PDA

View Full Version : F1: No standard engine.

Ferry_vO
November 9th, 2008, 13:16
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/report-fota-to-agree-to-low-cost-f1-engine-proposal/

"Formula 1 team bosses this week have been meeting for more discussions about future rules. The chief motivation of the London meeting is believed to have been efforts to stave off the threat of standard engines in 2010.

According to British newspaper The Guardian, FOTA, the alliance of the 10 F1 teams, is willing to agree to the FIA's counterproposal that manufacturers make customer engines available to privateers for no more than 5 million euros ($6.4m) per season.

"This was a figure that we have targeted as being part of our objective," McLaren's Ron Dennis said.

With the lower-cost engines for 2010 combined with the extension of engine <NOBR>life </NOBR>next year from two to three races, FOTA is hopeful the FIA will be satisfied with the sport's cost-cutting agenda.

"This is a first package of proposals, voted unanimously, which will bring important cost reductions," Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, the FOTA chairman, told Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport."

Sunny9850
November 13th, 2008, 18:10
It is bad enough that the ECU is a standardized package now. IF FIA really pushed through the standard engine...no matter what manufacture...my days of watching and caring about F1 would be over.

I really don't care how much money the teams spend. F1 has always been the ultimate in technological development put on a race track.
The ban of technology as in the case of the advanced hydro-pneumatic suspension was acceptable because it simply put would have needed a better human to be safe.

Anything else...let them build it and bring it to the track and race.
And while I am at it, the winner of the majority of the races should at the very least have an advantage over the guy that came second all or the most of them.
If I want endurance I have the 24h and 1000km races ...now I am off my soap box. :running: