PDA

View Full Version : B-17 - Writing upside down on Radio panel?

Timm
April 3rd, 2010, 23:06
Hi Guys,
Not sure if this is an error or it should be like this, but I noticed that on the Radio panel some of the writing is upside down or is it me and this is correct?. Some of the writing is correct. Timm

gradyhappyg
April 3rd, 2010, 23:09
Should be readable from the pilots seat. What type of aircraft is it?
Looks WW2.

Timm
April 3rd, 2010, 23:23
Hi gradyhappyg,
Sorry it's the new A2A B-17. Timm

gradyhappyg
April 3rd, 2010, 23:35
Think you are right but doggone if I can find a photo of the cockpit overhead in a vintage war ready 17.
Found some good shots from some restored ones but all had modern avionics stacks swapped for the old stuff.
I will keep looking if I find something out for sure will let you know. As in post the photo. All my old books had nothing above the windscreen. Funny but I never noticed that before LOL.

Javis
April 4th, 2010, 01:44
Check all cables are fitted good 'n tight.. :d

Yes, seems a small hickup there...

You know you can set the radios with Shift-6, right ? Nontheless an instant straight view on the radios would've been nice.... Correcting the problem should be easy.... Best bet is to post in A2A forum.... ?

cheers,
jan

Timm
April 4th, 2010, 02:45
Nontheless an instant straight view on the radios would've been nice....Hi Jan,
Posted over there as well to let them see. I'm trying to sort out myself but not getting very far. Now regarding the straight up view to the radios that would be great, now I think there is away as I have picked up a couple of downloads were guys have made a new config entry to let you see sections that are hard to see on other Aircraft. But I'm sure someone will come up with a fix. Timm

falcon409
April 4th, 2010, 04:22
. . . . .now I think there is away as I have picked up a couple of downloads were guys have made a new config entry to let you see sections that are hard to see on other Aircraft. But I'm sure someone will come up with a fix. Timm
Yep, they've probably added pop-up windows tied to keystrokes or simicons located on the panel. Pretty easy to do with FSPanel Studio, a bit trickier without it.

Timm
April 4th, 2010, 05:50
Hi,
It looks a simple task, been looking and it seems theres something in FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) that gets those GUID numbers, but I can't find it.. This is what we are after instead of Central Panel have it done for the Radio Panel. Timm

[CameraDefinition.1]
Title = "Center Panel"
Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-2E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = YES
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = .4
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=100
HeadingPanRate=100
InitialXyz=0.4, 0.0, 0.0
InitialPbh=5, 0, 0

n4gix
April 4th, 2010, 10:23
Hi,
It looks a simple task, been looking and it seems theres something in FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) that gets those GUID numbers, but I can't find it...

You don't need any tool as long as you have an internet connection! :wiggle:

http://www.guidgenerator.com/

ROB
April 4th, 2010, 10:24
These radios were not designed exclusively for B17. They took existing radios and mount them up on the ceiling. What we see is the solution for the radios, their plugs & cables and available area limited by the windows and the upper panel.

regards
ROB

Snuffy
April 4th, 2010, 10:49
From an actual 194X Pilot's Manual

GypsyBaron
April 4th, 2010, 11:10
Here ia a recent photo I took in tne cockpit of Liberty Belle. Those "upside down"
labels are correct per the original equipment.

Paul

Ken Stallings
April 4th, 2010, 11:16
Check all cables are fitted good 'n tight.. :d

Yes, seems a small hickup there...

You know you can set the radios with Shift-6, right ? Nontheless an instant straight view on the radios would've been nice.... Correcting the problem should be easy.... Best bet is to post in A2A forum.... ?

cheers,
jan

The best solution is frankly Track IR. That way you simply pan your head up to the upper panel like in real life.

I realize it isn't cheap. But, after you use it, you frankly don't want to fly a flight simulator or any sort without it.

Cheers,

Ken

Ken Stallings
April 4th, 2010, 11:18
Here ia a recent photo I took in tne cockpit of Liberty Belle. Those "upside down"
labels are correct per the original equipment.

Paul

LOL!!

This is one of those moments where people realize that nothing in aviation is ever perfect. So, the concept that a radio unit would be put in upside down, or more likely, a radio unit originally designed for a different aircraft was simply adopted on the cheap and quick, and for reasons too complex to know (or maybe simple sloppiness) the unit had to be turned 180 degrees around to fit it in.

Cheers,

Ken

GypsyBaron
April 4th, 2010, 11:43
Hi,
It looks a simple task, been looking and it seems theres something in FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) that gets those GUID numbers, but I can't find it.. This is what we are after instead of Central Panel have it done for the Radio Panel. Timm

[CameraDefinition.1]
Title = "Center Panel"
Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-2E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = YES
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = .4
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=100
HeadingPanRate=100
InitialXyz=0.4, 0.0, 0.0
InitialPbh=5, 0, 0

The A2A Accu-Sim B-17G already has many predefined [CameraDefinition.x] entries in the
aircraft.cfg file.

Among those are four titled [CameraDefinition.001] through [CameraDefinition.004]

To instantly "access" these. or any camera definition for that matter, simply add the
following line to the definition: HotKeySelect= 4, or 5 through 9.

Then, in the FSX Controls menu find the entries starting with "View Camera 4" and add a j
joystick button or switch to the View Camera entry that corresponds to the HotKeySelect
statements you have set in the aircraft.cfg file.

On my setup, using the #2 hat switch on my X-45 I can move between left & right seats,
the central console view or the pedastal at the flick of my thumb.
To call up the C-1 autopilot view I hit a switch on one of my Saitek Pro throttle quads.

You can use those same "HotKeySelect=" statements in any aircraft and adjust the associated
CameraDefinition parameters to obtain the view(s) you want.
It's quite easy to do once you get the hang of which parameter does what :)

On any new aircraft I add, I copy and past the CameraDefinition.001 to .004 sections from
the aircraft.cfg of a similar cockpit to the new aircrafts cfg file if it does not already
have predefined definitions.

On a singlr seat fighter I usually assin views to down-lewt and down right, forward over the cowl
for a better view landing and down-center on the main gauge display.

Here is a picture showing the relationship between what I have described above.
Paul

GypsyBaron
April 4th, 2010, 11:47
LOL!!

This is one of those moments where people realize that nothing in aviation is ever perfect. So, the concept that a radio unit would be put in upside down, or more likely, a radio unit originally designed for a different aircraft was simply adopted on the cheap and quick, and for reasons too complex to know (or maybe simple sloppiness) the unit had to be turned 180 degrees around to fit it in.

Cheers,

Ken

Simply look at where the cable connectors are located on the unit in question. They would not be
very accessible if the unit were installed "right side up" :)

Paul