PDA

View Full Version : Apple to release iPhone OS 4.0 in Summer; iPad OS 4.0 in Fall

Lionheart
April 8th, 2010, 13:29
Hey all,

For those that have Apple iPod Touch, and iPhone, we have a new update on the way, OS 4.0.

One of the new main features of the OS will be multiple programs management. You will now be able to run more then one program at a time on these.

Now, here is my own two cents on this. I think its not needed. For one, it already does multi-tasking via the phone. While on the phone, you can access and run other programs (Apps). But if you run say 2 or 3 Apps at once, how do you 'run' them? You have one screen. How do you 'input' and operate 3 programs at once?

I guess I have fallen into the 'simplicity' track and see the beauty of it.

Another thing I can see that might be a bad side of this is RAM or system requirements. Running only one App runs FAST and Smooooooooooth on an iPhone/iPod device. But if you run say 3 sophisticated Apps on these, will that not bring down performance quite a bit? I hate to see Apple make a decision that might bite back later. I hope this will work ok for them. (This will effect me as well and man, I like high performance).

Anyways, not to sound negative, this is a positive announcement. 100 New updates to be in the new 4.0 release.

EDIT: Maybe the background applications will 'pause' thus cutting down on use of system resources... I didnt think about that. Thus if you are running a game, get a phone call, answer it, need to look up a restaurant for your sister, open another App for finding restaurants, locate, open another app for maps, find that, tell her, then hang up, go back to your game, unpause, and continue....

Bill

tigisfat
April 8th, 2010, 13:58
EDIT: Maybe the background applications will 'pause' thus cutting down on use of system resources... I didnt think about that. Thus if you are running a game, get a phone call, answer it, need to look up a restaurant for your sister, open another App for finding restaurants, locate, open another app for maps, find that, tell her, then hang up, go back to your game, unpause, and continue....

Bill

They already pause for phone calls and texts. I don't know anything about pausing more than one app or two though. I know that if you leave an infinite number of apps for an infinite number of apps, it does almost always save what you were doing.

Wittpilot
April 8th, 2010, 16:26
Bill,

The only thing I could think of that I would like to see about running more than one program at a time would be two things...

-For more than one webpage to load at a time... say you might not see both screens at the same time, but maybe another screen that you cannot see, could still be loading as you look at another..
-I wish youtube would run the audio sometimes in the background. I often listen to stuff, but occaisonlly would like to maybe text or email someone, but doing so means closing out of youtube.

Just a thought

Wing_Z
April 8th, 2010, 17:43
... Thus if you are running a game, get a phone call, answer it, need to look up a restaurant for your sister, open another App for finding restaurants, locate, open another app for maps, find that, tell her, then hang up, go back to your game, unpause, and continue....Bill

I just wonder: who's driving the car while all this is going on? :d

See this week's TIME magazine positively drools about Apple in general, and the iPad in particular...
Looks like the print media are about to take the jump into online pay-for-your-news.

AckAck
April 8th, 2010, 19:00

no need to do all that - just tell her to get her own damn iPhone and stop bothering you... Hold on, my Droid's ringing...

Brian

tigisfat
April 8th, 2010, 19:09
-For more than one webpage to load at a time... say you might not see both screens at the same time, but maybe another screen that you cannot see, could still be loading as you look at another..Your iphone already does that. Most people don't use half of their features.

-I wish youtube would run the audio sometimes in the background. I often listen to stuff, but occaisonlly would like to maybe text or email someone, but doing so means closing out of youtube.

Just a thoughtThat'd be cool, but there are apps that do that.

Lionheart
April 8th, 2010, 19:28
Bill,

The only thing I could think of that I would like to see about running more than one program at a time would be two things...

-For more than one webpage to load at a time... say you might not see both screens at the same time, but maybe another screen that you cannot see, could still be loading as you look at another..

Just a thought

I didnt think of that either Witt.

It will be interesting to see what all is modified in the new OS.

Bill

Lionheart
April 8th, 2010, 19:29

Smart people dont read stuff and drive at the same time. Thankfully I am one of those.

Bill

MCDesigns
April 8th, 2010, 20:14
Smart people dont read stuff and drive at the same time. Thankfully I am one of those.

Bill

Most shouldn't talk when driving either. I watched a lady hit a guys bumper just yesterday because she was on her phone. When she got out to check the damage, I let her have it! :rocket:

Lionheart
April 9th, 2010, 01:58
I remember being down in my Q, in a parking lot, at a basic stop sign intersection (super mall) and a lady turning into my direction, ever so slowly, while talking on her phone, trying to turn her gigantic mega-scale Ford SUV, kept coming closer, and closer, and closer to my fender. I was horrified and quickly jammed it into reverse and was backing out of the way, and she just kept talking on the phone.... She was on another world.. Eyes working but couldnt see anything, hearing focussed on the phone. 'What car? I didnt hit no car? your nuts....'

Talk about graying eyebrows 'instantly'....

Lionheart
April 9th, 2010, 13:31
Supposedly the 'Book store' will be available to iPhone / iPod Touch also.

Which reminds me. I just picked up the Audio book by Richard Branson; Business Stripped Bare. Great book. I highly recommend it if you are into audio books. Great for listening to when you are working on the computer or cant sleep.

Bill