PDA

View Full Version : a "what if" or "can it be done?"

Daveroo
April 6th, 2010, 09:50
im not a aircraft builder but i did buy fsds(i think thats the name of the program) but im not smart enough to figure it out...

my idea is....and id love this real live not just in FSX...

what if you took a barron 58 and put PW PT6A engines on it? im sure it would need mods..maybe spar strengthing,winglets ect...but could it be done to the stock FSX barron?or is it all locked up and not modifyable?i know if i were the billionaire i wanna be...id have one built no mater the cost....:cowboy:

Kavehpd
April 6th, 2010, 09:57
The visual model has nothing to do with the FDE. You could have any visual model (e.g. a teapot or a broom stick) that flies like a fighter jet or a hot air balloon.

You can easily modify the default Barron to fly however you want it. Read the SDK to understand how you can modify its flight dynamics.

Daveroo
April 6th, 2010, 10:09
whuts an SDK? and where do you find it?

Lionheart
April 6th, 2010, 10:21
Hey David,

The 'SDK' is what we use as an instruction book. Its on the FSX CD's, I think in the Extra's folder on Disc1, (I cant remember its exact location and name presently).

There are many pages in there on subjects, such as how to make gauges, XML code, air files, making models in Max, Gmax, etc...

A simpler way to do this is to....
* Get the specs on the engines you want
* Create a duplicate Baron folder
* Copy/paste in the KingAir airfile set and modify to a new Baron Turboprop set
* Go to the turbine and jet sections and modify the turbines to the specs of jets you found for the Baron (I am sure they will be much smaller then the KingAirs engines), and change/modify. Also, change the weights and airframe dimensions to that of the Baron. Some, such as airframe, you can copy/paste over. (Airframe meaning 'airplane geometry' section).
* Install a turboprop Soundpack set, preferably a twin such as the KingAir

With those done and carried out, you should then be able to open up FSX, find a new Baron entry of your plane, and have a turboprop complete with sound, ready to fly.

You will probably have to set up your lights and CG static height settings again as it will be different on the KingAir. Some can be copy/pasted over from the Baron, some cannot. Changing dimensions on the lights and height is done via 'hit and miss' adjustments, 'reset/reboot/check... repeat until correct'.

I hope that helps.

Bill

Piglet
April 6th, 2010, 19:54
Hell, a Kingair IS a Baron 58 with PT-6's hung on it!:wavey:

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 20:55
I have seen turboprop bonanzas, so it probably can be done.

Brett_Henderson
April 7th, 2010, 02:53
A non-pressurized, turbine twin, that barely holds 6 people ??

Even those turbine Bonanzas (there's one at my home airport), are more a novelty than anything else. Turbines don't shine until you get well above where you'd have to be on oxygen.

Caravan type aircraft are set up with props for the brute-force HP/weight that a turbine provides.. and because turbines are more practical for heavy, commercial use .. ala Otters/Beavers.