PDA

View Full Version : Doing my civic duty

paiken
April 5th, 2010, 08:00
Cattle call for Superior Court in Maricopa County. In the waiting room with 300 others waiting to be called to jury duty. Good thing they have internet access.

6297J
April 5th, 2010, 08:10
10/1 says they're guilty! :icon_twi:

djscoo
April 5th, 2010, 08:46
10/1 says they're guilty! :icon_twi:

In Maricopa county, those are good odds!

6297J
April 5th, 2010, 08:50
I know, I've been there :eek:

Lionheart
April 5th, 2010, 08:53
I have Jury Duty tomorrow; downtown Phoenix... I must live 15 miles from there!!!!! I tried to get out of it.

You would think they would have a distance rule or something.

Bill

David_L6
April 5th, 2010, 09:22
I have Jury Duty tomorrow; downtown Phoenix... I must live 15 miles from there!!!!! I tried to get out of it.

Bill

That's not all that far. The only time I've ever had jury duty was in Federal court and the courthouse was about 30 miles from where I lived at the time. The case was plea bargained so I didn't have to do anything other than show up one day.

Snuffy
April 5th, 2010, 10:09
Best way out is when they ask you any questions about the matter ... first thing you say is "He should have his A** shot off!*

After a bit they'll realise that you're not court material and send ya home! :d

Terry
April 5th, 2010, 10:47

Bill

I'm 50 miles away, and thier travel allowance does not nearly cover it.

Lionheart
April 5th, 2010, 11:19
I'm 50 miles away, and thier travel allowance does not nearly cover it.

I guess you cant take the city bus then Terry. Goodness...

Why cant they pick us up in one of those vans? They are demanding us to travel that far and into a rough part of town. Why not?

I also think they should have a volunteer program. There are people out there that love this stuff, students of law, court enthusiasts.. They would love to be able to go in and make judgement calls..

Bill

paiken
April 5th, 2010, 11:33
Get here a little early Bill. Downtown traffic really sucks first thing in the morning. Recommend you come in from the west of 8th ave as it's pretty hard to cross Washington during rush hour.

Terry
April 5th, 2010, 12:27
I guess you cant take the city bus then Terry. Goodness...

Why cant they pick us up in one of those vans? They are demanding us to travel that far and into a rough part of town. Why not?

I also think they should have a volunteer program. There are people out there that love this stuff, students of law, court enthusiasts.. They would love to be able to go in and make judgement calls..

Bill

Even the post office won't come out here much less a bus. But look at the bright side, there are good hot dog vendors outside the courthouse!

fsafranek
April 5th, 2010, 12:48
If you get on a panel, unless you want to be there, just tell you have friends or relatives who are Police or the District Attorney. You'll be the first to go.

djscoo
April 5th, 2010, 12:50

Bill
That wouldn't make for very fair judgments though. I think they want a wide variety of people from different backgrounds to choose from so the final twelve will be a good fit for the case.

That said, I would be first in line to volunteer! I was on the mock trial team in high school, and I constantly watch Court TV.

mfitch
April 5th, 2010, 13:17
Indeed "trial by a jury of your peers" is taken to mean a jury filled with people of a variety of backgrounds. Nevertheless the comments above on how to avoid do work (not that I recommend lying about it). My mother was called many times when we lived in Detroit, but she was never seated, because she knew a number of police officers and fire fighters. Still she had to sit all day to be told this with limited compensation for travel.

The strange thing to me, is that some people are called repeatedly and others never are. My wife has been called twice (though the juries were filled before she was required to show up in person). I have never been called. In my job though I would not likely be seated, so I am not complaining.

6297J
April 5th, 2010, 13:31
Saying you have strong religious beliefs will also get you excused (at least it does in the UK, in the US for all I know it could be a prerequisite (depending on the faith of course)).

Could be worth a try though. Personally I would feel guilty in avoiding it giving how many people gave their lives in order for you to have the right be tried by your peers and I have personally walked over 15 miles in and around Phoenix in one day even though there are regular bus services covering most of the city but if you would rather opt out of one of your most precious democratic rights because it is too far away then try the religious angle ;)

Tako_Kichi
April 5th, 2010, 14:11
Saying you have strong religious beliefs will also get you excused (at least it does in the UK, in the US for all I know it could be a prerequisite (depending on the faith of course)).
That never used to be the case in the UK but things could have changed of course as it's about 20 years since I was called for jury duty there.

I was called for service at a Crown Court hearing and I refused to swear an oath on a bible as I am an atheist and believe in no god of any flavour. I explained my situation to the Clerk of the Court and she said 'No problem, we get that all the time, here read this card out loud'. The card contained a simple passage that stated that I would act fairly and honestly in related matters and the penalty for not doing so. After I read it out one of my fellow jurors said 'I wish I'd have known about that before I swore on the bible!' and several others piped in with 'Me too!'.

mfitch
April 6th, 2010, 13:16
I explained my situation to the Clerk of the Court and she said 'No problem, we get that all the time, here read this card out loud'. The card contained a simple passage that stated that I would act fairly and honestly in related matters and the penalty for not doing so. After I read it out one of my fellow jurors said 'I wish I'd have known about that before I swore on the bible!' and several others piped in with 'Me too!'.

This is not uncommon as many Christians also refuse to swear on a Bible on the basis of an example of abuse of oaths which ends with the admonishment to let your yea be yea and your nay nay (just don't lie).

HouseHobbit
April 6th, 2010, 13:29
I have been called several times in the past for this.
But because I am a Christian (involved with the "system" sometimes), they always release me..

I would find it impossible to Judge anyway..

More in the work of Forgiving not Judging..

Well except for Snuffy that is..
LOL..LOL..
Sorry Snuffy..
LOL....

OBIO
April 6th, 2010, 15:33
I have a T-shirt that says "The Death Penalty Rocks!!!!". I have never been on a jury, will never be on a jury. I love that shirt.

OBIO

Ken Stallings
April 6th, 2010, 17:03
That wouldn't make for very fair judgments though. I think they want a wide variety of people from different backgrounds to choose from so the final twelve will be a good fit for the case.

That said, I would be first in line to volunteer! I was on the mock trial team in high school, and I constantly watch Court TV.

Amen!

You want to know why we have so many jury awards and court cases so dumb we create threads in SOH to lament them?

It's because we have too many common-sense people who want to get out of jury duty. And we have too many members of juries who think of it as good sport vice what it's supposed to be -- a very hallowed and vital act of citizenship to ensure citizens get justice.

Sorry, but that's the truth, folks!

Ken

Ken Stallings
April 6th, 2010, 17:08
That never used to be the case in the UK but things could have changed of course as it's about 20 years since I was called for jury duty there.

I was called for service at a Crown Court hearing and I refused to swear an oath on a bible as I am an atheist and believe in no god of any flavour. I explained my situation to the Clerk of the Court and she said 'No problem, we get that all the time, here read this card out loud'. The card contained a simple passage that stated that I would act fairly and honestly in related matters and the penalty for not doing so. After I read it out one of my fellow jurors said 'I wish I'd have known about that before I swore on the bible!' and several others piped in with 'Me too!'.

I would want you on a jury. Because you act on principle and honor and seek methods to act in a way that does not require you to forego either! :engel016:

Ken