PDA

View Full Version : World War II bomb shuts down Berlin airport

wiltzei
April 7th, 2010, 16:25
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36225169/ns/travel-news/

Ken Stallings
April 7th, 2010, 17:16
The problem with these old bombs is that with age the TNT inside starts to decompose and adopt more of the characteristics of nitroglycerine. So, if you jostle it, it can go off spontaneously!

Still finding raw ordinance from World War I, so unfortunately this kind of stuff is likely to continue a long time.

Ken

Snuffy
April 7th, 2010, 17:21
Here in the states, depending on where you build, we're still diggin up American Civil War ordinance. Can be just as deadly.

HouseHobbit
April 7th, 2010, 17:34
Yes, it is a big problem in many places around the world..

While I was in europe, one of our M-60 tanks ran over (believed to be) a WW2 mine,
It blew the whole side off the tank, Thank God it didn't penatrate the Hull
No one was killed or even badly Hurt. But it was a big lesson to everyone..

At least the Hull took the Blast, But the track, road wheels,and final drive ended up in Pieces..
Took us two days to repair the M-60 A1 and get her home again..

I was beside this M-60 in my Tank and it was unbelieveable to watch 52 tons of Steel Jump 5 feet off the ground and land in Pieces..
It did endear a sense of trust in my M-60 when both the men in the Blown up tank walked away..

I know there are Disposal teams very busy in Europe still finding and removing all of this..

Bjoern
April 7th, 2010, 17:49
Quite normal. Halfway large-scale evacuations? No problem.
Our bomb experts also became quite proficient removing these relics since there is/were enough of 'em around to practice on.

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2010, 17:51
When I was on Guam in 1993-94, it was very common to hear about unexploded ordnance being found.........NC

Wild Bill Kelso
April 8th, 2010, 02:12
I always knew it's an explosive city I live in... :pop4:

Just the day before the Tegel bomb was found and the airport was shut down, just some 2 km from my house a WW2 german bomb, fittet with a russian igniter was discovered at Ostkreuz station, an important railroad junction where about 140.000 passengers per day change trains.
http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Bahnhof_Berlin_Ostkreuz&language=de&params=52.503055555556_N_13.468888888889_E_dim:500 0_region:DE-BE_type:landmark

It rested just one meter below the railroad tracks for 65 years, passed over by a gazillion trains...

Bjoern
April 8th, 2010, 07:09
It rested just one meter below the railroad tracks for 65 years, passed over by a gazillion trains...

Scary.

Especially since my city got the iron rain back in the day too and imagining living over an unexploded bomb isn't that pleasant...

Clarke123
April 8th, 2010, 14:23
Anyone remember that story a while back about a woman finding a WWII grenade without a pin in a bag of potatoes

HouseHobbit
April 8th, 2010, 15:39
Anyone remember that story a while back about a woman finding a WWII grenade without a pin in a bag of potatoes

How would you Cook a grenade??
It seems to me it would be hard to eat Too..

I couldn't help that..
I would hate to find a grenade anywhere without a Pin in it..

Clarke123
April 8th, 2010, 15:50
How would you Cook a grenade??
Carefully

Couldn't help it either :icon_lol:

Snuffy
April 8th, 2010, 15:51

Nope sorry ... can't say as I have. Musta been a U.K. thing. :wiggle:

Clarke123
April 8th, 2010, 15:57
Nope sorry ... can't say as I have. Musta been a U.K. thing. :wiggle:
2007 in Italy. The exploding spud originally came from a farm in France, Granny bought it in Naples.