PDA

View Full Version : I am honored, and thrilled.......

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2010, 08:56
My Uncle Bob Jackson died in 2002. He was my hero, and the major reason why I chose the USN as a career, vs any other service.

http://spg.navymemorial.org/individual.aspx?&navy_log_id=132546

His wife (my Aunt Sally) is now in a nursing home, and my cousins are preparing to sell her house. My sister called, and asked if there was any particular item of Uncle Bob's that I wished to have, and I told her yes. Uncle Bob had a small end table that is a real piece of history. The top of the table is a brass cap, which was used to cover a deck gun on the USS Indiana (BB-58). The attached picture shows what the caps looked like, installed.

Uncle Bob was at the Battle of the Coral Sea, and the Battle of Midway. He retired as a Captain, and at one point, was in charge of the Navy Reserves for the State of Indiana. There is a bronze plaque on the wall of the Naval Armory in Indianapolis, commending him for his Naval Service.

I attended his funeral at Arlington Cemetery, and I get chills, just thinking of the experience.

So this table will occupy a special place in my home. I am thrilled that my cousins are letting me have it.

Uncle Bob....thank you for serving so proudly. I miss you. Your nephew, Pete.

Chacha
April 8th, 2010, 09:05
Congratulations, Pete!

:salute:

And Thank You for your services!!!

Duckie
April 8th, 2010, 09:33
Thanks to you both for your service :salute: :salute:, and congratualtions on your rememberance, NC!

Duckie

safn1949
April 8th, 2010, 10:04
Very nice Chief,thanks to you both and I know it will be a prized memento of your uncle.:unitedstates:

Ken Stallings
April 8th, 2010, 11:55
I'm very happy to see such a treasure reside in the caring hands of someone who well understands its significance!

Cheers,

Ken

cheezyflier
April 8th, 2010, 12:10
man, that's really cool:applause:

Roadburner440
April 8th, 2010, 12:32
That is an awesome story. Sorry to hear that your aunt is having to go into a nursing home. That would be a pretty cool table to have in the house that is for sure. My grandfather was a cheif on a battleship, but there are no cool relics to have other than pictures. For the longest time I wanted to be on the crew of a battleship but by the time I made it in the Navy they were all decommisioned. Now that I am in, and actually know something about battleships (toured USS Wisconsin in Norfolk, VA) I am kind of glad that I didn't get stationed on one. I give people that served on those really old ships a lot of credit. Going on the USS Yorktown (#2) in Charleston which is still configured the way it was for WWII still has all the hammocks and such they used for racks. Anyone that served in that war really sacrificed for our country. Congrats on the table though, and hopefully your aunt will have a good stay at the nursing home (hopefully the family that made that decision did the appropriate research). I say that is probably the most important decision any family can make as that has severe impacts whether good/bad on their quality of life and such. Wish her the best.

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2010, 12:36
That is an awesome story. Sorry to hear that your aunt is having to go into a nursing home. That would be a pretty cool table to have in the house that is for sure. My grandfather was a cheif on a battleship, but there are no cool relics to have other than pictures. For the longest time I wanted to be on the crew of a battleship but by the time I made it in the Navy they were all decommisioned. Now that I am in, and actually know something about battleships (toured USS Wisconsin in Norfolk, VA) I am kind of glad that I didn't get stationed on one. I give people that served on those really old ships a lot of credit. Going on the USS Yorktown (#2) in Charleston which is still configured the way it was for WWII still has all the hammocks and such they used for racks. Anyone that served in that war really sacrificed for our country. Congrats on the table though, and hopefully your aunt will have a good stay at the nursing home (hopefully the family that made that decision did the appropriate research). I say that is probably the most important decision any family can make as that has severe impacts whether good/bad on their quality of life and such. Wish her the best.

Thank you ALL for your comments. My sister reports that my Aunt is in a lot of pain, but they are doing what they can to manage it. Getting old and death does not scare me; but pain does. I hope by the time I have such physical ailments, that pain can be taken away. My Aunt Sally is such a classy woman. And, she's the last. All the rest have long since passed on. NC

crashaz
April 8th, 2010, 16:30
make sure you get a pic so we can see it :wavey:

Navy Chief
April 8th, 2010, 16:33
make sure you get a pic so we can see it :wavey:

Count on it!

Cloud9Gal
April 8th, 2010, 17:35
Awww Pete! That's a "feel good" story! I'm so happy for you~ quite the honor! Could not have picked a better man to take good care of such a priceless gift!

Yay! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Blessings to your Aunt~ http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s12620.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

txnetcop
April 8th, 2010, 18:17
Pete that is absolutely great. I am happy for you but sad for your aunt. She sounds like a wonderful woman! Thanks for your service Amigo
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

jmig
April 9th, 2010, 10:18
Congratulation Pete. His memory is being well preserved by you. Thanks for the story.