PDA

View Full Version : Been quiet in here

gigabyte
April 10th, 2010, 08:24
Well I am finishing off my new gamimg rig today and right after I get FSX running I am goign to fire up X3 so I will be posting some new adventures in here soon enough. I hope the old gang is still patroling the star systems to watch my back?

whitehawk_2009
April 11th, 2010, 06:38
Has been awfully quiet in these parts. I'm finishing up the HUB plot so I can get to the PHQ plot.

WH

gigabyte
April 11th, 2010, 14:52
I just finished reinstalling X3 and FSX, I still have some config work to do with the keyboard and Joystick, but I hope to be kicking some butt tonight or tomorrow :)

GT182
April 11th, 2010, 16:04
I'm still waiting for that patch to get finsihed. My game still hangs up so bad after I go thru a Gate into the Terran sector I can't play at all. Everything seems to be ok with my computer, it's just X3TC/AMS throwing one big fit.

gigabyte
April 11th, 2010, 17:21
I'm still waiting for that patch to get finsihed. My game still hangs up so bad after I go thru a Gate into the Terran sector I can't play at all. Everything seems to be ok with my computer, it's just X3TC/AMS throwing one big fit.

GT are you getting the hang only with AMS? I have had that on my system since I got the Terran Conflict version and have never had a problem, I don't recall seeing any other users posting about problems after using gates to the Terran Sectors, but we might be looking in different forums?

Can you describe the symptoms and exactally what happens, I really suspect it is something that can be configured, to resolve the hang?

Lionheart
April 11th, 2010, 17:38
Sorry Gary you are still having problems with it.

Congrats Mike on the new rig! woo hooooo!

Man, I have had so much going on, I havent been up at all in a very long time..

Time to fire up my Beta squadron of Nemesis' and go hunting for Q's!

Bill

GT182
April 11th, 2010, 19:10
Can you describe the symptoms and exactally what happens, I really suspect it is something that can be configured, to resolve the hang?

Mike, everything just stops. Can't turn or accelerate my ship. The side bar on the left and the bottom that shows your speed just disappear. They'll both come back but only for a split second and then they're both gone again. if you keep waithing they'll come back in about 4 minutes and then gone again. As long as I don't travel thru the gate it's not quite as bad... but still does the same thing.

I did notice tho that when I get thru the gate to the mars sector, there is a huge ship trying to pass thru to Heritic's End.... or it's just sitting there in the gate. Hard to tell tho with the game hanging up.

I haven't played in about 3 weeks and I'm going thru withdrawl. LOL This storyline is getting real interesting and I've got to see where it's leading to.

I wonder if the ships I've salvaged and sent to docks to sell or repair might have something to do with all this? I do have quite a few on the move..... and a couple are being attacked.

Marlin
April 14th, 2010, 22:52
my computer won't turn on any more, soooo, no nothing.

I was going to order parts tomorrow, but a bail situation came up, soooooo I have no idea when I'll be able to get back online.

Wish me luck and send up a prayer if ya would.

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 00:25
Hey Marlin,

Prayers sent man. Sorry to hear about your computer.

What do you need, do you know yet? Have you checked the capacitors on the motherboard? If that is fine, then maybe you just need a power convertor or something.

Check all the possibilities. What if its the power strip or something un-obvious.

I hope you get back online soon man.

Bill

Marlin
April 15th, 2010, 14:52
Thanks Bill.

We are going to get a new mother board and processor. I'm going to reuse the RAM (ddr2) Also in order to keep from loosing the info on my C drive we are going to put in a new hard drive for a fresh XP install. Then just for kickers, there is going to be a new Vid card.

The real bummer is that we are on a very strict diet (only $400 ) to work with. Otherwise we would be getting the newer ddr3 stuff.

But at the end of this long process I'll still have a computer that is over two to five times better than what I had when it was working.:)

I have already anticipated the new parts and at Christmas we put in a new power supply.

It will be nice to be able to fire up FSX again. If you have noticed my posts in this part of the site, I started to play X3 mostly because my USB ports quit working. It is really weird to watch a computer go into the self destruct mode :pop4:

Hopefully if all goes well, a order will be coming in from Newegg in a week or so, or something like that. It is going to be nice to sit in my own chair and at least surf the net again.

Thanks again Bill

gigabyte
April 23rd, 2010, 16:56
Mike, everything just stops. Can't turn or accelerate my ship. The side bar on the left and the bottom that shows your speed just disappear. They'll both come back but only for a split second and then they're both gone again. if you keep waithing they'll come back in about 4 minutes and then gone again. As long as I don't travel thru the gate it's not quite as bad... but still does the same thing.

I did notice tho that when I get thru the gate to the mars sector, there is a huge ship trying to pass thru to Heritic's End.... or it's just sitting there in the gate. Hard to tell tho with the game hanging up.

I haven't played in about 3 weeks and I'm going thru withdrawl. LOL This storyline is getting real interesting and I've got to see where it's leading to.

I wonder if the ships I've salvaged and sent to docks to sell or repair might have something to do with all this? I do have quite a few on the move..... and a couple are being attacked.

GT this does really sound like you are pushing the limit on Personal Property, I had the exact same problem before my restart with this new rig, I had over 120 ships and I was running into problems in 2 sectors, I had stations in both and over 40 ships in each. The game turned into a slide show any time I neared any of my stations in either sector, and the 4 minute mark was just about the same for me.

I finally went on a liquidation binge, and got rid of everything that did not have immidate use, most were claimed ships I was fixing up so I had planned to sell most of them anyway. I also had 12-15 freighters trading on their own which made me lots of coin but I think it was just a little too much. Once I cleared up all my surplus ships from the fleet, I noticed a big improvement in performance, it was still problematic but for the most part playable. I suspect I could have got back to an almost studder free game if I had finished the liquidation, however I got the new rig and started fresh.

On other tip I found helped with X3 and would likely help for FSX as well, I se the swap file to 2.5 times the value of my RAM, that alone made a difference not huge but noticable. If you are not up on the process of modifying the Seap File let me know I can do you up a little Cheat Sheet, it is a fairly simple process.

GT182
April 23rd, 2010, 19:07
Thaniks on that Mike. I've been thinking about that very same thing off and on for a couple of weeks. Looks like a liquidation sale will be in the works for me too very soon.

I've been having trouple this past week with my 5 year old MX 1000 Laser mouse. I went out tonight to CompUSA and bought a new Logitech Performance Mouse MX. Very nice rechargeable mouse. No cradle tho, only a little USB plug for the signal. Just plug in the charging cord and let it sit. Even has teflon pads for it's feet... they won't wear out. You can even replace the NiCad battery if it craps out. Best mouse Logitech has come out with so far.

gigabyte
April 24th, 2010, 02:27
I think you will find a difference when you thin out your fleet, I did also notice when I had any nore than 10-12 freighters trading I took some sperformance hits as well,especially if I have them set to report every completed job. I am not having much problem yet with the new rig, but with 12 gig of RAM I shouldn't ...lol

I see you are a Logitech Fan to, man I am so with you on their products, I have at least 10 Logitech Keyboards, and I am not sure how many mice. I have been using the MX Revoloution on my main system for almost 5 years now and I love the thing, I actually picked up a second one last year as a spare just incase and it is still in the box but I will need it soon this one is pretty much worn out. I also have a pair of LX700 Keyboards which are my all time favorites, the main one is 8 years old now and most of the letters are worn off the keys but it works great. I wish they made a newer model with the mouse scroll buttons and extra enter key on the left side of the KB, but there has been nothing in their line now for several years that has the same buttons as this KB so I will keep it until it falls apart.

GT182
April 24th, 2010, 12:13
Yeah I like the Logitech Lazer mice. This new one, tho expensive, is a treat.

A tip on how to save your letters on the keys...... clear nail polish. Works like a charm. :d I've done that on mine but forgot to do it on my Saitek illuminated keyboard. Always said tomorrow but you know how that is. :icon_lol: Next one will get the treatment as soon as it comes out of the box. I've been looking at Logitech's newest illuminated keyboard and it's next on my list to get.