PDA

View Full Version : DISH vs Direct TV

Navy Chief
April 7th, 2010, 13:18
I have had an account with DISH network since 1997; that is, until today. Months ago, my (now ex-father in law) offered to pay for the DISH service. I was about to have it disconnected because I so rarely watch it, period. But he watches tv a lot, and took over paying the monthly charge. No problem. Well, he decided to establish his OWN account to take advantage of a special promotion that DISH was offering to new subscribers. I called to have my service disconnected, and then asked them about having it "reconnected" under my father in law's name. They said it couldn't be done for 90 days, since it was at the same location! BS. I told them to immediately disconnect the service.

So.............will be giving Direct TV a try. Personally? I watch Netflix almost exclusively.

NC

Willy
April 7th, 2010, 13:37
I gave up on both and went to local cable. Keep a close eye on your bill though. They can get pretty creative.

txnetcop
April 7th, 2010, 14:10
Gave up both but still get to watch all my favorites by the use of a PC hooked to my entertainment system via Hulu, Netflix and a host of other freeware and cheap payware feeds!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Odie
April 7th, 2010, 14:40
I've had Directv for about 14 or so years and really enjoy it (got it back when you had to purchase the equipment yourself and install it yourself). Yeah, living up here north of the Mason-Dixon line, the weather (heavy snow) will affect it but the outages haven't been that bad.

Service has been good. They've always managed to fix whatever was broken and the service calls get it "done in one". The last service call, took them 7 days to get out to the house, but to be fair, it was after some really horrid weather (wind, storms) so they were swamped with calls in our area. We weren't without service, just couldn't get some HD channels (dish out of alignment).

Always been able to navigate their customer service system with no issues. The only complaint that I have is that while they carry our local channels, they don't carry all of the independent stations in the area (just a couple). If they get enough requests, they will add them but the number has to be significant.

All in all, I wouldn't go back to cable.

MaddogK
April 7th, 2010, 20:30
Have had DTV about 4 years now and 3 techs have been out so far (they can't get the dish secured correctly), and the last time took 2 weeks to get a guy out and a lousy 35 dollar credit. Can't really complain tho, great picture, lots of channels, and much shorter weather outages compared to cable. It is getting pricy tho.

Dain Arns
April 8th, 2010, 07:04
My father has DISH. 90% of the time it's used to stare at the Channel Guide.
Other 10% it's on the Weather Channel, which I find funny as he never goes outside.
Still cheaper than the local cable in his area which runs about twice as much for same listings.

Since I switched to Netflix, hardly go to Hulu or Crackle much anymore. Really pretty cheap entertainment per month.
Most of what I watch is streamed, but we have one of their distribution centers real close, so turn around on the DVD through the mail is really quick too.

mfitch
April 8th, 2010, 21:26
We have used Dish for most of the last 10 years, and we are mostly happy. However, they are adding interesting charges. We now pay an extra $5 a month because my address is in Alaska. It is still cheaper than cable as there is no competition here to drive prices down.

CG_1976
April 8th, 2010, 21:45
I've had Direct TV for now 12 years with no issues plus im allowed to mobile my dish, all I do is report my move to a CS Tech and they give me lock coordinates for my area. Here in Yellowknife I get no signal issues unless Alaska throws us a snowball:icon_lol:

harleyman
April 9th, 2010, 02:32
We have been with Direct TV for over 5 years with no problems...It costs though...We are bundled with dish, home phones, call phones all on one plan.....

Note..Both our DVR boxes skip sound at times on paused or recorded TV..Their sortware can be buggy ..Its only for the HD package that that happens though...

jmig
April 9th, 2010, 10:10
I have fiber cable. Too bad I don't pay by the hour. Anyone want to come use my subscription. You can have it 99% of the time. I reserve the 1%.

BurningBeard
April 9th, 2010, 11:36
I had Dish and Direct TV. Direct TV kept feeding us and everyone else the line of most High Def channels ever. Well I have high def recievers and their high def box, and I tell you what, I get a lot more high def with my current cable connection. I couldn't even get the local channels in high def with Direct TV, they kept feeding us the line that they had to work out a deal with the local stations to transmit the high def signals and we should get it within a month or so, for three years. But they had no problem with charging us for the high def boxes and such.

Anyhoo, the cable is working better and cheaper.

Beard

Navy Chief
April 9th, 2010, 12:26
Well, the Direct TV installer came, but didn't accomplish anything. The satellite dish has to be installed on a pole at my place, and he didn't have the pole (said his company didn't carry them anymore?). So he said he has to find a muffler shop to buy the 2" ID pole. Supposedly he'll be back Sunday to do the install. I am not concerned either way, as I rarely watch tv. But my ex-father in law spends 95% of his time watching the tube, and he isn't happy about it. Oh well, another day.

hey_moe
April 9th, 2010, 16:53
Sorry to hear ya having so many problems. I have DTV and I am getting ready to stop the service. I pay about 80.00 a month for basic service. We pay extra for there DVR,HD and the second receiver.To me it is too high. Linda watches Lifetime and I watch the local news. We also have Netflix which we both enjoy. Coxes cable is really no different. According to the BBB Direct TV has the worse CS and mislead the customer about prices than any other TV service company. That also have the lowest rating of any of the TV providers. A couple of weekends ago I installed a new roof top antenna that picks up 32 channels in all. 95% are in HD. Cost to me was zero. This is the direction I am going...Mike