View Full Version : interesting instrument

cheezyflier
April 6th, 2010, 09:15
i never knew these existed until yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJswfXKJ3s

Clarke123
April 6th, 2010, 09:25
How'd he get hold of Buck Rogers' drum kit :icon_lol:

That was really good. I wonder if there is any electrical component, it sounded a bit synthesised in parts. If it's just a bit of metal thats amazing.

stiz
April 6th, 2010, 10:01
what instruments that?? an 2 inverted kettle drums stuck together??

Tako_Kichi
April 6th, 2010, 10:36
That was brilliant playing. Thanks for posting it. :ernae:

He's using a hand technique used by Indian tabla players and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the guy hadn't had formal training on tablas and percussion instruments in general.

A friend of a friend back in England was a very talented percussionist and attained a Music Degree as such. As part of his Uni course he took tabla classes from a very renowned Indian 'master' player and was advised that he was the best 'white' player the instructor had ever seen. After Uni he went out to Bali in Indonesia to teach English and to play in one of the famous indigenous orchestras out there. He ended up marrying a Balinese Tribal Princess and still lives out there.

It was Steve who introduced me to the work of an amazing trio and the fusion of different musical styles in stunning harmony. Zakir Hussain on tabla, John McGlaughlin on jazz guitar and Jan Garbarek on woodwind.

o5_S8DHsPFo

'Making Music' still remains one of my all time favourite albums.

harleyman
April 6th, 2010, 16:09
That was really cool..Sort of like an inverted steele drum, and almost sounded synthesised at times too...

boxcar
April 6th, 2010, 16:18
Really cool, cheezyflyer! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-021.gif Amazing how much sound comes from even light tapping. Nice intro... never knew they existed before either.

djscoo
April 6th, 2010, 16:36
I thought it was just a modified Steel Drum at first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_%28musical_instrument%29

tigisfat
April 6th, 2010, 17:15
Like many here, I play a whole mess of instruments. I was absolutely captivated by that from beginning to end. I'm glad we have Newshawks to share incredible finds like that with each other.

Dain Arns
April 6th, 2010, 17:23
And when you're hungry you can turn it upside down and use it for making Stir Fry... :icon_lol:
(Oh I know some of you were thinking that...)

Pretty cool, indeed. :d

Henry
April 6th, 2010, 17:32
And when you're hungry you can turn it upside down and use it for making Stir Fry... :icon_lol:
(Oh I know some of you were thinking that...)

Pretty cool, indeed. :d
i got a wok
H

demorier
April 7th, 2010, 01:29
My hands hurt just watching it.....amazing sound.

TomSteber
April 7th, 2010, 04:25
Freakin' awesome! I am a drummer and do from time to time also play Conga's.
Just great playing. Very much like playing steel drums but with his hands.
One thing I haven't seen written here yet is how cool the song is.
I thought the song was really good. Very mesmerizing.
Thanks for posting Cheezy!

Dain Arns
April 7th, 2010, 07:25
i got a wok
H

So do I, Henry. I love Stir Fry.
Probably why I saw it as a potential Wok. :icon_lol:

Actually it doesn't seem like it takes very much pressure on the surface to make it resonate.

I like this one too:

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3LfJLvuZqmQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

tigisfat
April 7th, 2010, 09:24
I am now obssessed with these things. It's too bad they cost like 5,000 dollars.

Chacha
April 7th, 2010, 09:31
Thanks for sharing cheezy...

real cool sounds...

OBIO
April 7th, 2010, 09:44
I am now obssessed with these things. It's too bad they cost like 5,000 dollars.

There's a guy on YouTube that turns an empty (new and unused, never held gas before) propane tank...like for a BBQ grill...into a very neat sounding Tongue Drum. There's even info for the site where you can download the plans and directions.

Do a Google search for Dennis Havlena. He invented the propane tank drum and a really odd looking drum made out of PVC pipe.

OBIO