PDA

View Full Version : temps

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 15:12
Im running an AMD Phenom 2 965 processor at stock speed and stock fan. The stated max for heat is 62. However, when Im running FSX I sometimes get temps in the mid 70s. Now, heat issues you may say. But in no other application do the temps get above 60 including games such as Over Flanders Fields 3, Empire: Total War and Dawn of Discovery. I have the motherboard set to give me a beep when temps exceed 60, but I have heard no such sound while playing FSX. Think it's safe to say it's just a faulty temp reading? Im nervous to run FSX though if indeed the temp is as high as it is indicated.... Any ideas are much appreciated!

txnetcop
April 4th, 2010, 16:21
AMD's tend to run hot. I would never use AMD Phenom II X4 for gaming without a very efficient fan and heatsink. You are running a big gamble. I would invest in a very good CPU fan and heatsink soon. By the way your performance will increase if you keep it cooler as well. The 965 is an awesome CPU
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Moparmike
April 4th, 2010, 16:30
I agree with Ted. AMDs do tend to run a bit warmer than a comparable Intel chip.
For gaming use, I'd also recommend replacing the stock cooler/fan setup with something more robust.

Also check out how things are laid out inside your computer case to make sure there aren't any cables or stuff like that blocking the airflow through the case. The best CPU cooler will still let your rig overheat if you can't get good airflow through the case to carry that heat away from the cooler.

FSX is about as CPU intensive as OFF/CFS3...I don't know about Empire...

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 16:50
thanks guys. just odd that it really only runs that hot when using FSX. but I suppose I might as well get an aftermarket fan like you guys mentioned. any suggestions?

CG_1976
April 4th, 2010, 17:06
I use a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro 92mm. It keeps my AMD happy at stable 15 degrees with FSX.

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 17:07
some of the heatsinks and fans on the market for AM3 dont look any more substantial than the stock cooler. im afraid of buying a new one only to find that the stock system was equal in performance...

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 17:08
I use a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro 92mm. It keeps my AMD happy at stable 15 degrees with FSX.

is that compatible with AM3?

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 17:48
or, can i just rely upon the system itself to throttle down or shut off when it reaches too high of a temp? if i am not at that point where the system slows/shuts down automatically, could i even just leave it as it for now???

harleyman
April 4th, 2010, 19:28
The system will shut down..BUT...It will be best to add a better fan..Also in the bios you can set the RPM on it higher....

Here is a good cooler for that AM3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118059

rwmarth
April 4th, 2010, 20:23
Thanks, Ill check that one out.