PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tornados V Russian Blackjack bombers

IanHenry
April 6th, 2010, 00:08
This is a rather interesting little article, although it’s not exactly breaking news, it does show the menace is still out there and the British Government should think twice before cutting the RAF’s budget:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263840/The-Kremlins-taunting-Britain-Blackjack-bombers.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263840/The-Kremlins-taunting-Britain-Blackjack-bombers.html)
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian,

Skittles
April 6th, 2010, 00:17
Happens all the time!

In other news, the Daily Fail is probably the worst 'newspaper' I have ever read.

IanHenry
April 6th, 2010, 01:07
Yes Skittles,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I would agree. They always seem to have an “axe to grind” about something. I actually find that newspaper quite depressing!
<o:p> </o:p>
Ian.

Skittles
April 6th, 2010, 03:51
It's just awful! The quality of reporting is non existant!

'Scramble! Scramble! Russian nuclear bandits at 12 o'clock!'

I nearly had a seizure when I read that.

letsgetrowdy
April 6th, 2010, 04:06
Oh dear. Unfortunatly the majority of readers who will look at this will be oblivious to the fact that this is truly fictional.

BASys
April 6th, 2010, 07:00
Hi Folks

Oh dear. Unfortunatly the majority of readers who will look at this
will be oblivious to the fact
that this is truly fictional.
letsgetrowdy -
What gives you that idea ?

According to MoD, RAF, and ministerial reply to parliament,
supposedly running at 21 such interceptions between March 2007, and April 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7376336.stm).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Warrant
April 6th, 2010, 07:27
Hope the Popov's honour us with a few nice visit's as well, and before the upcoming elections in June.
It will make the ones proposing a 20% defense budget cut look silly and dumb.
With a world getting more unstabile and dangerous every day, our government only can come to one conclusion: The famous Dutch "thumb in mouth, look stupid and cut defense budget" routine. :salute:

Glad we still have FSX, where i can equip a virtual RNLAF with adequate assets in the right quantity :bump:

centuryseries
April 6th, 2010, 09:57
Oh dear. Unfortunatly the majority of readers who will look at this will be oblivious to the fact that this is truly fictional.

Doesn't look fictional to me especially since some of those Blackjack photos have MOD written on them (ie Ministry of Defence).

wilycoyote4
April 6th, 2010, 10:00
In an effort to stay on topic, I mean more than usual for me, here is some information any fan of the Tornado and/or the Blackjack will find interesting.

http://us.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/25/russia.uk.intercepts/index.html?hpt=C2
http://www.bardscoliseum.com/showthread.php?t=12825
Photos on both websites. Some below.
Googling should turn up more sites for insight.

I'm not certain but I seem to recall that such flights are announced so as to prevent stupid decisions. That is, both sides know, not really a surprize and daring warning, rather an exercise. What the news makers understand and write is another matter and the same for readers.

Bjoern
April 6th, 2010, 10:32
Ah, like the good old days. :cool:

I found the article quite well written, despite one, two factual errors. The Bear isn't half as fast as the Blackjack (cruise speeds should be about the same) and has more range (unlike stated in the article).

DeltaHotel
April 7th, 2010, 01:48
Daily Fail? LOL! Lemme guess yer "Guardian" Readers... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :salute:

letsgetrowdy
April 7th, 2010, 01:55
Ah, maybe I should have looked at the full article :banghead:

I read the first couple of lines and thought this is just a wind-up, or that their just scaremongering. Then I realised I wasn't reading The Sun and it may be truthfull :icon_lol:

A friend of ours used to be based at Leuchars when they had phantoms there.

Matt Wynn
April 7th, 2010, 02:04
a friend of mine was based at Conongsby with 3sqn, i asked him about these bears and Blackjacks in December i was told "The flights are authorised, they usually hold off entering UK airspace, mostly i believe it's done to check reaction times of the QRA Force and to keep the pilots on the edge of a knife, do it too little they'd dull, do it too much they'd dull, fact is they're allowed to wander in, mostly from Engels AB if i recall, Bears and Blackjacks... i can tell you it happens a lot more than is reported in the papers"... Daily Fail yes... I buy the Sun... but only for the sports and a certain page number :icon_lol:

Russia as daft as it may sound is actually nearly at allied status, several times in the past 22 regiment have worked alongside Spetz... and now the RAF and Russian Air Force play nice together... heck we can even get on with those at no.2 Dzerzhinsky Square :salute: although not a fan of the RAF (Born in Greece, HAF is the air force i love) i admire the determination of all forces, be it home or away...

Ken Stallings
April 7th, 2010, 13:51
I cannot believe I just read folks posting that this was fictional or scare tactics. This has been happening from precisely the time the article stated. Putin issued orders for regular flights right out of the Cold War flightplans.

For 15 years it no longer happened because everyone agreed it was simply provocative. But, Putin changed that.

Nor are these flights coordinated for mutual practice. That is called a multi-national exercise. Allies like the US and India do that all the time.

The article was factual. Sorry if some people aren't happy with the situation. Perhaps they should steer their concerns elsewhere vice the newspaper that simply reported the facts.

But, that's just how I see it.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
April 7th, 2010, 13:54
I'm not certain but I seem to recall that such flights are announced so as to prevent stupid decisions. That is, both sides know, not really a surprize and daring warning, rather an exercise. What the news makers understand and write is another matter and the same for readers.

If you can provide me a reliable source from the RAF certifying that these intercepts are coordinated, then I would like to hear that. Because everything I have heard to this point says they are not, which is the prime concern expressed about them.

Cheers,

Ken