PDA

View Full Version : Birds and spring!

PRB
April 3rd, 2010, 05:39
Every spring the same story! I have to chase the little chickadees from my garage, where they are attempting to build a nest. Yesterday I saw them flying in and out of the garage again so I knew they were at it again! This time, it was the small space between the garage door opener and the garage ceiling! They didn’t get far, and thank God they hadn’t laid eggs yet, because then I’d feel bad evicting them! This morning I see robins trying to make a nest on the front porch. Sorry, little guys! They already have a nest under the back deck, which I let them have. But I have to draw the line someplace, darn it!

brad kaste
April 3rd, 2010, 06:02
...Paul,...I'm not too sure why you don't want the chickadees to make a nest on or in your garage. I'd feel blessed if I had some nest on my property. Some years ago West Nile disease knocked out a lot of bird types around here. From blue jays to crows....to chickadees. They've (population wise) never recovered since then.

PRB
April 3rd, 2010, 06:04
Well, the garage door is closed more than it is opened, so it would a problem for them eventually. I do let them build nests under the deck in back. Those are robins though.

Bjoern
April 3rd, 2010, 07:27
Solution: Buy a cat -> No more worrying about birds. :d

stiz
April 3rd, 2010, 07:47
we have nice spikes on our chimmys to stop the pidgions and seagulls nesting, i have permission from the buildings owner (rented flat) to pyshical evict any pidgion trying the nest in the gutters, i can do the same to any seagull ... at my own risk! :blind:

brad kaste
April 3rd, 2010, 15:02
we have nice spikes on our chimmys to stop the pidgions and seagulls nesting, i have permission from the buildings owner (rented flat) to pyshical evict any pidgion trying the nest in the gutters, i can do the same to any seagull ... at my own risk! :blind:

Seagulls=Rats with feathers

Ken Stallings
April 3rd, 2010, 15:12
Last year, I had a couple of wrens form a mud nest immediately above the front door of my house. They built it on the side of my brick wall immediately above the door jam. I could only surmise that since it was in a semi-enclosed portico, that the two birds thought it made a nice refuge from the persistent spring winds in east New Mexico's high plains.

Well, I figured that was a bit much having a bird's nest six inches over the top of my front door. So, I broke it down before they could lay an egg in it. Besides, for the birds I figured it was a poor choice because they wouldn't like folks that close to their biddies.

Let me tell you, those two stalwart birds were greatly disturbed by my efforts. The flew right over my head as I did this. They did their best to prevent their little nest being turned to dust.

But the more impressive part was on the very next day they had that nest rebuilt!

I figured if they were that determined, then I'd just leave them be.

Long after they raised their little brood I knocked the nest down. I'm hoping they won't rebuild it this spring!

Ken

MCDesigns
April 3rd, 2010, 15:47

PIGEONS = RATS WITH WINGS!

I like that spike idea stiz, might have to look into that since we have way to many of the little disease carriers around here. I watched a red tail hawk take down 2 of them at once the other day, was a spectacular sight!:jump:

GT182
April 3rd, 2010, 16:20

Becareful, those rats with feathers are federally protected. $50 to $200 fine if you get caught killing one. No joke.

A friend of mine up north was caught doing it. A seagull was attacking him for his french fries and he beat it to death with a softball bat. Cops saw it and he was fined 200 bucks in court.

Ken Stallings
April 3rd, 2010, 17:12
Becareful, those rats with feathers are federally protected. $50 to $200 fine if you get caught killing one. No joke.

A friend of mine up north was caught doing it. A seagull was attacking him for his french fries and he beat it to death with a softball bat. Cops saw it and he was fined 200 bucks in court.

Would have gone to court and told the judge it was in self defense.

Ken

djscoo
April 3rd, 2010, 17:29
Getting fined for beating an animal to death with a baseball bat seems reasonable to me.

Ken Stallings
April 3rd, 2010, 19:07
Getting fined for beating an animal to death with a baseball bat seems reasonable to me.

Right, then I guess you think I should have been fined for beating a pit bull with a club?

Perhaps however, you should consider that it had its jaws in a death grip on a poor defenseless beagle, and had already severely bitten two people, including its teenage owner who after that pitbull had broken off its leash to attack the beagle being walked by a woman, decided to take a hunk from both that woman and its own owner!

I only wish I had killed that pit bull earlier before it had a chance to kill that beagle, which it did. Unfortunately, I was in my house when I heard the screams outside and it took me too long to get that club and work that pitbull over its head with it.

Now, I'm not saying a seagull is nearly as much a threat. However, I have seen those birds inflict nasty injuries to people and other animals when they gang up for food.

Self defense seems credible to me. Since I wasn't there, I won't presume anything evil in the intent of the person so attacked. :)

Cheers,

Ken

stiz
April 3rd, 2010, 22:22
i can admit to wanting to club a seagul with a bat more than once, their vicouse things and far worse than any pidgion!

I think pidgions get a bad rap, sure there everywhere, but at the end of the day there friendly and and not cocky things which attack you just for a few chips! They sound a lot better to, anyone who says a seagull sounds nice doesnt live anywhere near em!! :kilroy: