PDA

View Full Version : Best Scenery Settings for FSX?

wildcat400
November 9th, 2008, 15:36
I am all about scenery and detail of aircraft for FSX.
Right now my settings are:

Display settings:
Graphics: Custom
Aircraft: Ultra High
Scenery: Custom
Weather: High
Trafic: Low

Scenery Settings:
Level Of detail radius: Large
Mesh Complexity: 64
Mesh Resolution: 10m
Texture Resolution: 7cm
Water Effects: High 2.x
Land detail textures box is checked

Scenery Complexity: Extremely Dense
Autogen Density: Dense
Ground Scenery Shadows: Box is unchecked
Special Effects detail: High

What do you guys think? Are my settings good? My goal is that the higher up I go the better the ground scenery will look.

MCDesigns
November 9th, 2008, 15:54
Really depends on what "you" think of the visuals and what your system specs are. Personally I crank everything up and then adjust down till my performance is where it needs to be with a default aircraft and I am happy with the visuals and then I leave it there.

Basically I have everything maxed except, autogen at normal, water high 2x, no bloom, mesh compl 70, mesh res 10, texture res 7 cm.
ships n ferries at 100% and road traffic at 30%.

Frames locked at 30 and as long as I stay out of big cities, I get 20-30 most of the time without real weather.

wildcat400
November 9th, 2008, 17:22
Hi Michael,
So real world weather slows down the frame rates? I did not know that. I have my frame rates set at "unlimited" now. Is that a good choice to have them set at?

Suppose I should have specified what I have:

9600GT Nvidia video card
my monitor can handle 1680x1050
pc specs: 8400 Triple Processor

MCDesigns
November 9th, 2008, 17:42
Hi Tony, real weather does tend to eat up resources. keep in mind, anything that has to be calculated and the more objects you have on the screen in front of you, the more it slows the experience. hence, calculating the real world weather data into FS info and displaying the many different layers of clouds takes a lot of resources.

As for frames at unlimited, that is user specific as to what is best. I get slight stutters at unlimited and none locked at 30.

best bet, play with what you have and find the best balance, that is part of the fun of FS, LOL :d

wildcat400
November 9th, 2008, 17:55
Hi Tony, real weather does tend to eat up resources. keep in mind, anything that has to be calculated and the more objects you have on the screen in front of you, the more it slows the experience. hence, calculating the real world weather data into FS info and displaying the many different layers of clouds takes a lot of resources.

As for frames at unlimited, that is user specific as to what is best. I get slight stutters at unlimited and none locked at 30.

best bet, play with what you have and find the best balance, that is part of the fun of FS, LOL :d
I am so glad that I found this site!! I will indeed tinker with what I have!
Thanks again!!! :ernae:

JT8D-9A
November 10th, 2008, 06:07
"Light Bloom", "Aircraft casts shadows on itself", "Special Effects detail @High" and "water effects 2.x high" are settings i can only use in DX10 mode.

In DX9 mode i disable Bloom and aircraft casts shadows on itself.
I'm very happy with:

Level Of detail radius: Large
Mesh Complexity: 95
Mesh Resolution: normally 38m but for areas where i have a better Mesh i use 10m
Texture Resolution: normally 1m but for certain sceneries 7cm
Water Effects: Low 2.x (High only in DX10 mode)
Land detail textures box is checked

Scenery Complexity: Dense
Autogen Density: Dense
Ground Scenery Shadows: unchecked
Special Effects detail: Medium

Weather:
Cloud draw distance: 60mi
Thermal visualization: none
Download winds aloft... checked
Detailed clouds.. checked
Cloud coverage density: Maximum

Traffic:
In DX9 mode i use:
Airliner 100% (i'm using WOAI, RATS and MAIW with reduced textures).
GA 15%

Airport vehicles: normally none.
Road vehicles 0%
ships and ferries 20%
Leisure boats 20%

In DX10 mode i use:
Airliner 0%
GA 1% (only my own GA traffic like e.g. for Plum Island)

Airport vehicles: none.
Road vehicles 40%
ships and ferries 40%
Leisure boats 40%

That's far more than FS9 could offer and it's smooth on my system with real world weather (with ASX is running networked on my laptop). I also don't use "tweaks" or try to force AA or AF via tools like nhancer.

wildcat400
November 10th, 2008, 07:03
DirectX 10 makes ALL of my aircraft exteriors grey. I have since disabled directX 10 and don't plan on going back to it.

I will try your settings and see what I get. :ernae: