PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Is Back!

Moses03
April 5th, 2010, 05:19
Baseball fans rejoice, Opening Day has arrived. In my opinion, the best sports day of the year. Where hope springs eternal for every team.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Heading over to the ballpark in a few hours to watch the Rangers/Bluejays game. Can’t wait!

Moses<o:p></o:p>

txnetcop
April 5th, 2010, 05:25
Baseball fans rejoice, Opening Day has arrived. In my opinion, the best sports day of the year. Where hope springs eternal for every team.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Heading over to the ballpark in a few hours to watch the Rangers/Bluejays game. Can’t wait!

Moses<o:p></o:p>

Wish I could go. That is going to be a great game and we get to take a look at the new line-up! Have fun Amigo
Ted

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rpjkw
April 5th, 2010, 05:38
I'm not anywhere near an MLB field.:banghead: It'll have to be ESPN all day. My beloved Cubbies play Atlanta at 2:00 MDT, so I'll be glued to the boob tube at that time.

Bob

Moses03
April 5th, 2010, 14:35
Thanks Ted-

Very exciting home opener as the Rangers came back to win it 5-4 in the bottom of the 9th. :jump:

PRB
April 5th, 2010, 14:55
Ok, so since I'm moving to Washington State, who am I supposed to cheer for? I don't even know if they have a baseball team, as much attention as I pay. And I was just getting used to cheering for the St. Louis Cardinals. I guess I'll just stick with the Red Sox!! :icon_lol:

dogknot
April 5th, 2010, 16:01
Ok, so since I'm moving to Washington State, who am I supposed to cheer for? I don't even know if they have a baseball team, as much attention as I pay. And I was just getting used to cheering for the St. Louis Cardinals. I guess I'll just stick with the Red Sox!! :icon_lol:

Seattle Mariners
then in the fall...Seattle Seahawks

Ken Stallings
April 5th, 2010, 16:54
I'm not anywhere near an MLB field.:banghead: It'll have to be ESPN all day. My beloved Cubbies play Atlanta at 2:00 MDT, so I'll be glued to the boob tube at that time.

Bob

I'm sure you did not like the outcome, but I sure did!

Heck of a nice opening at bat for Jason Heyward's MLB career!

Ken

Eoraptor1
April 6th, 2010, 18:57
I live in a huge Yankee town, which is funny because we're actually closer to Toronto than NYC. There's a smattering of BoSox fans here as well. I keep meeting people who are transplanted from Boston and still support the Sox and the Pats.

I just finished reading Al Stump's bio of Ty Cobb, which was a really wild ride. If you think pro athlete misbehavior began with this generation, think again. The word 'psychotic' was used right in the foreward. Another baseball book I really recommend is George Will's Men at Work. Honest, it has nothing to do with politics. It's about baseball.

JAMES

Ken Stallings
April 7th, 2010, 12:59
I live in a huge Yankee town, which is funny because we're actually closer to Toronto than NYC. There's a smattering of BoSox fans here as well. I keep meeting people who are transplanted from Boston and still support the Sox and the Pats.

I just finished reading Al Stump's bio of Ty Cobb, which was a really wild ride. If you think pro athlete misbehavior began with this generation, think again. The word 'psychotic' was used right in the foreward. Another baseball book I really recommend is George Will's Men at Work. Honest, it has nothing to do with politics. It's about baseball.

JAMES

Ty Cobb should have been serving time in a federal prison or on the electric chair! That's no joke nor exaggeration. He murdered a black man for truly pathetic and tragically trivial reasons. Only because he was a white man and famous one did he get away with it.

He also charged into the stands and beat a fan severely.

The stories about his sharpening the spikes on his shoes to slash opposing players were also no exaggeration!

Ken

OBIO
April 7th, 2010, 15:32
For a second I got excited that Baseball was Back...as in Baseball before all the over-paid prima donna players, before all the drug abuse, before players made more for playing a game for one year than the average American worker will earn in a life time. Baseball when the players were all about the game, when names like Oil Can Boyd, Rolly Fingers, Goose Gossage, Catfish Hunter were the norm. When long hair and huge mustaches were common, and tattoos and corporate logos were not. That was Baseball!

OBIO

Eoraptor1
April 11th, 2010, 07:04
Ty Cobb should have been serving time in a federal prison or on the electric chair! That's no joke nor exaggeration. He murdered a black man for truly pathetic and tragically trivial reasons. Only because he was a white man and famous one did he get away with it.

He also charged into the stands and beat a fan severely.

The stories about his sharpening the spikes on his shoes to slash opposing players were also no exaggeration!

Ken

I think he would be in prison if he were carrying on his antics today. It was a different time. Even now, I'm surprised when multi-millionaire celebrities are convicted of anything. This is not to say they're automatically guilty of everything of which they're accused, but in Cobb's case, his behavior was blatant and strecthed across his entire adult life. I had him at one person killed, and a second probable, but if Cobb was telling the truth, one of these was trying to rob him. There were many more cases of felony assault both on and off the field, including serial spousal abuse. What I found remarkable was that there weren't more bodies.

JAMES

Cazzie
April 11th, 2010, 07:12
I had MLB Extra Innings on all week! Saw my Cards play some good baseball. Cards need a better bullpen though, Franklin just ain't gonna get it done!

No major league cities near me, but my hometown has a Braves Rookie league team, look for three excellent lefties coming up in the Braves org. Also there are numerous 1-A, 2-A, and 3-A teams (Greensboro, Lynchburg, Salem, Winston-Salem, and Durham) all within and hour and a half drive from home. They opened the season this past Thursday. Plan on attending a game in Greensboro and Lynchburg in the next two weeks.

Heck, I watch HS baseball, real good in my territory, but they gotta get rid of the "Tink". :icon_lol:

Next to motorsports, I cannot think of a sports event I would rather attend than baseball.

Caz

MudMarine
April 11th, 2010, 08:03
LET'S GO RED SOX!!

paiken
April 11th, 2010, 08:10
For a second I got excited that Baseball was Back...as in Baseball before all the over-paid prima donna players, before all the drug abuse, before players made more for playing a game for one year than the average American worker will earn in a life time. Baseball when the players were all about the game, when names like Oil Can Boyd, Rolly Fingers, Goose Gossage, Catfish Hunter were the norm. When long hair and huge mustaches were common, and tattoos and corporate logos were not. That was Baseball!

OBIO
Currently playing in the Minors, Clay Zavada is one of those "old school" guys. One helluva pitcher and he's working a handlebar mustache. Hopefully the Diamondbacks will call him up before the all star break.