PDA

View Full Version : Do aircraft batteries drain in FSX?

tigisfat
April 9th, 2010, 20:53
Something I noticed a long time ago. If I were to do an auto shutdown on an aircraft, park it and head out for lunch while leacing FSX up and running, when I come back, It won't start up. However, if I do a full manual shutdown, with batteries being the last step, it will start back up again. Auto shutdowns don't turn the batteries off. Further, if I leave a landing light or something electrical on, the time in which I can start it up again appears to be reduced. I've come to assume that it's because the batteries wear down.

Can anyone with specific knowledge of the function, maybe a coder or someone lend any legitimacy to this theory?

SirBenn21
April 9th, 2010, 21:04
I think it's only modeled properly in add-on's like A2A Accusim and PMDG and I sure a few others. I don't think it works on the default FSX Aircraft.

By the way your avatar freaks me out! I hate it. LOL

Ben

Willy
April 9th, 2010, 21:10
That's pretty much how it works in FS9 including the default aircraft. Unless the electricity is always on is turned on in the aircraft.cfg electrical section. I'd assume that FSX would have the same feature.

Mathias
April 9th, 2010, 22:40
Yes, it works on all aircraft including the stockers.
There's a dedicated electrical section in the aircraft cfg.

spotlope
April 9th, 2010, 22:43
Most batteries drain far too quickly in FSX, though. If you've got the registered version of FSUIPC, there's a switch in it that disables battery drain.

tigisfat
April 9th, 2010, 22:57
cool!! thanks guys.

Ken Stallings
April 10th, 2010, 12:14
Most batteries drain far too quickly in FSX, though. If you've got the registered version of FSUIPC, there's a switch in it that disables battery drain.

That is too true!

Sometimes, I am doing cockpit familiarization and even though I only take 15 minutes with the battery on, there isn't enough power left to start the engine! That's pure bunk for real aircraft, unless you've negligently avoided caring for your battery or replacing it at regular intervals.

Cheers,

Ken

Snave
April 10th, 2010, 12:41
Yes, it's one of the pervading errors through the last three versions of FS that were never fixed. The depletion rate of the battery in default conditions is simply untenable. One of the major arguments to using the full FSUIPC is to allow adjustment to battery depletion generically to fix this foible, and FSUIPC does NOT merely eliminate battery drain (although you can choose that if you want) it allows the user to set a parameter that suits, so you can set it to last `four times` as long if that suits your needs better - say while you do a walkround and check lights and powered components.
As such, outside of Accusim which carries its own complete electrical section custom-programmed, it represents the best way to be able to replicate real-world procedures.

Kavehpd
April 10th, 2010, 12:51
electric_always_available set to 1 if electric power is available regardless of the state of the battery or circuit (default is set to 0). Has been in the SDK since FS2K.

fsafranek
April 10th, 2010, 13:05
By the way your avatar freaks me out! I hate it. LOL
Same here although it's not quite as bad now that I know somone else feels the same.
:ernae:

Wozza
April 10th, 2010, 22:58
Hi
Just a bit more info to add to the above :)
In fs9 and fsx a flat batt is around 6.4volts for 12 v system and 16ish volts for a 24 volt system
Anything in the electrical section of the aircraft .cfg set to a min volt of say 5(for a 12 volt system) will always remain on.
You can alter how fast a system drains by altering the max amps each component uses in any electrical system that uses the batt buss
Wozza

tigisfat
April 10th, 2010, 23:06
Same here although it's not quite as bad now that I know somone else feels the same.
:ernae:
I fixed it guys.

robcap
April 11th, 2010, 00:42
I fixed it guys.Much better Tig.

stansdds
April 11th, 2010, 04:12
A slower drain rate would be good, but M$ chose to stick with a fast drain rate. Starting up something like Piglet's Skyraider or Wozza's T6 takes time, if you do it by the book.

robcap
April 11th, 2010, 04:48
Much better Tig.
Hey, you fixed it again....Is that you?

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 13:01
Hey, you fixed it again....Is that you?

nope. Check out his rank and name closely!

N2056
April 11th, 2010, 13:10
:icon_lol: Good one! :ernae: