PDA

View Full Version : I saw the Shuttle and Space Station Freedom the other morning.

Lionheart
April 11th, 2010, 17:17
Hey all,

Just spent the weekend up north in the woods up in the mountains. Clean air, no clouds at night. At about 4AM roughly, I was out on the back deck, looking up at the stars. Zillions... I was sitting there thinking of things, the big picture and all, when I see a small dot making its way across the sky. I figure its a Satellite. Usually difficult for me to see them right on, normally I have to look slightly off center to see it clearly, (night vision trick). I am watching it pass over, when I notice a star 'near' it is moving also. I think, no way... Goofy things go through my mind. How can this be? The second one I almost missed and I did have to look at it off-center. Yep, the two of them were making a trek accross the early morning skies.

Found out a few hours later that it was indeed the Shuttle coming up on the station for a docking.

My first to see both in the same location.

Mind you, the thought if it possibly being the SR-71 being followed by a shiny disc sounded pretty wild.. :d

Ken Stallings
April 11th, 2010, 18:07
That's a very special personal discovery, Bill!

Ken

N2056
April 11th, 2010, 18:13
That's really cool!
Getting to see stuff like that first hand is pretty rare. I am jealous! :d

cheezyflier
April 11th, 2010, 19:42
That's a very special personal discovery, Bill!

Ken

that just doesn't sound quite right.... :icon_lol:

Lionheart
April 11th, 2010, 20:17

lolol...

It wasnt like that... no... really...

Snuffy
April 12th, 2010, 03:14
Its amazing what one can see once they get away from the light pollution of larger cities, and simply looking up.

Glad on ya Bill ... especially for someone whose as into space stuff as you appear to be. :applause:

kilo delta
April 12th, 2010, 08:42
I saw them last year as they passed over Ireland....perfect viewing weather too,which is rare here!! ;)

Motormouse
April 12th, 2010, 08:56
Its amazing what one can see once they get away from the light pollution of larger cities, and simply looking up.

Glad on ya Bill ... especially for someone whose as into space stuff as you appear to be. :applause:

click here ---> http://www.heavens-above.com/

you can get accurate 'pass' details for the space station and other observable items
depending on where you are in the world.

ttfn

Pete

Ken Stallings
April 12th, 2010, 16:17

Officer, I swear! I've never seen this man before in my life! :icon_lol:

Ken

Lionheart
April 12th, 2010, 16:36
Thanks Pete for the link. I'll have to remember that next time Im up North.

I just still cant believe how many stars are up there. I was getting the chills just looking at one part of the sky. Immense cannot come close to describing it.

Could you imagine being in a space suit, away from the planets, looking around, with all those stars surrounding you in all directions?

Bill

Bjoern
April 12th, 2010, 17:46
Coolio!

Last time I've seen the ISS was...ages ago.

Space Station Freedom

Are you stuck in the 80s? :icon_lol: