PDA

View Full Version : I jumped ship! I am playing Mass Effect 2! woo hoo!

Lionheart
April 3rd, 2010, 15:41
Hey all,

I have been seeing this game called Mass Effect 2 alot at Walmart. It kept calling me... I held out months... but got week yesterday and gave in.

Man... Gary, that ship, the Normandy is just AWESOME!!!! I cant believe it... Walking around on the ship, wondering around in the engine room, on the command deck, in that city deep in that asteroid is just danged awesome... Very cool.

Very wierd game though. Nothing like X3. Its a 'walk around' game and you have these moments where you select your answers and questions to people you are talking too. So Eli, if you get this, its not about flying...

Bill

marklaur
April 7th, 2010, 00:33
I have just finished Mass Effect 2. One of my friends kids has it. On easy I finished it on casual visits to their place much to the discust of the wife. I did all the essential quests but not all the side quests. The game seemed very polished and easy on the easy setting. But I do not know if I would call it a space game. It has space back drops but no real space game play. I also tried Dragon Age but it was too hard even on easy.

I recently purchased X3 gold because I saw some of you flight simmers have it, hopefully you may add a few ships one day.

X3 is a real shock to me. I have not given it much of a go yet because once I started it up I though gord what have I let myself in for. I can't believe they did not include a tutorial but the game really looks like space, so hopefully I may learn it one day.

Anyway you will like Mass Effect 2 a nice game anyway you look at it.

One question about the forum, can you show all the topic replies after each other now. I have not visited very often these days and it has changed and all I get is a reply tree that I have to click on each reply to see it.
Very annoying but I may need to change a setting some where.

Cheers MarkL

Chacha
April 7th, 2010, 00:39
I have been eyeing this game - Mass Effect 2 ...

I am still in love with X3 for now,
(and of course FSX, FS9, CFS3- just getting started to get hooked)

Ace Combat... and the like....

...goodness, I need to stop!

Lionheart
April 7th, 2010, 00:56
I have just finished Mass Effect 2. One of my friends kids has it. On easy I finished it on casual visits to their place much to the discust of the wife. I did all the essential quests but not all the side quests. The game seemed very polished and easy on the easy setting. But I do not know if I would call it a space game. It has space back drops but no real space game play. I also tried Dragon Age but it was too hard even on easy.

I recently purchased X3 gold because I saw some of you flight simmers have it, hopefully you may add a few ships one day.

X3 is a real shock to me. I have not given it much of a go yet because once I started it up I though gord what have I let myself in for. I can't believe they did not include a tutorial but the game really looks like space, so hopefully I may learn it one day.

Anyway you will like Mass Effect 2 a nice game anyway you look at it.

One question about the forum, can you show all the topic replies after each other now. I have not visited very often these days and it has changed and all I get is a reply tree that I have to click on each reply to see it.
Very annoying but I may need to change a setting some where.

Cheers MarkL

Hey MarkL,

Thanks for the heads up on Mass Effect 2. I cant freaking believe this game, lolol.. Awesome.. Syd Mead land.

On the room layout, go to Display, top right, click on it, you'll have 3 versions of displays. I think you want Linear.

Bill

marklaur
April 7th, 2010, 23:42
Hey MarkL,

Thanks for the heads up on Mass Effect 2. I cant freaking believe this game, lolol.. Awesome.. Syd Mead land.

On the room layout, go to Display, top right, click on it, you'll have 3 versions of displays. I think you want Linear.

Bill

Thanks Bill,
That fixed the layout for me.

Cheers MarkL

GT182
April 11th, 2010, 16:10
I've been looking at Mass Effect 2 when I've been in GameStop at the Mall, but it's a bit too pricey for now. WalMart doesn't even have it on the shelves here. Nor do they have SH5. :icon_lol: Once the price drops Bill I'll probably get it.

Big thing I need now tho is new tires for the GTO... matching set to BFG T/A Radials. LOL And I'm trying to save to build a new computer. Been looking stuff over at our new ComUSA store. Lots of choices to make but no money to do it. ;)

CybrSlydr
July 13th, 2010, 17:52
I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2. If you haven't played it, you need to play Mass Effect as well. Saves carry into ME2 and affect the story and plotlines in various ways. Really, really neat!

I'm quite anxious for ME3 to see where the story goes. :)

GT182
July 14th, 2010, 06:23
I have the ME2 demo and it is one good looking sim visually. I see the price has come down on their website but not in stores yet. And ME3 sounds like it'll be just as good.

I'm so tempted to grab ME2 but I've gotta wait a bit longer. I'm starting a new buisness here in DE so money is tight.

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 07:02
I would say the sheer content of ME1 is more than ME2. In ME1, I had games of around 40hrs. In ME2, getting completion only was around 25rhs, and that's getting all the missions done and exploring everywhere. It really felt to me like it was designed with DLC in mind to pad out the length. Like they purposely left stuff out just to make you pay for it later. That really left a sour taste in my mouth, but I enjoyed the game anyway.

Lionheart
July 14th, 2010, 07:07
I still havent finished it. There are some cool missions I still have to finish, like finding a lone, deserted freighter, etc.

One AWESOME game....!

Just love doing a run through the ship. That is the coolest thing. Imagine being able to do that on an airliner in FS...

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 07:12
I agree that it's a neat part, but for someone who makes those kinds of things, I can only imagine how you look at it as a, "Boy, if I could do this..." sort of thing. :D

I played for the story - the combat was "ok", but I really enjoyed interacting with the characters and the dialogue. Really, really fun for me. :D

Here are a couple fun reviews of the game - I really enjoy his stuff - be warned, NSFW!!!

Mass Effect 1 Review - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/18-Mass-Effect

Mass Effect 2 Review - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1461-Mass-Effect-2

GT182
July 14th, 2010, 08:41
One word comes to mind for Croshaw..... Dork. And a fast talking Dork at that. I wonder if he even likes himself. Those 2 reviews were an utterly complete waste of time.

CybrSlydr
July 14th, 2010, 08:55
That's why his segment is called Zero Punctuation. :)

I really like him - I don't always agree with him, but I find him very entertaining.

GT182
October 19th, 2010, 07:54
I bought Mass Effect 2 last week. Haven't gotten it installed yet tho. I've been getting this new computer set up and reinstalling X3 with all I had before and the 3.0 update. It's even better now than 2.7 was. :d

FSN
October 19th, 2010, 20:31
Glad you guys are digg'n the game. Look for me in the credits under audio, Vance Dylan

Lionheart
October 19th, 2010, 20:55
Hey Vance,

Nice! That is one brilliant game. Really makes you feel like you are there. Puts you in the drivers seat. Some superb sounds going on. Have you had a chance to work on other games?

I had a blast when I would be back on the ship. I would run through the halls and rooms, putting together the 3D layout in my head. I could dream about that ship.

Thanks for dropping by and saying hello.

Bill

FSN
October 20th, 2010, 03:59
Hey Bill, Ya I did Mass 1 and all the post release content, Dragon Age and a bunch of free mods before I was at Bioware.

marklaur
October 21st, 2010, 00:03
The only thing that disapointed me about Mass effect 2 was the "Hammerhead" absolutely no flight model at all, just jump and bump your way along.

I played this through on a friends sons PC on the easy setting and managed it just on visits. Much to the wife's displeasure. I am waiting for them to get the last DLC so I can give that a go as well.

They also have Dragon Age, but I can not play that one at all. I get beaten in all the fights. I gave up very quickly with that one, but it did look very nice. I had never tried a similar game before so Dragon Age is a totally new concept t me.

Cheers MarkL

Lionheart
October 21st, 2010, 00:26
Vance,

Do you know if you your team had hired Syd Mead for some of the in-game design work? Its so much like his style. Even when landing on planets and being in wild alien cities, some of his 'line work' appeared in there. (I guess this makes it a dumb question, lol).

Some of the scenes were just so amazing, that I would just walk around in them, like that shopping mall on that one planet with the flying cars.

The main ship though was just brilliant. Some sharp lines...

Bill

FSN
October 21st, 2010, 03:40
Ya I agree the Hammerhead sucked. I did the audio for it and was all stoked till I found out it was just the Mako with invisible wheels. Difficult to do sound for...has the physics of a tank not a hover vehicle.

Not sure about Syd...sounds like a familiar name. I left shortly after we shipped ME2.

GT182
October 21st, 2010, 05:22
I know one thing, the graphics in ME2 are just amazing. You guys did great work on it Vance. Cudos to you all. :salute:

gigabyte
October 30th, 2010, 08:07
OK I took the bait I picked up this today and will give it a go tonight, I am working on getting my new Logitech G940 programed and that is taking much longer than I want but this looks like it will be plenty of fun when I get that sorted out.

Lionheart
November 3rd, 2010, 05:13
You'll love it Mike. Mind you, its interactive, and at first you'll be uncomfortable with that, but as you progress through the game, you begin to depend on talking to other people in it, trying to get more information, key tidbits, etc.

Some of the scenery is just incredible. I would always just pause and set there looking around me, stunned....

Mithrin
November 6th, 2010, 04:51
Got so many hours spend on ME1 and 2. Best thing is you can import your savegame from ME1 into 2 and then eventually from 2 into 3! Brilliant!

I strongly recommend to play it from the beginning. It'll take you around 30 hours to get through the first game but it's so worth it! Reading the books right now and waiting for the next comic to be released.

GT182
March 9th, 2011, 07:40
One thing I cannot get to work is the matching of the figures to unlock the code to open doors. Even matched them with time left over and it still doesn't unlock. I've tried till I'm blue in the face and it just doesn't work... finally gave up on ME2 as I couldn't go any further in the mission.