PDA

View Full Version : An Elementary Help Request... H-E-L-P-P-P!!!

Stan V.
April 8th, 2010, 09:52
Most of you have done this at one time or another and it's a pretty simple concept but, lucky me, I've never had to do it - until now. All of a sudden my fsx has startred blowing itself (and the computer) out of action after about a minute or two of flight. I actually have to manually reboot the computer. I am thinking (without any particular justificatioin) that I may need to let FSX reconstruct the fsx.cfg file. Should I just completely delete or move the existing fsx.cfg file -or- instead delete everything in it except the gauge registrations and the display hardware id and then file it back in place. What is the preferred method? Does anyone have any idea of anything else I should try?

Core Duo CPU OC to 3.45 MHz, 4 GB main memory, Nvidia GEForce 8800 GTS w/512 MB, Win XP Professional w/IE8

Stan V

limjack
April 8th, 2010, 10:26
Hi Stan, save (or backup) the fsx.cfg file first before you delete it. For me I have deleted mine and when fsx rebuilt the new one it did not work properly so I deleted it and went back to the old. Anyhow, hope it works for ya so you can get back to flying.

Jim

harleyman
April 8th, 2010, 15:08
save a copy of your FSX..Just for a reference to your tweaks you have...

NEVER migrate an old FSX config back in...let it build an new one, then rewrite that one again as your old was...

anthony31
April 9th, 2010, 00:19
STOP!!

Save a copy of your Controls/Standard.XML file as well. There should be a Controls folder in the same folder as your fsx.cfg (at least there is in my XP system).

Deleting the fsx.cfg will also make FSX rebuild the standard.xml file.

The Standard.XML contains your key and joystick commands. If you have set up custom key commands then you will lose them unless you backup standard.xml.

Hurricane91
April 9th, 2010, 04:09
STOP!!

Save a copy of your Controls/Standard.XML file as well.

Thanks for that tip Anthony.

Lionheart
April 9th, 2010, 10:51
STOP!!

Save a copy of your Controls/Standard.XML file as well. There should be a Controls folder in the same folder as your fsx.cfg (at least there is in my XP system).

Deleting the fsx.cfg will also make FSX rebuild the standard.xml file.

The Standard.XML contains your key and joystick commands. If you have set up custom key commands then you will lose them unless you backup standard.xml.

Thanks from me also Anthony. Thats really good to know.

Bill