PDA

View Full Version : Running FSX smoothly with the animals and the birds

Sid2008
April 6th, 2010, 10:08
Is there any computer out there where we can run FSX smoothly with all the sceneries set at their MAX levels? I am shopping for a new computer, but I am trying to be cautious in order to find something that I can enjoy all the "new stuff" FSX has over FS9.

I reckon that if I have to turn off the animals and birds, lower resolution, etc., to get FSX to perform smoothly, why not just stick to FS9? I will convert to FSX only if I can enjoy all the new eye candy that this software has to offer.

So my original question is: What type of a rig (No I am not spending thousands of dollars/my budget if $1,500 or less) will allow mw to run FSX smoothly, with all animations, if one such computer exists?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sid

Bjoern
April 6th, 2010, 10:18
General rule of thumb: The faster the better.

More cores -> better scenery loading.
More Ghz -> better frame rates.
Ram with low timings -> better loading times.
Fast HDD -> better loading times.
Faster video card -> supply a bigger monitor.

So basically you should get a quad core CPU (Intel i5/AMD Phenom II) with a high clock speed (close to 3Ghz), a suitable mainboard, DDR3-Ram (DDR3-1333 with 8-8-8 timings should do the trick), a video card along the lines of a Nvidia GTX 260² or ATI HD4870 (or better) and a Velociraptor or Spinpoint F1 as HDD.

But even the combination of all this (plus some overclocking) doesn't mean that you can *always* run maximum sliders in *every* situation at a *high* frame rate. FSX's engine is just too old for that.

Sid2008
April 6th, 2010, 10:29
Thank you
Sid

stansdds
April 6th, 2010, 14:15
I don't think there is yet a consumer grade computer that can run FSX at full settings in all weather and heavy scenery areas without suffering low frame rates and/or stutters.

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 14:19
As much as most people hate repeat threads, I get excited when this question comes back once every few months. I keep hoping that someone will post in and talk about how their new off the shelf PC can do it. Sooner or later, we'll get close. I think it'll be when we see CPUs in the 4.0ghz range without being overclocked.

mal998
April 6th, 2010, 14:29
I built this recently and it will run FSX very nicely:

System Config:

300 GB VelociRaptor main drive/w Vista 64 Bit
ASUS P6T Deluxe V.2
Intel Core I7 - 975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz
Corsair XMS3 12 GB Memory
BFG Tech GeForce GTX 295
Backup Storage Drives: Maxtor SATA 500GB, VelociRaptor 300GB, WD SATA 320GB, WD My Book 1TB External drive
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooling
Ultra X3 1600W Power
Apevia XPleasure Extended Tower
VIZIO 37" HDMI Monitor

rwmarth
April 6th, 2010, 14:37
I built this recently and it will run FSX very nicely:

System Config:

300 GB VelociRaptor main drive/w Vista 64 Bit
ASUS P6T Deluxe V.2
Intel Core I7 - 975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz
Corsair XMS3 12 GB Memory
BFG Tech GeForce GTX 295
Backup Storage Drives: Maxtor SATA 500GB, VelociRaptor 300GB, WD SATA 320GB, WD My Book 1TB External drive
Corsair H50 Hydro Cooling
Ultra X3 1600W Power
Apevia XPleasure Extended Tower
VIZIO 37" HDMI Monitor

Ha, if that didn't run it well, I'd be pretty pissed...... You sure you have a big enough PSU? :)

MCDesigns
April 6th, 2010, 15:30
There is a lot more eye candy than FS9 has. For instance, the "normal" autogen setting is the same as maxed in FS9. What performance you want depends on your expectations. There is a big area between FS9 maxed quality to FSX maxed quality. You can turn down a few of the sliders and still get a much better visual experience than FS9 with addons.

My rig cost just over $1500 from ibuypower, plus a few things I added that I had, but I run with all sliders full, autogen a notch below full, locked at 35, bloom off, shadows on, ai, boats and road traffic at 50% and with medium AA and AF at a high res to compensate and outside of really bad weather or heavy urban areas, it runs very smooth with no stutters (I find locking the FPS stops those). I also tend to stay away from addons that 'require" you to turn down settings as this is unacceptable. Once I have my world dialed in, I shouldn't have to turn anything down to compensate for poorly coded/modeled addons.

JoeW
April 6th, 2010, 15:31
About 2 weeks ago I had a crash on my old puker. I took it outside to blow it out and it was cool that day. The only thing I can figgure out happened was that static got it.
I hurriedly put together a "Get by" rig until I can get another one.
This is what I put together:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-Es2l with an Intel Duo E5200 2.5 mhz
4 gigs OCZ (2 - 2 gig ) DDR2 800 (P2 6400)(Motherboard has only 2 slots and only acknowledges 4 gigs)
Vid card is a eVGA GeForce 9500GT with 1 gig ram

I run with the frames locked at 26 and can pull a stable 23 to 25.8 all day with all settings at about 80%. This little rig is buttery smooth.
What did this cost? I have a little less than $500 invested and am really pleased.

txnetcop
April 6th, 2010, 15:34
I keep telling people the systems are here and have been for quite a while now-the problem is them. So just to prove it how about taking Nick Needham's word. I only test for mfg and build for a living so what would I know.:isadizzy:Oh well you tell them Nick

NickN Platinum Member
http://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/starsilver.gifhttp://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/starsilver.gifhttp://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/starsilver.gifhttp://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/starsilver.gifhttp://205.252.250.26/yabbfiles24/Templates/Forum/default/starsilver.gif

http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/gekoss.gif
FSX runs fine... the problem
is you or your system
http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

wantok
April 6th, 2010, 19:03
...and with your $1,500 budget, I would recommend you checkout this shop for both new and refurbished puter and accessories. http://www.tigerdirect.com/.

You'll be surprised to get more bang for the buck than many competitors. I neither work nor publish for Tiger Direct, but ever since I splurged a little over $800.00 last year for a quadcore 8gig (blah.. blah..) system for scenery development, I've been a very happy camper since.

Go chek it out.

peter12213
April 7th, 2010, 03:55
I'm finding this useful as my comp has just done it self in last night and I'm on the look out for a new one at around the £800 range, I know nothing of building them though!

Matt Wynn
April 7th, 2010, 05:28
you're in the same boat as me there Papa..... my budget is about that.... my only option though like you is pre-built... only thing i know about PC's is they turn, on and off (Sometimes when you don't want them to) and you can plug bits into them... kinda like an electronic jigsaw... which i'm also useless with, i also know that once they're past their best the best place for them is sat on the explosives test area filled with PE4 or some other such goodie... to throw it into perspective my current PC is this piece of S**t...

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/11/0,1425,i=114951,00.jpg

only modifications i've made are soundcard, and upping my RAM to 3GB, yes it's Pentium 4, yes it's only 2.79(2.8)Ghz, and i'll admit my graphics card is an old ATi X300... see why i need to upgrade yet? it's 5 or 6 years old now... :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
April 7th, 2010, 05:29
I know nothing of building them though!

It is very easy to learn. Watch some youtube videos if need be.

If you can put Legos together, you can build a computer. Choosing the components is the most difficult part. And thankfully, there are many experts here that can get you parts lists for a certain price range.

Matt Wynn
April 7th, 2010, 05:38
It is very easy to learn. Watch some youtube videos if need be.

If you can put Legos together, you can build a computer.

what if you're more the destruction of lego type? :icon_lol:

txnetcop
April 7th, 2010, 05:50
For you guys that are forced to buy store-bought computers the basic problem is that they often use sub-standard motherboards, you can rarely overclock, sub-standard memory and underpowered PSUs. Even the $1500 range computers can be very anemic in gaming.

I only build for Texas, Louisana, Oklahoma and New Mexico because the shipping and maintenance is easier on me, but Harleyman builds and ships anywhere, just understand that you will pay pay a shipping fee. You can also build your own and I have tons of videos an various systems that tell you how to build step by step.

I test computer equipment, and component parts at Tech Corp, so I can tell you 90% which are the best parts-a few parts have gone through rigorous testing only to fail in field...oh well nothing is 100%. A good build equals great frame rates in FSX. I don't remember who said the code is so old...that is a myth. It has been dispelled so many times and yet people still use it when they have problems. FSX is good for many years to come and getting better all the time.

Nick's guides, if followed to the letter, will produce great results. I have modified those guides a bit but Nick has done a fine job of showing people how to get the most out of their PCs and FSX. If you need help, just ask up in the FSX Guides or Toy Room in the forum. Make sure you include your top budget amount.
Ted

David L6 is moderator there and a real smart feller who is always willing to lend hand too
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Matt Wynn
April 7th, 2010, 05:55
ok thanks for that info Ted, i'll be sure to set about trying to figure how to build, after all with so many doing it "How hard can it be?", will dive topside and see what you guru's think :icon_lol:

limjack
April 7th, 2010, 07:51
[QUOTE=MCDesigns;389662
My rig cost just over $1500 from ibuypower, plus a few things I added that I had, but I run with all sliders full, autogen a notch below full, locked at 35, bloom off, shadows on, ai, boats and road traffic at 50% and with medium AA and AF at a high res to compensate and outside of really bad weather or heavy urban areas, it runs very smooth with no stutters (I find locking the FPS stops those). I also tend to stay away from addons that 'require" you to turn down settings as this is unacceptable. Once I have my world dialed in, I shouldn't have to turn anything down to compensate for poorly coded/modeled addons.[/QUOTE]

WOW, I thought I was the only one with a rig from ibuypower in the SOH. My rig is just a little over 2 years old and still doing the job.

Jim

NoNewMessages
April 7th, 2010, 09:14
... I don't remember who said the code is so old...that is a myth. It has been dispelled so many times and yet people still use it when they have problems. FSX is good for many years to come and getting better all the time.

Very wise words, Ted.

After I saw this thread yesterday, forgetting the comparisons to FS9..., I thought to myself that there isn't a system to run FSX to the max, because the limits of FSX have yet to be found. The extensibility of FSX hasn't been fully researched and developed. that all takes time. There are very few "professional" programmers that have the abilities to stretch FSX to the limits, much less doing the discovery in leaps and bounds. Instead, new things are slowly discovered and developed. Over time FSX will continue to improve and mature, held back only by the imagination of those getting dirty under the hood.

Bjoern
April 7th, 2010, 11:42
I don't remember who said the code is so old...that is a myth. It has been dispelled so many times and yet people still use it when they have problems.

I said that and I stand by my word, even though I've never ever had problems with FSX.

To me, FSX's engine is a dinosaur in shiny, detailed 70s glitter clothing with a jetpack. Needs one hell of a kick to get going and fares quite well until it reaches the sound barrier. Then it requires exponential power input to go faster. Of course it could do better, but the 3rd party manufacturers supplying an aerodynamically better suit rather focus on the dinosaur's old, walking, grey and dull grandfather or deliver suits that are fine in theory but so badly built that they only slow our adventurous jetpacksaurus down. So he barely stays supersonic until the next headwind shoves him down into the mach .6 range.

There, the relation between FSX, add-on suppliers and performance in a metaphor.

Naismith
April 7th, 2010, 12:24
I found the best thing to do is swap out the Ati for an Nvidea. I kept reading reports of how much better the Nvdiea was, I decided to experiment. I took out my ATi 9850 card and replaced it with a 9800GT, both 1Gb cards.
Immediately my fps around CYVR went from around 6fps to 30+ fps with everything maxed out. This is a very expanded area of the sim for me with Van+, Ultimate traffic, FS Global plus other stuff.
Otherwise I use Win7 64bit, on a Asus P6 MB, Intel I7 920, 6Gb RAM.

kilo delta
April 7th, 2010, 12:26
I said that and I stand by my word, even though I've never ever had problems with FSX.

To me, FSX's engine is a dinosaur in shiny, detailed 70s glitter clothing with a jetpack. Needs one hell of a kick to get going and fares quite well until it reaches the sound barrier. Then it requires exponential power input to go faster. Of course it could do better, but the 3rd party manufacturers supplying an aerodynamically better suit rather focus on the dinosaur's old, walking, grey and dull grandfather or deliver suits that are fine in theory but so badly built that they only slow our adventurous jetpacksaurus down. So he barely stays supersonic until the next headwind shoves him down into the mach .6 range.

There, the relation between FSX, add-on suppliers and performance in a metaphor.

Emmm, Dinosaurs's in suits??....ooookay...... methinks you're working too hard, Bjoern!!! Have a wee rest/drink/smoke. :d

Come to think of it.....have you already been smoking??? LOL ;) :)

Here's some pretty colours to look at..

http://tewsy.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/psychedelic.jpg

Bjoern
April 7th, 2010, 12:39
I took out my ATi 9850 card and replaced it with a 9800GT, both 1Gb cards.
Immediately my fps around CYVR went from around 6fps to 30+ fps with everything maxed out. This is a very expanded area of the sim for me with Van+, Ultimate traffic, FS Global plus other stuff.
Otherwise I use Win7 64bit, on a Asus P6 MB, Intel I7 920, 6Gb RAM.

Err...Google doesn't know an ATI 9850. Did you mean 4850 per chance?

It wouldn't surprise me if the otherwise slower 9800GT had an edge over the 4850 in FSX though since I've made a similar discovery back then. The 9800GTX+ (equally fast overall) totally kicked the 4850's arse in FSX.

Emmm, Dinosaurs's in suits??....ooookay...... methinks you're working too hard, Bjoern!!! Have a wee rest/drink/smoke. :d

Come to think of it.....have you already been smoking??? LOL ;) :)

Here's some pretty colours to look at..

I've been sober since Easter Monday. :d

The metaphors just got into my mind nonetheless. The wild exaggeration and whackyness just help to make my point. ;)

txnetcop
April 7th, 2010, 12:51

You can stand by it till the cows come home young Grasshopper but you would still be wrong.
Ted

Ahh to be 20 something and cocky! LOL oh and a young engineering student again-Nick warned me about you
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

kilo delta
April 7th, 2010, 12:54
The metaphors just got into my mind nonetheless. The wild exaggeration and whackyness just help to make my point. ;)

Sure...sure ;)...

http://pbskids.org/barney/children/coloring/images/imaginationcoloring3.gif

Bjoern
April 7th, 2010, 13:28
You can stand by it till the cows come home young Grasshopper but you would still be wrong.

I beg to differ, but a "Yes" - "No" - "Yes" - "No"...style conversation wouldn't be very productive. ;)

Ahh to be 20 something and cocky! LOL oh and a young engineering student again-Nick warned me about you
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">Even a negative reputation is still a reputation. And the cockyness...well, I'm a soon-to-be engineer, I'm the pinnacle of human evolution and have the world at my feet. ;) :d

Anyways, how is Nick doing?
Still awaiting his input on those newly discovered tweaks.

Send my regards the next time you write him. :)

Sure...sure ;)...

And I'm still serious. My mind just works that way. :icon_lol:

txnetcop
April 7th, 2010, 14:01
You crack me up Bjoern LOL! In all fairness you are half right, but with the advent of Acceleration much of the old code was overwritten and new code written. This gives FSX quite a bit of new life still to come. I haven't heard from Nick since February and I too am looking for some of those new tweaks for older gamer systems. I still will mention you said hi
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bjoern
April 7th, 2010, 15:21
You crack me up Bjoern LOL!

Glad to be of service. :d

In all fairness you are half right, but with the advent of Acceleration much of the old code was overwritten and new code written.

I know. Given the next to catastrophic state the RTM version of FSX was in, ACES did wonders with the service packs.

This gives FSX quite a bit of new life still to come.

There's still much to do out there. My development speed is slow and the "would like to have" list is loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong. :)

I haven't heard from Nick since February and I too am looking for some of those new tweaks for older gamer systems. I still will mention you said hi

Thanks Ted!