PDA

View Full Version : FSX ATC "Radar Contact"

Pepere
April 8th, 2010, 17:24
Hi all - ATC for FSX is the pits at times. I was wondering if this program "Radar Contact" does all that it says it does (does it acturally work) and if it effects the FPS. My system is a little old!

http://www.jdtllc.com/products.htm

Thanks.

David

JSkorna
April 8th, 2010, 17:29
Hi,

Yes, it does work well.

No, it should not cause a FSP hit.

Bjoern
April 10th, 2010, 13:33
I have it and I like it. If you like flying airliners, it's almost a mandatory add-on.

tigisfat
April 10th, 2010, 15:19
I've heard that the features are everything you could ever want, but voices are bad. Is this true?

EgoR64
April 10th, 2010, 15:25
I have it and like it - is good when flying the airliners with lots O traffic, I was thinking about using it with IYP(Its your Plane) - They look pretty cool together -

Cheers -

gecko65
April 10th, 2010, 15:47
I've heard that the features are everything you could ever want, but voices are bad. Is this true?

IMHO - yes.

The other thing I haven't figured out yet is the wind call before landing. Tower will call cleared to land and say winds calm. If you then ask for a wind check, Tower will call the correct winds.

But - it offers a more complex and accurate portrayal of ATC overall than does the default.

tigisfat
April 10th, 2010, 17:40
What about emergencies?

What new options are there?

dougal
April 11th, 2010, 00:54
Much as I like Radar Contact, I actually prefer Proflight Emulator. Mostly because of the wonderful assortment of language accents depending on where you fly.

Anneke
April 11th, 2010, 02:35
MeatWater Radar Contact 4 VocPack by Nick Schreger. As he says himself:

Being a permanent user of RC4 I always felt that the only real downside were the voices which did not really sound like real ATC. The sheer amount of single files (more than 80.000!) always kept me from working on them, but then I found a way to batch process them, which took a lot of workload from me. However, due to the nature of these files and because almost every different voice set had a different "base-sound" as well, it was still required to fine tune the parameters for every single voice set, which turned out to be a lot more work than expected/feared. Once started I didn't want to give up half way down the road, so after many hours I finally had a complete set with a more than satisfying result. By installing these remastered voice sets (not only the default ones but also many custom sets!), ATC will now sound almost as the pre-recorded, real chatter files, meaning that you will have to listen much more carefully now in order to hear messages that are directed to you. All voices now feature a "real" ATC sound, making RC4 immersive as never before.On avsim.

Pepere
April 11th, 2010, 10:12
I read this review: http://www.fsstation.com/reviews/radarcontact.html but it was written back in 2006. Does radar contact now help with getting to your runway for takeoff and to your gate/parking after end of flight?

thanks

David

Paul_Yorks
April 11th, 2010, 10:30
I read this review: http://www.fsstation.com/reviews/radarcontact.html but it was written back in 2006. Does radar contact now help with getting to your runway for takeoff and to your gate/parking after end of flight?

thanks

David

Nope, it won't at present do ground handling - hope to see that in v.5.

With airport chart now a freebie, I find this no issue.

And would also agree with those above who say how much nicer RC4 is than default ATC. No more silly 20nm diverts to establish a course to destination (with 30 handoffs between the same couple of controllers!) - and the ability to ask for short final can save frustration.

The voices are much better with the free download voicepack also mentioned above. A gig or more, but well worth it.

And it's nice to insist on a runway for landing - whether because the winds suggest it, or because you just need to land and hit the pub.

Downsides: no ground handling, and no ability to call up ATC in-flight. Unless you set up RC4 at the outset, you won't be using it for that flight (that's the only time I tend to use the default).

tigisfat
April 11th, 2010, 12:55
.......and no ability to call up ATC in-flight.....

What do you mean by that?

thetford569
April 11th, 2010, 14:00
Does it interact with your installed ai aircraft?

Brandon

Bjoern
April 12th, 2010, 16:37
No more silly 20nm diverts to establish a course to destination (with 30 handoffs between the same couple of controllers!) - and the ability to ask for short final can save frustration.

...but the holding patterns are an effin' NIGHTMARE.

ATC just sends me into hold and the completely ignores me. *Grr*

Does it interact with your installed ai aircraft?

Yep. It even deviates them to avoid dangerous "TRAFFIC ALERT" situations.

All traffic calls you will get are for planes that are a comfortable distance away.

Pepere
April 12th, 2010, 18:49
Nope, it won't at present do ground handling - hope to see that in v.5.

When is V.5 due out?

David