PDA

View Full Version : Round the World the Easy Way

EasyEd
November 8th, 2008, 21:47
Hey All,

So after seeing Willy's "Gone Walkabout" and Moses is on a "World Flight" I've decided to go ahead and start doing the main Flight Simulator thing I've never done - fly around the world - in one plane.

For me it's long been a problem trying to decide - what plane can I stand to fly that long - that far. I wanted reasonable speed, range, amphibious capability, pleasing aesthetics - both real world and in FS - and a realistic flight model. Also high wing STOL capability was highly desirable. Finally I wanted it to be a plane a real person might use for this purpose. The Beech D18, the DeHavilland TurboBeaver, the Cessna 185 and 206 and the Pilatus PC-6 and even the PC-12 - all favorites of mine and all failing at least one criteria were the main candidates.

However I believe I've finally settled on one that suits me on all counts and so I caught a red-eye from Nanaimo to Sandpoint, Idaho to take delivery at the factory. I'll give it a shakedown flight back to Nanaimo tomorrow and begin the journey.

-Ed-

Willy
November 8th, 2008, 22:24
Good luck Ed! :ernae:

cheezyflier
November 9th, 2008, 06:07
very cool! i am about 1/2 way through mine, but i didn't do it all in one plane.
i switched between the 206 (most of the time) the aa-5b, the mooney, the 182, briefing time, and the dc-3. that's the order of how much i have used them so far with the 206 being used about 75% of the time so far. next i will do it all in one plane, but i will probably use the 182 or the mooney.

EasyEd
November 9th, 2008, 12:33
Hey All,

In Sandpoint I caught a taxi over to Murray Airport (ID36) a quiet little grass strip field not far from Quest Aircraft Company. There I took possession of a brand spankin new turbine powered Garmin G1000 flat panel equipped Kodiak. After some aircraft orientation it was off to Nanaimo (CYCD) in a shakedown flight where I'll have it fitted for amphibious floats and perform some other minor modifications before taking off to circumnavigate the earth. Only had a few anxious moments on descent and approach trying to figure out where "stuff" is in the G1000. :costumes:

Here is an introduction to the aircraft and some specs in the snap below.

-Z7-v6lQj7Q

I expect that Lionheart will have the next version of the Kodiak out before I get very far into this trip. Looking forward to it as this version does have a few problems that I can live with till then.

-Ed-

Note in the snap leaving Murray you can see Idaho's bridge to nowhere in the background, Seems Sarah isn't the only one! :costumes:

DauntlessDriver546
November 9th, 2008, 12:43
Hey everyone!

I'm actually working on a National Speed record in my Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker in FS 2002. I've gone roughly two thirds of the way across the U.S. in a little over an hour and a half total flight time. I hope to make the rest of the hop today... I've had to stop for fuel twice...

Which begs the question... does setting a speed record mean you have to go all the way across without stopping? Or can you stop for gas along the way?

EasyEd
November 9th, 2008, 13:00
Hey All,

Thanks for the encouragement!

The pic below is of the route. The "rules" I intend to follow are all on the pic except for one - no unrealistic flying and as for the real time thing I see no point in flying in the dark all the time on the opposite side of the world from me - a real pilot wouldn't. The route is only a very general strategy and will likely be deviated from a fair bit.

Only thing left to decide is East or West. :d

-Ed-

Willy
November 9th, 2008, 13:55
Ed, I went towards the East to take advantage of the prevailing winds.

Other than a short stint in a Spitfire over the Med, most of my flight has been in Milton's Beech D18. I left off in Alaska and need to see it on home but for the past few weeks, my flying time has been somewhat limited. Just call it taking a needed break while caribou hunting up there :d.

Thinking about making a flight in something a bit slower next time. I seem to have been collecting a flying circus's worth of Fokker D.VIIs. Might have to see what I can do with them. Scotland to Australia?

cheezyflier
November 9th, 2008, 15:06
here is the route i have been doing. next time i want to see more of russia and africa. if the kodiak is coming, i may reconsider the 182

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/RTW.jpg

srgalahad
November 9th, 2008, 17:02
Hey everyone!

I'm actually working on a National Speed record in my Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker in FS 2002. I've gone roughly two thirds of the way across the U.S. in a little over an hour and a half total flight time. I hope to make the rest of the hop today... I've had to stop for fuel twice...

Which begs the question... does setting a speed record mean you have to go all the way across without stopping? Or can you stop for gas along the way?

The official recorder is the National Aeronautics Assoc. (www.naa.aero). Unfortunately the full database and some functions require a membership to access. I don't have time to do all the digging but try a search - the most likely one is "transcontinental over a recognized course -
Bear in mind that supersonic flight over the continet would require special approval by the FAA and since the recored is held by a SR-71 they aren't likely to give permission for a Sukhoi :d. The SR-71 was non-stop, most other recent ones were AAR but there are some classes where it was just elapsed time -- counting ground time unless you are female --->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcontinental_air_speed_record

but then again, you are attempting it in FS2002 so who knows...

The worldwide keeper of records is the Federation Aeronautique International http://www.fai.org

R

srgalahad
November 9th, 2008, 17:03
Hey Ed,
What Nanaimo scenery is that?

Rob

EasyEd
November 9th, 2008, 19:57
Hey All,

Will get started tomorrow on the RTW trip.

Rob the Nanaimo scenery is at this site (under scenery near top right). The other sceneries are good too - I really like Duncan and Qualicum.

http://www.vanisleva.com/

It is a site I frequent as I live there. :d

-Ed-

salt_air
November 10th, 2008, 07:34
Hey Ed,

Looks like a well thought out adventure ahead. Don't let anybody change your name to AmbitiousEd.....:costumes:.

Enjoy yourself, I know you will!

Look forward to see how things are going.

All the best to you,

EasyEd
November 10th, 2008, 17:34
Hey All,

Being the contrarian I am I figured to go west but then decided to be contrary to what I would ordinarily do and headed east. Besides that would give me time to get my Alaska sceneries in order. Anyway - so it begins...

I petted my wife and kissed the dog (she's a good dog! :costumes:) and patted the cats er I mean kids on the head and set off - I still hear my wife sayin "couldn't you just buy a sports car instead of this lunacy? - oh an is your life insurance paid up - it better be - or I'll blank you myself!" that last part was drowned out by the whine of the Pratt and Whitney turbine.

I set out on a short flight to a favorite destination - Chelan (S10) lookin forward to some good Okanogan wine with a friend. Along the way noticing all the purple clouds I couldn't help thinking of Zane Grey and his great book Riders of the Purple Sage. I wasn't fighting the Mormon church in 1871 like Jane Withersteen was but that Puff the magic dragon in the lower right of Pic 2 sure was lookin kind of threatenin :costumes: - and the clouds sure were purple.

-Ed-

An edit: Salt NO worries on that ambitious Ed part!

MM
November 11th, 2008, 05:52
Good luck. Should be great fun!

Moses03
November 12th, 2008, 06:53
Blue skies Ed! :ernae:

EasyEd
November 15th, 2008, 22:34
Hey All,

I flew this leg a couple days ago so I better get it posted.

I took off from Chelan enroute to my next stop where in my next lifetime I will own a big ranch. The Judith Basin in Montana is an area that has impressed me since childhood. This country also impressed Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame so much that he named the basin and the river after his fiancee. If his fiancee was as beautiful as the basin Lewis was a lucky man. I caught glimpses of the Big Snowys, the Highwoods, the Judiths and the Little Belt mountains which bound the basin as well as the Judith River flowing through the basin as I landed in Lewistown Montana (KLWT) in a bit of a snowstorm.

-Ed-

Hours - 3:27:13
Distance - 599.4

EasyEd
November 16th, 2008, 13:01
Hey All,

What a difference a day or 2 makes. The snow in Lewistown had apparently melted and it was time to say farewell to the Judith Basin and move on to my first geographic continental center in Rugby (KRUG) North Dakota.

Seems the car I rented to visit the actual marker had some carburetor troubles. :d

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 16th, 2008, 16:46
Hey All,

Moving on...

Pellston Regional (KPLN) was my next destination and so leaving behind Rugby North Dakota I set off to the east. Was a nice flight but clouds the whole way usually obscuring my view of the ground. Despite that I did catch glimpses of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan as I passed over them. Three plus hours of cloud combined with the detail of the Pellston airport did make landing a bit of a slideshow but not too bad. This is a really fine addon if you don't have it.

-Ed-

Hours - 8:59:32
Distance - 1632.9

salt_air
November 16th, 2008, 18:53
Hey Ed,

Rollin' along nicely I see. Some great screenies there too!

Looks like you and the Kodiak are getting to know each other.

All the best to ya!, :wavey:

Milton Shupe
November 16th, 2008, 19:06
Hey Ed

Looks like a great aircraft choice for some great fun.

Having circled the globe many times in the last 9 years in FS versions, I must say my strategy was to always look for the mountain ranges. I have flown the mountains of every continent many times and took the time to explore the culture and sites in every country along the way. My wife has been part of some of these jaunts and did the research while I did the flying. Its great to add the history, sites and culture to the geographic exploration. Most entertaining and fulfilling for us both.

Have fun and enjoy. :applause:

EasyEd
November 23rd, 2008, 17:21
Hey All,

Salt and Milton Thank You! This will be a fun trip.

Should have posted this leg some time ago.

I left upstate Michigan thinkin I'd visit the hometown of one of my favorite authors - Mark Twain aka Samuel Langhorne Clemens and so I set off for Hannibal Missouri. Nice Scenery too I hear. Uneventful evening flight.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 30th, 2008, 09:09
Hey All,

I landed at Hannibal Missouri cause I have always liked the scenery since it includes farming (and cows!) even though it doesn't match seasonally. I rented a 182 while the Kodiak was getting a minor service for a brief local tour before moving on...

Oh an one of my favorite Twain quotes on:

AIR TRAVEL

It is a subject that is bound to stir the pulses of any man one talks seriously to about, for in this age of inventive wonders all men have come to believe that in some genius' brain sleeps the solution of the grand problem of aerial navigation--and along with that belief is the hope that that genius will reveal his miracle before they die, and likewise a dread that he will poke off somewhere and die himself before he finds out that he has such a wonder lying dormant in his brain.
- Letter from Mark Twain, San Francisco Alta California, August 1, 1869 (http://www.twainquotes.com/18690801.html)

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 30th, 2008, 09:26
Hey All,

Leaving Hannibal behind it seemed only right on my first flight around the world to stop at the place where it all started - Kill Devil Hills.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 30th, 2008, 09:31
Hey All,

A few days later decided it was time to head for continent number 2. Couple stops in Florida and on to South America. Nice cloudy day for a flight down the eastern US seaboard to a busy little airport (nice scenery BTW). Pretty good headwind all the way though and it seems the Governor of North Carolina like Sarah Palin likes bridges to nowhere.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 30th, 2008, 11:03
Hey All,

So I'm hangin around Craig Municipal in Jacksonville Fla waiting for it to stop raining when I get the idea. Gangster Bulls (Tedesco for those who know) is in Gainesville about 60 miles away so I called thinkin I might be able to stop by. Larry the Cable Guy answers the phone an invites me down to see the great bull Chicken on a Chain that he is part owner of. Says his assistant is in Jacksonville and will pick me up an drop me back at the airport. Hellll Yeah I says lets Git er Done!

Nice corvette Thank God it wasn't that ol pickup!

A favorite Larry the Cable Guy (not rude or vulgar but definitely not politically correct)

AZqyP-ScMLc

Heres a great ride on Chicken by Justin McBride who a few years ago rode one bull for 8 seconds for $200,000 - you do the hourly/yearly wage on that one!

ZGY8Av5hrYc

Now I don't know how many bulls have a page on myspace but Chicken on a Chain does!

http://www.myspace.com/chickensoffthechain

Says he's there for "Networking, Dating, Serious Relationships, Friends" ethnicity is "other" an he's a Scorpio. :costumes:

Nice evening but it's time to move on.

-Ed-

PS Just tryin to keep this thread entertainin time to time!

EasyEd
December 1st, 2008, 22:11
Hey All,

So that was a lot a bull wasn't it? :costumes:

Figured I'd head south for one of my favorite airports - Lost Horn ranch (FA80). Love this place - grass strip farmhouse horses tractor water tower cub - whats not to luv? After this I'll be headed South and it'll be a long time before I see US soil again.

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 26:30:32
Distance - 4414.1 nm

salt_air
December 3rd, 2008, 20:49
Hey All,

Leaving Hannibal behind it seemed only right on my first flight around the world to stop at the place where it all started - Kill Devil Hills.

-Ed-
Takin' a peak to see how you were doing Ed.

Didn't realize you were headed my way (KFFA) or I'da had you a proper seafood diner ready to gobble up. Fresh caught Sea Bass stuffed with lump crabmeat, and a mess of broiled scallops and shrimp with plenty of drawn butter. Oh well,,,,maybe another time.

You and the Kodiak are doin a fine job,,,,keep the blue (red) side up and happy trails to ya!

Best regards,

EasyEd
December 8th, 2008, 20:25
Hey All,

Salt that meal sounds great! Sorry I missed it.

Decided to push on to Cancun as I plan to fly down the western side of South America. Nice uneventful night flight. A bit foggy at MMUN but not bad.

-Ed-

aeromachines
December 19th, 2008, 22:13
Hello: I'd like to know more about the Kodiak with the G-1000. How has it? Where can it be had, and so on. Looks like a great choice to me.
Aeromachines
lowell.wiley@gmail.com

EasyEd
December 21st, 2008, 08:16
Hey All,

Aeromachines - It is Lionheart's Kodiak available here and at other vendors like fspilotshop for one.

http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Kodiak.html

You should be aware an updated version should be on it's way "SOON". It's a really fine plane and I really like it although I'm looking forward to the update to enhance the textures, fix the water rudder wheel relationship, etc. Irrespective of that turboprops - especially high wing bush planes - are my favorite class of aircraft and so it seemed like the right one to do this trip with.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 21st, 2008, 08:25
Hey All,

Moved on a few days ago and figure I better catch up on posting.

Left Cancun and moved on to Daniel Oduber Quiros Intl near Liberia in Costa Rica. Seems folks around here are a bit religious.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 21st, 2008, 08:30
Hey All,

Couple days later I set my sights on South America and headed out for Teniente Coronel Luis A Mantilla airport (SETU) at 9700 ft on the border between Ecuador and Columbia. Was a nice night flight till the end when I found out the airport had no lights :redf: but did have a VASI and lots of local off airport lighting. So even though ordered away by ATC as the airport was IFR I declared an emergency shortage of Cerveza :costumes: and landed anyway.

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 37:08:53
Distance - 6230.6 nm

EasyEd
December 22nd, 2008, 17:59
Hey All,

Moved on to Comandante Fap German Arias Graziani Airport [SPHZ] another 9000 ft plus airport that serves Huaraz Peru. This airport has an interesting steep approach to runway 16. These 9000+ ft airports are sure makin an old sea level dweller like me puff pretty good hikin around! :costumes:

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 22nd, 2008, 18:15
Hey All,

Another leg to El Alto (SLLP) near La Paz an airport at an altitude of over 13,000 ft. Sure makes for a short descent from cruise altitude! :mixedsmi: Nice afternoon flight into the evening. Too dark to see lake Titicaca very well - maybe on the way out. The landing got crazy as as I neared the ground wind blew me left of the runway and I thought sure I was going to hit trees and crash. ATC sure coulda told me about the wind. Fortunately the Kodiak is a bush plane and made to land beside not on runways! :costumes: Neat to see some old C-46s though.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 22nd, 2008, 18:33
Hey All,

Need to post the Duenna from the last leg. Also included is a map of progress so far.

This airport at La Paz marks a key decision point. Pretty much straight east of me is the center of the continent and one of my mandatory landings from which I could then head ENE toward Africa. If I'm to go on to Antartica for the optional Antartica continental landing I should continue south from here. What to do???

-Ed-

Statistics to date

Hours - 43:58:14
Distance - 7537.5 nm

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 13:58
Hey All,

The lack of oxygen at 13,000 ft in La Paz was getting to me as I tried to decide which way to go and so thought I'd do a short flight to Chacalluta (SCAR) near Arica on the coast - take a walk on the beach and make up my mind. Met a guy on the beach - says the best wine in all of Chile is at Huancara. Got my attention! :mixedsmi:

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:07
Hey All,

Scar to Huancara (SCVN) post haste! :costumes: Nice scenery - love the tractor - glad I came here! By now the die was cast - having come this far south I'd load up a few cases of wine as antifreeze :costumes: and hopefully celebrate New Year's Day in Antartica!

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:34
Hey All,

Had to push on toward Antartica. Headed for Pichoy Airport (SCVD) near Valdivia. Nice flight - one of the mountains in the second picture is Cerro Aconcauga the highest in South America.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:42
Hey All,

Continuing on. Left Pichoy enroute to Teniente Vidal Airport (SCCY). Upon arrival I found the buildings and some of the ground mostly white! :redf: Dipped into one of the cases of wine! :costumes: Trust Ed to not ****! When I did I downloaded the other necessary files and all was well as seen in the next post.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:43
Hey All,

SCCY in all it's glory!

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:52
Hey All,

Left Teniente Vidal headed for Teniente Julio Gallardo (SCNT). Actually had the same texture issue on this airport as the last but getting the right files in the right place sure works as the next post should show (on the take-off picture)! :redf: :costumes:

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 14:59
Hey All,

A short flight from SCNT to Carlos Ibanez Del Campo Intl (SCCI) north of the big city of Punta Arenas. This landing and the last one are starting to look like nasty RTW stuff! And I gotta say Chile is one loooong azz country! :costumes:

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 17:17
Hey All,

Left SCCI and headed for Teniente Rodolfo Marsh Martin (SCRM), King George Island, Antarctica! Plan for a quick landing and if enough time before dark on to RTW2008 Base on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper. Long flight lots of water started thinking I could land on some of those clouds! :costumes: Wierd airport to land at didn't want to risk the water and so landed near the far end.

-Ed-

EasyEd
December 31st, 2008, 17:50
Hey All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:ernae:

from somewhere on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper, Antartica, Earth. :costumes:

Got a couple cases of Chilean antifreeze (wine) for tonight and tomorrow a flight to Base Marambio (SAWB) for some chow and fuel and maybe a flight North back toward civilization! Meanwhile this is a good place to contemplate the world and the future from.

-Ed-

PS Didn't need those lights for the RTW2008 Antartica base - there was still enough light.

Statistics to date

Hours - 62:22:47
Distance - 10573.1 nm

salt_air
January 1st, 2009, 06:00
Hey All,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!:ernae:

from somewhere on the Trinity Peninsula on Antartica proper, Antartica, Earth. :costumes:

Got a couple cases of Chilean antifreeze (wine) for tonight and tomorrow a flight to Base Marambio (SAWB) for some chow and fuel and maybe a flight North back toward civilization! Meanwhile this is a good place to contemplate the world and the future from.

-Ed-

PS Didn't need those lights for the RTW2008 Antartica base - there was still enough light.

Statistics to date

Hours - 62:22:47
Distance - 10573.1 nm

Happy New Year Ed!!,

Looking good,,,,it's summer in the southern hemisphere,,,,nice move,,,,you don't have to wear "long-johns" while flying,,,,much more enjoyable :costumes:

Great screenies and an interesting trip so far,,,,,thanks for posting your progress,,,,the Zodiac looks like a good choice of aircraft for this voyage.

Best regards,

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 12:02
Hey All,

Yeah Salt it is southern hemisphere summer so the night on the Antartic Peninsula wasn't too bad. Besides I had some good Chilean wine to fortify me - while I made my New Year's resolutions! :costumes: However by morning it was time to get outta there.

Made the short hop over to (SAWB) Base Marambio and swear to Gawd I thought sure Jeff Foxworthy was gonna come outta that trailer house. :costumes: Food was good and I got a tank of fuel for a departure north. Interesting how they put the airport on the only high ground around - what they expecting? - a tsunami? :costumes:

-Ed-

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 12:13
Hey All,

While at SAWB I realized that sooner or later I'd be in Europe and so thought I'd see if I could find some scones. Was told the nearest ones were at Mount Pleasant (EGYP) in the Falkland Islands. By now feeling the effects of a hangover from all that wine it seemed like the perfect time to cross a lot of water on autopilot. :mixedsmi: Boring flight for the most part except seeing that waterfall on the end of the runway at Base Marambio and had to dodge a sea king while taxiing to parking at Mount Pleasant. Seems to be a military kinda place. BTW is it legal to sleep in the back and just trust your autopilot on flights like this? :costumes:

-Ed-

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 12:26
Hey All,

Tea and scones are good but now had a hankerin for some good Argentine beef. South Americans generally know how to cook beef as it is some of the best anywhere! Amazing what a hangover will make you hungry for! :costumes:

Knowing that this flight would start in daylight and end in darkness even though days are long I needed an airport that would get me some distance, have lights and depending on weather an ILS. My choice was simple Esquel (SAVE) as in this airport has SAVEd many a pilots but as not a lot in the area have an ILS and are lit for night arrivals.

-Ed-

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 18:23
Hey All,

After a night at Esquel I decided to move on. Carrasco International near the big city of Montevideo Uruguay. Nice flight - longish though. Kinda foggy on approach but not bad. I am attempting to run a few longer legs in order to double check fuel consumption versus range - already thinking about that Atlantic crossing through Ascension Island to Africa - even though it's a ways away.

-Ed-

Moses03
January 2nd, 2009, 20:46
I didn't know the Kodiak had that kind of range. Over 5 hrs and 850+ miles on your last flight. Not bad!

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 21:48
Hey All,

Moses according to the factory literature the Kodiak should get 1032nm over 5.9 hours at 12,000 ft and 174 KTAS with a one hour reserve. Right now I think it'll reach - barring any outrageous headwinds.

After a short break in Montevideo I set off for Piracununga-Campo Fontenelle (SBYS) Sao Paulo Brazil as I had a delivery to make. Seems I promised a case of Chilean wine to the fellow on the beach near Chacalluta (SCAR) who orginally sent me south. Nice night flight most all the way - some buffeting from the winds but not bad.

-Ed-

EasyEd
January 2nd, 2009, 22:00
Hey All,

Turns out the guy on the beach was none other than Guilherme Marchi! he was kind enough to have an assistant pick me up - seems they all have corvettes - and drove me the 17 miles to Leme where we got to crack a couple of of those wine bottles to celebrate his finally - after being the bridesmaid the last 3 years in a row - becoming the 2008 World Champion Bull Rider! What a tough sport to be second in so many times!

I've got a feeling the flight tomorrow is gonna be another tough one! :costumes:

Here's a video of one of Guilherme's outstanding rides at the 2008 finals - Copperhead Slinger is the bull.

h0t8C9VnQoA&feature=channel

Curious how the LPGA is so heavily dominated by Korean players and the Professional Bull Riding Circuit has more than it's share of Brazilians and they are good!

-Ed-

PS Had to get a bit more bull ridin in! :mixedsmi: