PDA

View Full Version : Getting the news by air: an A2A Piper Cub repaint

Cazzie
April 7th, 2010, 08:14
This A2A Piper Cub repaint was spurned by an article in "Reminisce" magazine, written by John Larson as told by the late Eloise Cheek Parman of Roger Mills County, Oklahoma.

"There must be a better way," J. N. Dewey said to himself as he drove his Model-T Ford all day delivering Sunday newspapers to rural farms in Roger Mills County, Oklahoma.

So in 1947 Dewey bough a new Piper Cub and kept it at Angus Field in Cheyenne, Oklahoma with the notion that cutting across the vast fields would allow him to deliver all of his Sunday newspapers in the morning.

On his final Model-T delivery he put a note in each paper informing his customers that the next Sunday paper would be delivered by air. He wrote to look for the paper on the front lawn, but not to try and catch it.

Bound tightly with rubber bands, the papers were dropped into the customers' yards. Mr. Dewey lost a few initially, but learned how to make drops low and into the wind for accuracy.

For almost 20 years in good weather, Mr. Dewey delivered the Sunday papers in his Piper Cub, N21528. He was also an angel of mercy for many motorists in distress in this forsaken uninhabited land and whenever he spotted a stranded motorist, he would write a note and insert it in his next delivery for the customer to go or send for help for the motorist.

On three occasions, he spotted accidents and flew a doctor to the scene after informing authorities. Sadly in late 1967 Mr. Dewey was killed in another Piper Cub while crop dusting.

Since a color photo of Mr. Dewey's Cub was in the article, I could not help but take brush in hand and do his "Air News" Piper Cub using A2A's exquisite Piper Cub.

Here at SOH: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=7&linkid=301

Caz

Alan_A
April 7th, 2010, 08:36
Nice repaint!

Wasn't he written up elsewhere, too? I could swear I'd read about him in Air & Space/Smithsonian years ago, though unfortunately I'm not having any success now finding the article. Anyone else remember that piece?

Snuffy
April 7th, 2010, 09:15
Thanks Mr. Dewey.

And thank you Cazz for a nice repaint!

:applause:

glennc
April 7th, 2010, 19:31
heads up if you use this repaint.

It is a great story and a very nice paint scheme but I believe there is a typo in either the readme file Fltsim section or the folder name. In the readme, the texture entry is texture=21528 but the folder name is n21258 - transposed characters that make the aircraft unloadable. The atc_id is also wrong - N21328. The screenshots show the real N number as N21528.

Minor and easily fixable.

Glenn

Cazzie
April 8th, 2010, 03:57
heads up if you use this repaint.

It is a great story and a very nice paint scheme but I believe there is a typo in either the readme file Fltsim section or the folder name. In the readme, the texture entry is texture=21528 but the folder name is n21258 - transposed characters that make the aircraft unloadable. The atc_id is also wrong - N21328. The screenshots show the real N number as N21528.

Minor and easily fixable.

Glenn

I had a busy day Glen, thanks for clearing things up, I do far too many typos in the dark, I need a lighted keyboard!

But I checked and though the ATC number is incorrectly typed as N21328, I seem to have everything else correct. The texture will work as texture=n21528, that is cfg info to read texture.n21528, you must be new at this. The old hats have figured out my typos long ago.

Caz

glennc
April 8th, 2010, 04:43
Cazie,

I've been around the "business" for many years. I'm just dislexic (sp?) enough that I do stuff like that all the time. I hate reading things I wrote two hours later.

My reason for posting that was for anyone that is relatively new to our version of the world.

I will enjoy that version of the Cub. Very well done.

Glenn