrictions that are placed upon the code that gets processed within FSX, how is it that an AFX designed airport works in FSX? If it doesn't "comply" with the SDKs, how does it work? Have you ever decompiled an AFX airport BGL and looked at the XML? Or are you just spouting the party line given out from another one of the design tools?

Each tool does things that the other doesn't. One tool does highly complex tweaking, the other offers a more visual approach. Each serves it's users well. It's just too bad that there has to be such negativity from a certain segment of the airport designing community.