PDA

View Full Version : IRIS EAP with FSX:Acceleration

AndyE1976
April 8th, 2010, 12:35
I see on the IRIS website and fspilotshop.com that the EAP is not compatible with FSX Accel or SP2. Is there anyone using this successfully with Accel/SP2 or any known workaround for this?

I'm after a decent Eurofighter and this seems like the closest option, but I have accel and SP2.

tigisfat
April 8th, 2010, 12:36
I see on the IRIS website and fspilotshop.com that the EAP is not compatible with FSX Accel or SP2. Is there anyone using this successfully with Accel/SP2 or any known workaround for this?

I'm after a decent Eurofighter and this seems like the closest option, but I have accel and SP2.

I've seen people use it before. For FSX/acceleration, I'd get the AFS version. It doesn't have the best VC, but it does have incredible flight dynamics and sounds, plus you can fly in formation.

warchild
April 8th, 2010, 12:46
when we started updating the EAP for FSX, we had one of the original engineers involved and he was saying how it could flip over and fly backwards for a short distance before flipping back over and resuming its normal flight path. That totally threw me for a loop and i never have been able to duplicate it, which is one of the reasons why you dont see it in fsx. i mean really, if it aint right, it aint right, and i dont like handing out placebo's. its a great plane though. deserves some attention..

CheckSix
April 9th, 2010, 00:56
Pam, I didn't know you were involved with the IRIS EAP project... For my ignorance I thought it was just DB and myself... That's going back a LONG ways.

At the risk of of starting a fierce debate; in regards to the "flip & reverse" manouver I highly doubt the aircraft was capable, perhaps at height with long ways to fall but TBO the EAP really wasn't that far advanced with it's flight augmentation software. It was merely a technology demonstrator. An amazing demonstrator but only that.

The AFS Typhoon has a lot of issues, still. The FDE isn't that good, the sounds are raucous and the VC hits frames. I am sure AFS will iron the bugs out though, it has come a long way since the first version.

The IRIS EAP: Being instrumental in it's Virtual Birth (I kept nagging DB for it over a period of years until he finally relented before I drove him insane) and conducting a lot of design brain storming with DB over the "What if" versions and writing some of the first flight dynamics for them I can safely say that the FDE is purely fantasy for all versions in the product. We just could not do the real aircraft justice with our (at the time) limited knowledge of the FSX workings. We ultimately ended up with a compromise that I still think works extremely well and I still fly the EAP and its variants and enjoy the product. Now had we your Tigershark FDE for the EAP perhaps we may have been getting some where... Food for thought Pam... Perhaps a wee update? Nudge, nudge... :D :D :D

I would recommend it purely on value for money if nothing else, an IRIS trademark.

My opinion... Go for the IRIS product, but then of course I am biased... EAP is mah first love... **Sighs**

AndyE1976
April 9th, 2010, 06:41
I've seen people use it before. For FSX/acceleration, I'd get the AFS version. It doesn't have the best VC, but it does have incredible flight dynamics and sounds, plus you can fly in formation.

After I received the AFS Tornado at Christmas and saw the poor quality there it really turned me off their products. Doesn't their eurofighter have the prop gauges like the tornado does?

I may try the IRIS offering and see if I can get it to work

warchild
April 9th, 2010, 15:10
welll, acording to the engineer, it could flip over backwards, but that not withstanding, i cant do anything on the eap unless david gives it a green light..
i did a side by side ( number for number ) comparrison with the eurofighter some time ago and i coudnt help but wonder, what were they thinking?? the eaps CG is diectly in the middle between the elevators and the canard 9n ergo its ability to flip ) and that canard on the eap has enough surface area to be a whole nuther wing practically.. Given its >2:1 power to weight ratio, the eap, even though only a demonstrator, was SO much better than its offspring.. its one of the few times ive done that kind of comparison and walked away liking the older technology better..

My involvement with the EAP didnt come about till davids original idea to update it to fsx.. before that, it became one of my favorite planes in fs9 and graced my signature banner for quite some time. beautiful plane.. simply beautiful.. glad you talked him into it.. at least for a while we had something that was not only exotic, but lots of fun too..

AndyE1976
April 9th, 2010, 16:39
ok, so what are the issues with using the EAP with acceleration and SP2? And are there any workarounds?

I'm definitely interested in getting it, but only if there's a chance that I can use it! I have the IRIS vulcan which is one of my 'benchmark' aircraft that I compare any new acquisition, so I would love to be able to add their EAP to my collection.

warchild
April 9th, 2010, 19:03
to the best of my knowledge, the entire fs9 bird. i could be wrong though as david did a whole new model for fsx development, but it never went to beta. However, i've never had to try and use the fs9 bird in fsx so i dont know whether that version will work or not.. i imagine that at worst, textures and some advanced animations will not work, but usually, at least the textures are not too difficult to modify..

CheckSix
April 10th, 2010, 00:56
Huh... Thats real strange, the IRIS EAP was FSX right from the get go, the FS9 version was secondary, but anyways...

The EAP is totally ready to go FSX, with Accel & SP2 I have had no probs at all. Everything is Gucci.

The only thing I will say is that the IRIS EAP was brought about at the very beginning of FSX so its not competitive with other upto date products you will see today, a couple years down the line.

AndyE1976
April 10th, 2010, 06:34
Excellent, thanks very much.

I'll give it a shot.

AndyE1976
April 10th, 2010, 07:27
Well I can confirm that it does indeed work fine in FSX with Acceleration. The only two issues I've encountered were some wacky horizontal bars on the HUD and ineffective wheel brakes (but who needs to land anyway, right!). It's quite possible that the latter is something I'm doing wrong as I haven't read the manual and was just trying it out.

I may possibly try the AFS Eurofighter at a later date, but for now this will satisfy that requirement.

Now if IRIS produced a Pro series Eurofighter Typhoon that would be amazing.