PDA

View Full Version : WW2 airfield objects question

gypsymoth
April 7th, 2010, 06:52
I'm attempting to build a WW2 airfield (Ibsely & local to me) for FS9 & am having great difficulty in getting ojects to place using Instant Scenery. I do have some Ted Andrews objects but I'm wondering if I can use things from CFS, eg, in FS9. Failing that, is there a good site to get WW2 stuff from?
Thanks.

Pat Pattle
April 7th, 2010, 07:10
I'm attempting to build a WW2 airfield (Ibsely & local to me) for FS9 & am having great difficulty in getting ojects to place using Instant Scenery. I do have some Ted Andrews objects but I'm wondering if I can use things from CFS, eg, in FS9. Failing that, is there a good site to get WW2 stuff from?
Thanks.

I think you can use some CFS2 scenery in FS9 but I'm no expert so could be wrong. There are 3rd part airfield objects available is FS9 as you know.

CFS3 is not compatible at all I'm afraid. However if you can convert any of the gmax source models that I have made for CFS3 your'e welcome to them, what are you after exactly?

Or...why not make a CFS3/ETO version?? :) The location etc is probably already in the ETO, all you'd need to make are a new ground texture and facility file. AND you can take off in formation and go and have a crack at Harry Hun!

Pat :)

gypsymoth
April 7th, 2010, 07:26
Thanks. I'll check CF2 but what's ETO?
I'm new at trying to make an airfield & although I want some airfield objects, hangars, buildings, etc, my biggest problem right now is a decent grass texture to base the whole thing on.
I have Mk1 Spits & Hurricanes, P51 & 38, Dakota, etc but the grass is proving a real problem......

flashgordon
April 7th, 2010, 12:18
gypsymoth
In CFS3 you need to grab a screen shot of the exact location. You can then use this to grab a section that represents the locality so that the base blends into the surroundings. You can use layers and change the transparency of each.

What plans of Ibsley do you have? If you want an historical representation you will need the Air Ministry plan which shows the exact location and the model of each building. You may be able to get a copy of this from the RAF Museum here: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/archive/site_plans.cfm. Otherwise I attach a post war aerial photo (note the runway extension) and I also have a scale block plan that shows the alignment of runways, the location of Bellman and blister hangars and groups of buildings if this would be helpful.

Pat & Frosty have created for CFS3 most of the buildings you need. Possibly the only odd one would be the Control Tower which was Watch Office for Fighter Satellite Stations 17658/40, replaced by Watch Office with Met Section 518/40, concrete floor to 8936/40 in later years.

Pat Pattle
April 7th, 2010, 22:54
Thanks. I'll check CF2 but what's ETO?

The ETO is a freeware expansion of the stock CFS3 game, I did a little write up for 1.2 here:
(we're on 1.3 now btw) The link to it is in the sticky posts.

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13825&sid=61bc26d53ba7ee9eaaa03e0f54200e98

In it Flashgordon has done a great job and placed every major and very many minor WW2 RAF & USAAF bases in the UK. Most of these are generic but replacement with authentic versions is now fairly painless :rolleyes:.

gypsymoth
April 7th, 2010, 23:07
Thanks David. I'll check your link.

In reply to flashgordon: Hello. I've got FS9 & can't use CFS3 stuff I gather?

I'd better repeat that this is my first effort to make a scenery & I'm learning how to do it. I have got to grips with Instant Scenery :salute:

Ibsely - I have the aerial photo you included, from a web search + others so the ground layout isn't a problem. Placing objects in their proper places would be nice which leads me on to say that I've just joined the RAF Ibsley Historical Group. I have their book So Much Sadness So Much Fun. When chatting with another member recently I learned that the Chairman had an Air Ministry plan but when I asked to look at it she said she'd given it to English Heritage when an attempt was made recently to list the control tower. I've asked EH to return the plan or send me a copy, but I'll get on to the link you've given me for another. I'd appreciate a copy of your block plan......

I have Ted Andrews collection which includes an exact Ibsley tower by the way, & a chap in the US decomplied an old Duxford file so I can use those objects, but small brick buildings (Stanton shelters, etc) are what I want.

I know Ibsley quite well as it's only 2 miles away, & I heard revving engines when a child & saw Spitfires moving along the perimeter track. I also went to the racing after the RAF left & saw Fangio racing there, among others.

flashgordon
April 8th, 2010, 05:00
Here's that plan.

gypsymoth
April 8th, 2010, 06:49
Thanks. I have seen it before but don't have a copy. The problem is it's the only plan/sketch I've seen to show the control tower there. All the others place it the other side of that curved road in roughly the place where that uppermost white oblong is on the bend.

I've had a reply from English Heritage to say they're investigating, but weeks will now go by before I hear any more, you bet. I'll use that link for site plans for RAF sites & see if I can get any quicker response there.

flashgordon
April 9th, 2010, 00:45
The aerial photo would seem to indicate the control tower on the inside of the bend. That site plan is from Alan Brown's 'Twelve Airfields'.

I also have 'Airfields of the New Forest' which has the attached plan. This ducks the issue by not labelling the position of the tower. As the original tower was replaced during the war this may have led to the confusion as they would have left the original operational whilst building the newer one on a different site.

I will see if I can find anything in my books but this may have to wait until you get your hands on the AM plan.

Motor Books http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/showsect.asp?id=211&pageno=1 now sell the cleaned up AM plans that 'After The Battle' prepared but unfortunatelly Ibsley is not one of them. Understand the RAF Museum plans are micro fiche tranparencies of the original drawings and some are not in brilliant condition and come out in A3 sections as they cannot afford an A2 copier. Seems a shame that a such a major part of our heritage is not being better preserved but when the service faces major cutbacks in operational strength I suppose this is the least of their worries.

gypsymoth
April 9th, 2010, 01:30
I'm about to write to a memeber of the Ibsley Group & will ask him about the control tower position & looking at it from the road I'm sure it was inside the bend. The AM plans are being done for me in A2 size.

I now find I have to go into Ringwood soon & will come back via Ibsley. I'm getting Sid Deedman's Ringwood Paper No.4 which I gather has topographical info...... I'll also call on a chap who's parents owned the farm it was built on. He'll be a good source of info. I'll get back here later.

Here's a screenshot of the tower as I have it now....

Motormouse
April 9th, 2010, 02:11
take a peek here

http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/airfields/iby.html#IBY

ttfn

Pete

gypsymoth
April 9th, 2010, 02:23
Thanks. I've seen them but the plaque at Ibsley has an arrow pointing to a different location.....

gypsymoth
April 9th, 2010, 05:21
I've been told just an hour ago by the bloke who's father owned the land Ibsley was built on that the tower was in the position as show in my first picture of the plaque You Are Here. He said there was a path curving round the front or the tower & just beyond that was the perimeter taxiway so my screenshot is correct. :salute:

Pat Pattle
April 9th, 2010, 08:53
This is from 'The Military Arifields of Britain - Southern England' by Ken Delve
It shows the watch office inside the perimeter too, if that helps.

Cheers,

Pat

gypsymoth
April 9th, 2010, 09:55
Thanks Pat. Pity there's no date as the Watch Office, I gather, predates the control tower & was placed at some stage in Eastwood House in Mockbeggar Lane just across the road from that North pointer. I assume those dark Ts (with bent crossbars) are blast pens? I'd like to find out what they were like. Sid Deedman's RAF Ibsley has a snap of a typical pen & it looks huge. I gather blast pens still exist at Ibsley so I plan a trip there tomorrow......