PDA

View Full Version : OK Boys, Which Joystick (for VRS F/A18)

dougal
April 11th, 2010, 05:50
I only have CH Yoke & Pedals, as I fly mostly GA & Tubeliners.

Although I still can't get the VRS bird to work on my PC, it's obvious I need a half decent joystick.

I've looked on Amazon and there are dozens, from less than £10 to over £200.

Can you guys give me any advice & recommendations please?

I don't really wanna spend more than around £80 (about $120 i think)

Any help MUCH appreciated - i'm just 'bamboozled' by them all.

Thanks

Roadburner440
April 11th, 2010, 06:04
I use the Saitek X52 and Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. I think for under $100 that is probably the best joystick there is. With almost 1,000 hours logged on it without breaking down I think it is a solid investment. I had a Microsoft Sidewinder stick before that (for FS2002 & FS2004), but it didn't have anywhere near the amount of buttons/switches this thing does. Had it since about 2007 so that should give you an idea of longevity/usage wise.

SirBenn21
April 11th, 2010, 06:08
If you don't mind using ebay you can get the Saitek X52 Advanced PC Flight Stick Control System for the price range you looking at.

http://bluefieldpartners.net/images/shared/T52516.jpg

I got the Pro Version and use it every day.

http://content.etilize.com/500/1013220318.jpg

Maybe if you look around or are willing to spend just a little more. I'd go X52 Pro.

Ben

dougal
April 11th, 2010, 06:53
Thanks guys

What I'd like to do is keep my CH Yoke in place, as I have a special cut-out in the desk to take it. That means there's not a lot of space left for both a mouse AND a joystick.

That X52 looks like a smallish base - what size is it?

Thanks

2Low
April 11th, 2010, 08:31
6 3/4 by 6 3/4 inches

wiltzei
April 11th, 2010, 08:39
I´d get the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 anytime, if possible, because it offers great force feedback effects when using the FSForce 2 addon.

I love the Saitek throttles, tough, I´ve got an old X35T throttle.

Timm
April 11th, 2010, 09:03
Hi,
I am using the Logitech G940 stick and will be boxing up shortly until logitech bring out some descent software the software for the G940 is very poor a very big mistake in getting it. I had a X52 Pro prior to the G940 and had a setup for every type of aircraft from Heli's , Small Prop to jet fighters and worked great, then came along the G940 and thought hey that looks cool and should fit in nicely how wrong could I have been. So being an EX Saitek X52 Pro user before I will be going back and would thoroughly recommend it. Timm

EgoR64
April 11th, 2010, 09:08
I Have the X52 Saitek - Good Stick, has lasted well over a Year now but bulky, Sometimes using it and the keyboard can be a challenge -

I have tried the CyborgX, Small nice little unit, but first one was broken, second one, stopped turning left after about 3-months, Little flaky -

Have not tried the force feedback but heard good things -

I see that the X65 is out, looks pretty cool but for over $350.00, Dats a little stiff, you might as well build your own pit for that price -

Cheers -

dougal
April 11th, 2010, 12:58
Thanks guys, some great info there.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the X52 WITHOUT the throttle? I already have throttles.

crazysundog
April 11th, 2010, 13:24
I´d get the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 anytime, if possible, because it offers great force feedback effects when using the FSForce 2 addon.

I love the Saitek throttles, tough, I´ve got an old X35T throttle.

+1 :salute:

I picked up a Microsoft Forcefeedback2 off craigslist for $15, and also a CH Combatstick from Ebay for ~ $40....I mated the two to make an awesome FFB stick...and use an old X52 throttle. I use FSForce2 for force feedback profiling, ($40) so the whole setup cost a little more than a new X52, but waaaaaaay better!!

dougal
April 11th, 2010, 13:25
Sorry folks... One more question...

Although i've been to the Saitek site and read-up, it doesn't really help...

Do I need the 'Pro' version for FSX - will I actually miss much foe FSX by being a cheapskate and going with the std X52?

Thanks for input

SirBenn21
April 11th, 2010, 14:46
Sorry folks... One more question...

Although i've been to the Saitek site and read-up, it doesn't really help...

Do I need the 'Pro' version for FSX - will I actually miss much foe FSX by being a cheapskate and going with the std X52?

Thanks for input

You will not miss that much. And no you can't get the Stick separate from the thottle.

Ben

Scratch
April 11th, 2010, 15:15
Thanks guys

What I'd like to do is keep my CH Yoke in place, as I have a special cut-out in the desk to take it. That means there's not a lot of space left for both a mouse AND a joystick.

That X52 looks like a smallish base - what size is it?

Thanks

I also have the CH yoke and pedals. When using my joystick I have to unplug my yoke because the two conflict with each other causing random control inputs that make it hard to fly smoothly.

Rezabrya
April 11th, 2010, 15:39
Ok guys, should I go for the X-52 regular, X-52 Pro, or G940 or something else? I fly pretty much all kinds of planes including jets, GA, tubes, warbirds, and helo's. I kind of want rudder pedals but a good joystick and throttle are my first priority.

warchild
April 11th, 2010, 16:07
ok.. i use an X-52. i also sit in a recliner with end tables on each side to support the joystick. i used the X-52 Pro for about three years and during that time, dropped it, kicked it, knocked it on the floor and spilled coffee on it.. it never failed me.. Now, i have the X-52 and i came to realize i didnt need 123 seperate function buttons ( via programming ). The X-52 standard ( whicj i think you can find for about 80 bucks but dont quote me ), is more than enough. it uses the same technology as the pro, and only has a different color and fewer programmable functions ( theres only 60 or so ). Now, you folks fly my planes sometimes even before someone alters the flight model, and frankly, i couldnt do what i do without that joystick. The X-52 standard model is as good as it gets in performance. everything else above and beyond that, is all just icing for the gadget inclined..

hammer353
April 11th, 2010, 18:55
I own the X52, and love it.

Roadburner440
April 11th, 2010, 19:59
I just have the Saitek X52 standard. When I bought mine they didn't have the pro version at that time. To me it looks like they just changed the color of the stick and the screen. Perfectly happy with my standard model.

MenendezDiego
April 11th, 2010, 20:17
...thrustmaster hotas cougar...if you can wait long enough, hotas warthog

CheckSix
April 12th, 2010, 00:10
Always been a Thrustmaster / Saitek man myself.

Tried the Logitech G940 after a tip off from a friend and TBO I am blown away. Yes I had the same old same old throttle issue that everyone else complained about and found it very frustrating but after reading the Support forums the solution was there and a very simple slider fix within FSX / FS2004.

It's simply a wonderful stick, why folk are still baulking at it I don't know but for me the Stick is simply superb, can't fault it... Best rudder pedals I have used... Superb value for money.

Failing that I would recommend the Saitek X52 Pro.

warchild
April 12th, 2010, 03:36

Tried the Logitech G940 after a tip off from a friend and TBO I am blown away. Yes I had the same old same old throttle issue that everyone else complained about and found it very frustrating but after reading the Support forums the solution was there and a very simple slider fix within FSX / FS2004.

It's simply a wonderful stick, why folk are still baulking at it I don't know but for me the Stick is simply superb, can't fault it... Best rudder pedals I have used... Superb value for money.

Welll, when i replaced my X-52 pro i considered the G940, but frankly, the price is way outta the ball park there..

CheckSix
April 12th, 2010, 03:49
The price is comparable, give or take literally a couple of bucks, to the X52 Pro with pedals which you have to buy seperately. with the G940 one gets the stick, throttle and pedals all in one package. This is all subject to where you buy the products from of course. This hobby isn't cheap thats for sure.

trisager
April 12th, 2010, 05:10
I bought the Saitek X52 Pro to replace my old Logitech joystick. I already have a CH throttle quadrant, so I thought that I could simply use the Saitek joystick and just connect the throttle when flying single engine jets, but as it turned out the joystick connects to the base of the throttle (which in turn connects to a USB port) so the Saitek throttle has to be connected at all times. It may be possible to connect the joystick directly to USB using a converter of some kind, I don't know.

The joystick is really good, no complaints there. With regards to the throttle, I'm not so impressed. Several buttons and part of the throttle range itself stopped working shortly after I got it. I had a look inside and reseated a couple of connectors - it is very flimsy stuff, and I suspect the wires may easily fray if I use the throttle much. The connector on the base of the throttle where the joystick connects is somewhat loose, and I frequently need to push the cable back in after moving stuff on my desk to get my joystick working again.

Another problem I've noticed is that some of the LEDs on the Joystick only work occasionally. This may be caused by insufficient power coming from the USB port - I turn them off in the driver, anyway, so not really an issue for me, but if you like looking at colored lights this is something to look out for.

Alan_A
April 12th, 2010, 08:19

I'll vote for the Logitech G940.

Am finding it's best used in combination with FS Force (http://www.fs-force.com/) - the two together make for a great experience.

Rezabrya
April 12th, 2010, 08:38
Well I am narrowed down to either the X52 Pro with the Saitek Rudder pedals, or the G940. Force Feedback is really not a big deal to me so unless they G940 has other stuff going for it, I think I will save the 40 bucks and go for the X52 Pro. What do you think?

Alan_A
April 12th, 2010, 10:21
I used the standard X52 for years before I picked up the G940 and it's a great joystick - hard to go wrong with it. The only other advantage of the G940 is the split throttle, if that matters to you. But you'd need to use it with force feedback - without it, there's no centering and no resistance, so it feel sloppy. FS Force is a world apart from default FSX force feedback, so that's really a must for the G940. But again, you'll do great with the X52, so no need to hesitate.

SirBenn21
April 12th, 2010, 19:40
Been thinking of getting this

But it's hell-of-a pricy! I read the review at FlightSim.COM and it gets a BIG thumbs up.

Anyone had a go with it yet? :wiggle:

Ben