PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3... yes or no?

MaskRider
November 9th, 2008, 11:26
Hi guys. I run Windows XP Pro on my computer. With the exception of SP3 the install is totally up to date. I haven't installed SP3 because I am hesitant to mess with something that ain't broke.

Any thoughts? Is SP3 a necessity?
Thanks.

Wulf190
November 9th, 2008, 11:27
I have XP pro SP3, and I don't have any issues.

ben54b
November 9th, 2008, 12:04
I work for a public school district and it is loaded on all of the computers. We tested it and installed it on a few test machines first. Also running on my older home machine with no problems.

So Far So Good!!!
:monkies:

Ben

Cratermaker
November 9th, 2008, 12:18
No problems here with Home or Pro SP3 install with games or any programs that I have.

JoeW
November 9th, 2008, 12:47
Why not just bite the bullet and put it in? You are going to need it sooner or later. I just let all the program install updates as they come out. I don't go to sites or use software that would do any damage ....... so why not?

huub vink
November 9th, 2008, 13:23
Like all above, I have it installed and experience not a single problem.

Cheers,
Huub

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 13:26
I held off when it was first released as there were some reports of issues but I installed it a couple of weeks ago and everything has been fine here.

The B24 Guy
November 9th, 2008, 13:30
I had a problem with Zone Alarm at first, but an update fixed that.

No other problems with home or pro.

Regards,
B24Guy

Willy
November 9th, 2008, 13:45
I've yet to install it on the if it aint broke, why fix it principle.

middle
November 9th, 2008, 13:50
MR, I installed it finally and so far so good...it installed flawlessly and it works fine.....there's a long list at the MS site about what it all does and altho a lot of the functions probably don't apply to me or they are so arcane that I wouldn't know hwta they do anyway but it works. I know when it first was available there were quite a few problems with it but they seem to have fixed the problems.....middle

Dangerousdave26
November 9th, 2008, 13:52
SP3 had issues with PC's that had AMD processors. There were no issues with PC's that had Intel Processors.

The only other issues I remember were people who did not have enough hard drive space to install it.

I have loaded it on 5 PC to date with out any problems.

Dave

MaskRider
November 9th, 2008, 14:01
Thanks for all the input guys.

I finally screwed up my courage and installed it.

The download and install went smoothly- no hitches.
As far as I can see all systems are functioning normally.

Cheers,
Chris

cheezyflier
November 9th, 2008, 14:17
good luck, when i installed it i had all kinds of problems. screwed up my registry. it was a beta at that time though, maybe they have fixed it since then.

Willy
November 9th, 2008, 15:25
SP3 had issues with PC's that had AMD processors.

I think I'll just keep my poor old AMD Athlon away from it.

OBIO
November 9th, 2008, 15:50
Have SP3 installed in my XP Home Edition and all is well....system is smooth, stable, and problem free.

Last night I did an upgrade and rebuild to my nephews system (added 256meg Ram, swapped out an older 128meg video card for a newer 256meg card, replaced a broken DVD-ROM drive with a DVD Rewritable drive, full format of C drive and a clean install of XP Home) and was not able to get the SP3 to download and install....tried again this morning and it still would not download.

OBIO

Ickie
November 9th, 2008, 16:08
here is the only issue I had
here is the fix

============================
Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER

Cameljockey
November 9th, 2008, 17:00
It actually improved mine. I upgraded from a P4 to a C2Duo E8500 and there is a dual core optimizer in SP3 similar to the one for AMD processors. No problem here either!:jump:

CJ

exc141ac
November 10th, 2008, 05:18
FWIW I waited for the dust to settle also --
never seemed to be much fuss on this one --
so I put it on . . .
and no problems.

MaskRider
November 10th, 2008, 06:13
here is the only issue I had
here is the fix

============================
Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER

Hi Ickie,

Can you explain this a little more? What does Wups2.dll do? Why does it need to be set up? What does it have to do with SP3? Does SP3 disable it- or unregister it? Thanks.

txnetcop
November 10th, 2008, 06:20
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

This should help
Ted

MaskRider
November 10th, 2008, 06:35
Thanks for that link, Ted.

How would we know if we are having such an issue? After installing SP3 I did another update check and downloaded/installed 3 or 4 final updates.

I haven't tried using automatic update- I hate it and never have used it. I did notice that upon restart after installing SP3 I was asked if I wanted to start Auto Update- I chose not to.

How would I know if this issue is even causing me a problem? Right now I am totally up to date and there are no updates for me to get.

The puter is working fine right now. As with CJ, I think I can see a noticeable improvement- and the thing was running great even before.

I guess not worrying about it is the best thing.

Thanks.