PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Yoke

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 10:00
I asked this question in the 'Toy Room' forum but I guess not many people visit there there days so I thought I would ask here as it is FSX related as that's what I fly in mostly.

I have the chance to buy a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke and I am wondering if there are any significant advantages over the Saitek X52 I am currently using.

I have also read a lot of bad press during my research re. the early releases having problems with odd behaviour and spurious signals being sent to the sim.

Before I part with the money I thought I would ask here for opinions (good or bad) especially from forum members who actually have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.

So, is it worth the money? Is there an advantage to using a yoke over a HOTAS (other than the added realism)? Are there enough buttons/controls compared to the X52 which has more than enough for FSX.

I am more than happy with the X52 at the moment so the yoke would just be a nice tool to have for the GA and Mil aircraft I fly that have real yokes rather than joysticks. I guess the bottom line is that I am trying to justify the cost to myself when I already have a perfectly good controller and would I be better off saving the money for more add-ons (REX is just around the corner after all!) instead of buying an extra piece of hardware?

Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Bruce Thompson
November 9th, 2008, 10:06
I have one, it works great , I dont use the Profiler I do it in FSX itself.

Loads of extra buttons, also bought the extra throttle unit.

Yoke has a built in USB Hub, so you can plug in Your X52 + an extra Throttle assembly, + Rudder Pedals.

MudMarine
November 9th, 2008, 10:21
I like using a yoke in planes that actually have one. It adds to the realism level. I just doesn't feel right using a "stick" in a bomber or cessna......but that's just me.

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 10:22
Nice set-up Bruce. :applause:

I like the fact you can user either/or as you change planes. I take it then that you can assign both the X52 and the yoke to the elevator and aileron axes without conflict or do you have to set each one before use?

GypsyBaron
November 9th, 2008, 10:40
Nice set-up Bruce. :applause:

I like the fact you can user either/or as you change planes. I take it then that you can assign both the X52 and the yoke to the elevator and aileron axes without conflict or do you have to set each one before use?

Hi Larry,

I have the Pro yoke and two throttle quadrants which makes it
very nice to fly 4-engine aircraft :)

I also have my Saitek X-45 stick and throttle attached. Since I am
more comfortable flying with the stick, my yoke remains 'hung'
on the side of my computer hutch, with the quadrant cables
attached and plugged into a USB port.
I map the aerleron\elevator controls to the X-45 stick
and the throttles, prop pitch and mixture to the Pro quadrants.

My X-45 throttle is unmapped but all the button and the rotaries
are assigned for various functions ( I use my X-45 profiles and the
'old' software which isn't compatible with the Pro )
The Pro stuff is assigned through my registered FSUIPC but could
also be assigned in FSX. I don't have the Pro software installed as
it would PORK my X-45 profiles.

The combination of FSX's ability to see multiple controllers, the
axis assignment\calibration facilities of FSUIPC and the X-45
profiles gives me about all the controls I could want for a HOTAS
implementation.

I also have an old set of CH pedals...analog, connected through a
gameport to USB converter.

If you assign axis using FSUIPC just be sure to UNASSIGN those
axis in FSX or they will 'fight' one another :)

Paul

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 10:56
Thanks for the detailed reply Paul. I have an unregistered copy of FSUIPC so I guess I could register it if required. I only have it as I had some add-ons at one time that required at least a minimum of the unregistered version but I don't think I even have those add-ons installed at the moment so FSUIPC just sits there doing nothing.

chinookmark
November 9th, 2008, 11:26
You could use multiple FSX.cfg files. I don't remember how to set up the shortcuts to use them. Maybe someone can point you (and me :redf: ) in the right direction.

Bruce Thompson
November 9th, 2008, 12:26
You can have both programed in game, and you can switch from one to the other while flying, both top hats work at the same time.

Sometimes when you change from stick to yoke you've got to remember to also close the stick throttle and open the yoke throttle.

With the Saitek Cyborg Keyboard with it's extra 12 programable keys you never stuck for something to play with. I have the left hand six set to, Nav lights, Beacon, Landing Lights, Pause, and Full screen. The right hand six are, Master Bat/Alt, Engine Start, Flaps increase inc, flaps decrease inc, Park Brake, Gear up/down.

That leaves the six on the stick for Carrier ops, tailhook, wings fold, launch control etc.

The twelve on the yoke throttles, for things like floats ex/ret and anything else you need, another Park Brake, doors open, even another flaps switch for multi engined aircraft.

The only one I use a profile for is the Keyboard, because you cant see it in the game.

spotlope
November 9th, 2008, 14:50
I like using a yoke in planes that actually have one. It adds to the realism level. I just doesn't feel right using a "stick" in a bomber or cessna......but that's just me.

I do the same thing. My Saitek yoke has been trouble-free since I got it, and I much prefer the feel of it to my old CH yoke. The throttle units are nice, too. Using FSUIPC, I've set up my planes to accept input from either the yoke or my MS Sidewinder II FFB stick, depending on how they're controlled in real life. For my money, Saitek made a winner with the yoke.

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 17:21
Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it.

EDIT: OK you had me convinced, I just placed the order! :jump::ernae:

FLighT01
November 10th, 2008, 04:57

Me too! Although, sometimes I do grab the wrong one in the middle of a flight as hands move around from the separate throttle to the keyboard to the mouse, and then back to the wrong controller, LOL.